Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#938019 - 04/08/08 05:59 PM Legitimate or scam company? "C.O.P.S."
Security Investigator Offline
100 Club
Ca
I've got elderly customers falling for telemarketing scams left and right. I've been looking each of these "companies" up and usually are finding that they're scams.

Sometimes though, they have the customers write out checks only to their initials, which makes it harder to find out info. The initials typically come together to sound legitimate. This particular one is made out to:

"C.O.P.S." - anyone heard of it? The customer wasn't sure what it stood for, but thought it was California somethingorrather Police Society. Of course it was a phone call asking for donations for a non-profit.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#938572 - 04/09/08 03:19 PM Re: Legitimate or scam company? "C.O.P.S." Security Investigator
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
As a general rule, consumers are well-advised NEVER to succumb to telephone appeals from purported charities, and to ask instead to have written material sent to them.

Even if a consumer feels that an organization's phone call is legitimate, it's never a good idea to provide over the phone account information that would permit the caller to access the consumer's credit or deposit accounts.

Charity is a wonderful thing, but consumers should make informed choices in this arena. That means getting written materials, and researching the organization using government, Better Business Bureau and other internet resources.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#938895 - 04/09/08 07:08 PM Re: Legitimate or scam company? "C.O.P.S." John Burnett
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Good source of information on charity fraud.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/telemarketing/tel01.pdf

You could consider printing and giving to a local newspaper so they could publish it. You can even print it out and give to your customers. Sometimes, FTC will provide brochures free of charge.

Return to Top
#938962 - 04/09/08 08:00 PM Re: Legitimate or scam company? "C.O.P.S." Retread
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Are there any endorsement stamps on the checks? We had a customer writing a ton of $20 (average) checks to 3-letter acronyms. One of them finally had an endorsement stamp that I could read. I googled it and found some reports of fraud.

Return to Top
#939250 - 04/10/08 02:24 AM Re: Legitimate or scam company? "C.O.P.S." Pup
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
I personally tell my family to request literature from the telephone "charity" callers. Most scammers are not going to print fancy brochures to mail to people. They'll just say "we'll send that right out" and that will be the end of it.

Return to Top
#939782 - 04/10/08 06:15 PM Re: Legitimate or scam company? "C.O.P.S." Milby
100 Club
Ca
Thanks guys, I know it's fraud, I just haven't been able to prove it yet. And I've been told that we can't stop our customers from donating. It's interesting that C.O.P.S. didn't endorse the check.

Return to Top
#941136 - 04/12/08 01:06 AM Re: Legitimate or scam company? "C.O.P.S." Security Investigator
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
The elderly are a growing target for con artists. Find out why, what frauds to look out for, and how to keep from being scammed.

Read the full story here: http://www.fbi.gov/page2/april08/senior_fraud041008.html

Return to Top
#941901 - 04/14/08 09:26 PM Re: Legitimate or scam company? "C.O.P.S." Security Investigator
Curious Banker Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Most of these checks are stamped automatically by the depositing bank "Absence of Endorsement Guaranteed." This means the depositing bank has guaranteed that the payee received the funds properly. Depending on your timeframe, you can always return the check for lack of an actual endorsement if you want COPS to sign it or use a business stamp to obtain additional information. If there is still a concern, contact the depositing bank's fraud dept and tell them what is happening. Most are very helpful.

Return to Top
#952957 - 05/01/08 04:28 PM Re: Legitimate or scam company? "C.O.P.S." Curious Banker
100 Club
Ca
Oh, that's a great idea. I didn't realize we could return it for lack of endorsement. I like it

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z