Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#941706 - 04/14/08 07:23 PM Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2008/04/pope_to_pray_for_911_terrorist.html

The Pope will pray for the redemption of Islamic terrorists when he visits the site of the September 11 attacks in New York next week.

The pontiff will call for terrorists to convert to Christianity, saying: "Turn to Your way of love those whose hearts and minds are consumed with hatred. "God of understanding, overwhelmed by the magnitude of this tragedy, we seek your light and guidance".

The prayer is likely to further incense the Muslim world, which has already attacked the Pope for publicly converting Magdi Allam, a journalist and one of Italy's most high-profile Muslims, at Easter.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#941775 - 04/14/08 08:08 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists TheManofSteel
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
This pope is reversing so much of what John Paul accomplished. It is sad.

Return to Top
#941780 - 04/14/08 08:11 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists Snow Bunny
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)
This pope is reversing so much of what John Paul accomplished. It is sad.

really?
by turning away from pop-Catholicism? and turning towards its origins?
By telling people "no.. its not about what makes you comfortable or happy. its about the truth"

yeah, i guess thats sad :rizzo avatar:

Return to Top
#941789 - 04/14/08 08:18 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists doobydoobydoo
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Agreed Dooby. The call of Christ is Metanoia, changing one's heart, not changing the Gospel to fit one's heart. Pope Benedict wants to steer the Church away from the watered down gospel where those in authority tell their congregants what their itching ears want to hear.

Return to Top
#941792 - 04/14/08 08:20 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists TheManofSteel
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
I am in the middle of reading "God and the World" his interview as cardinal.... great stuff!

Return to Top
#941793 - 04/14/08 08:20 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists TheManofSteel
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
However, rather than working as hard as he can to alienate every non-Christian in the world, he should have found a way to continue to work with other faiths to improve the world.

Return to Top
#941794 - 04/14/08 08:20 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists doobydoobydoo
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Dooby - I think he's closing down the lines of communication that had taken decades to establish - going back all the way back to Vatican II.

I also don't think that publically praying for Muslims to convert to Christianity is something that he should be doing. If the Ayatollahs started publically praying for all Christians to convert to Islam, how would we feel?

Why isn't he praying for Buddhists, Jews, etc to convert to Christianity? The way I was taught all throughout Catholic school, if you weren't Catholic, you were damned and going to h*ll. So does he like the Muslims more so he wants to save them over the other non-Christians?

Return to Top
#941802 - 04/14/08 08:25 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists Snow Bunny
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Dooby - I think he's closing down the lines of communication that had taken decades to establish - going back all the way back to Vatican II.

I also don't think that publically praying for Muslims to convert to Christianity is something that he should be doing. If the Ayatollahs started publically praying for all Christians to convert to Islam, how would we feel?

Why isn't he praying for Buddhists, Jews, etc to convert to Christianity? The way I was taught all throughout Catholic school, if you weren't Catholic, you were damned and going to h*ll. So does he like the Muslims more so he wants to save them over the other non-Christians?

\
I would guess(a rather uneducated one at best) that he is praying for them because they are the most violent and threatening to the souls in his charge (at this time)...
I imagine that he is praying for them to achieve a certain peace that would enable them to stop their "terror attacks"

I understand what you are saying with the lines of communication, however, priority is Gods word and the souls that he is actively directing as Pope...
So yeah if we can get Gods message to other, great by all means lets do it, but lets not shy away from making sure that we are giving the absolute correct message to the ones who look to us directly for leadership

Return to Top
#941812 - 04/14/08 08:30 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists doobydoobydoo
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: DoobyDoobyDoo
I am in the middle of reading "God and the World" his interview as cardinal.... great stuff!

Can you give a quick synopsis?

I am thinking of picking up his book "God Is Near Us: The Eucharist, the Heart of Life."

Return to Top
#941813 - 04/14/08 08:30 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists doobydoobydoo
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
I'm all for any and everyone praying for an end to violence. I just don't think he should:

call for terrorists to convert to Christianity.

That's saying I'm right and you're wrong. As much as I truly believe in Christianity, I don't believe that I should walk up to a Muslim or Buddhist or whatever and tell them they're wrong. Jesus said 'it is only by Me that you can get to the Father'. He didn't say you have to be Roman Catholic or Presbyterian, or Mormon, etc.

Return to Top
#941820 - 04/14/08 08:36 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists Snow Bunny
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
I understand your position Pooh(The Bear), but i think that this Pope is all about radical changes(reversions) and if it gets his goal accompplished then I am all for it... but i can see where saying someone is wrong would be a problem, unless he is trying to say that he is right

Return to Top
#941870 - 04/14/08 09:05 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists doobydoobydoo
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I don't see Pope John Paul II as having been a pop Catholic, as you put it Dooby. He was actually pretty conservative on Church policy, he was just liberal with media, communication and outreaches to other faiths.

Return to Top
#941978 - 04/15/08 01:21 AM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrori straw
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: straw
I don't see Pope John Paul II as having been a pop Catholic, as you put it Dooby. He was actually pretty conservative on Church policy, he was just liberal with media, communication and outreaches to other faiths.

Not meaning that Dooby can't answer for himself Straw, but I think you misunderstood his post. John Paul II was one of the most conservative Bishops of Rome. I think the post meant something like this in response to Pooh's post--->"Huh? Pope Benedict is reversing Pope John Paul II's work by sticking to the true Gospel, rather than the trend of a watered down pop Gospel that is spreading in the U.S. in spite of all the good that Pope Jon Paul II wrought? Oh c'mon Pooh, he's promulgating the same Gospel message as Pope JP II, but in his own unique fashion."

If I am wrong Dooby, correct me, but that is what I took from the post.

Return to Top
#941981 - 04/15/08 01:41 AM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrori TheManofSteel
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Witchy - I sure hope not! While very conservative, JP had amazing popularity and charisma. (Hmmm sounds like a local presidential candidate, but JP had integrity). He was firm, but open. I don't think that JP EVER strayed away from any Catholic doctrine and/or Gospel. BUT he opened the doors of communication with other CHRISTIANS as never before. As a former Catholic and current Lutheran, that meant a lot to me and to almost half of our congregation and to many many other non-catholic congregations. While I don't agree with Benedict's supposed purpose at the World Trade Center, I do feel that we are once again at a Christian/Islamic juncture in history. I would like to keep away from the Vatican causing a more advanced holy war. I think the Vatican has screwed up Christian/Muslim interaction more than enough over the last 2000 years and I hope that it does nothing to make things worse today. I have sons. I do not want to have to deal with them fighting the 'pagan hordes' of the Crusades (NO I do not feel that way about Muslims). But I am afraid that this man could tip the balance to that direction. We are in delicate times that require tact. I don't feel that Benedict is that type of man. JP's iron fist was covered in velvet. Benedict is just an iron fist. Then again, maybe that is what God was looking for at this time. We will see. It scares the sh*t out of me, but we will see.

Return to Top
#942046 - 04/15/08 12:44 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists Snow Bunny
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race

Pope Benedict is much less media savvy than his predecessor. He does not seem to be as aware of the way the media and the public will excerpt and interpret his public comments. It may also be that he doesn't care. I hope that is not the case.

Having said that, he has been much more moderate than was originally predicted on many issues. He has certainly not been as much of a tough guy as when he was prefect of the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith, the Church's theological arm. His theological writings are mor reminiscent of his time as a theology professor than his time at the CFPF.

Pooh, the ayatollahs are praying for the conversion of all us Christians (and everyone else) to Islam. We ignore that, because there is no one ayatollah that speaks for all Muslims that is willing to be as public about it. If they were, and his remarks were published, my reaction would be: so What?

And the Holy Father is likely praying for the conversion of all Buddhists, Hindus, etc. He just hasn't done it publicly.

Return to Top
#942055 - 04/15/08 12:52 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists redsfan
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Originally Posted By: redsfan

Pope Benedict is much less media savvy than his predecessor. He does not seem to be as aware of the way the media and the public will excerpt and interpret his public comments. It may also be that he doesn't care. I hope that is not the case.

Having said that, he has been much more moderate than was originally predicted on many issues. He has certainly not been as much of a tough guy as when he was prefect of the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith, the Church's theological arm. His theological writings are mor reminiscent of his time as a theology professor than his time at the CFPF.

Pooh, the ayatollahs are praying for the conversion of all us Christians (and everyone else) to Islam. We ignore that, because there is no one ayatollah that speaks for all Muslims that is willing to be as public about it. If they were, and his remarks were published, my reaction would be: so What?
And the Holy Father is likely praying for the conversion of all Buddhists, Hindus, etc. He just hasn't done it publicly.

That's the operative word - Publicly . I am sure that the leader of every religion that believes theirs is the only 'true' religion does the same. They just know not to do it publicly and in everyone else's face.

I also find it hard to believe that the pope is not media savy. If HE isn't, then he surely has press people who are. I think he does everything with purpose and intent.

Return to Top
#942101 - 04/15/08 01:39 PM Re: Pope 2 Pray 4 Repentance&Conversion of Terrorists Snow Bunny
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
iron fist was covered in velvet.

kinky

Return to Top