Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#942531 - 04/15/08 08:20 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Imagine
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
no guarantee that the tax break will be passed on to the consumer. Either the oil companies or retailers could price gas up and pocket the tax rebate.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#942532 - 04/15/08 08:21 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! TheManofSteel
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I just want the SixPack.

Return to Top
#942535 - 04/15/08 08:22 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Right, because corporations shouldn't have to pay their fair share.
Only us regular folks.
I'm still waiting to see my benefits from the President's wonderful economy plan that has been in place for 7 years now.
But I hear Exxon is doing great!

And lets be realistic here folks, THIS IS A POLITICAL PLOY! It's a scam! McCain is trying to get brownie points! You know how you lower gas prices? YOU DON'T [censored] OFF EVERY OIL PRODUCING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WITH COWBOY DIPLOMACY!
Last edited by NeophytePolitico; 04/15/08 08:23 PM.
Return to Top
#942537 - 04/15/08 08:24 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Imagine
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Is uttering "change" every couple of breaths synonomous with brownie points?

Return to Top
#942538 - 04/15/08 08:24 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
You know how you lower gas prices? YOU DON'T [censored] OFF EVERY OIL PRODUCING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WITH COWBOY DIPLOMACY!

Oh, that's right, how could I forget, it's all America's fault.

Right. Check. Thanks for the reminder.

Return to Top
#942540 - 04/15/08 08:27 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Right, because corporations shouldn't have to pay their fair share.
Only us regular folks.
I'm still waiting to see my benefits from the President's wonderful economy plan that has been in place for 7 years now.
But I hear Exxon is doing great!

And lets be realistic here folks, THIS IS A POLITICAL PLOY! It's a scam! McCain is trying to get brownie points! You know how you lower gas prices? YOU DON'T [censored] OFF EVERY OIL PRODUCING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WITH COWBOY DIPLOMACY!

And yet our chief source of petroleum is Canada, a close ally. Nice try!!!

I have seen plenty from the President's economic plan. I have seen years of a strong economy where I have been able to prosper, given that I did my part and did my work without sitting around hoping that things would land in my lap. And I came from quite humble beginnings too.

Corporations already pay a fair share of tax. When it becomes too much, they naturally cut expenses by cutting jobs OR moving operations to where it is profitable to operate. Just like you or any individual changing jobs when they pay you better.

A tax break for anyone is a tax break for the economy.
Last edited by TheWitchDoctor; 04/15/08 08:33 PM.

Return to Top
#942543 - 04/15/08 08:32 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! MB Guy
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
You know how you lower gas prices? YOU DON'T [censored] OFF EVERY OIL PRODUCING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WITH COWBOY DIPLOMACY!

Oh, that's right, how could I forget, it's all America's fault.

Right. Check. Thanks for the reminder.

And don't forget, Democrats love America!

Return to Top
#942544 - 04/15/08 08:34 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan

It's not about $4.60. It's about perception. Without this step, gas prices will be over $3.50 a gallon for certain this summer. People are already looking at this and saying "I'm not going to take my vacation and leave town this year.".

Perception? Perception? Right because Joe Sixpack, who lost his job to India because of better profit opportunities for the company, is going to finally be able to afford that family vacation because John McCain is going to cut taxes for about 4 months. I'm sure he's thrilled to know that...

Joe Sixpack can spend his $4.60 per fillup savings on Iron City Beer. Why? Because frankly, if he can't hold a job, he isn't going to help the economy. This kind of tax cut to stimulate the economy isn't aimed at the wopping 4% of the population who are unemployed. It is aimed at people who WILL spend money.

Return to Top
#942554 - 04/15/08 08:45 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I'm sure Sen. McCain means well, but, it is frankly more of a symbolic gesture than anything. The Strategic Petroleum Reserve has a maximum storage capacity of 727 million barrels. We currently have over 700 million barrels in it, and haven't drawn from it in more than a year. We're going to have to stop 'supplying' it pretty soon anyway.

Return to Top
#942557 - 04/15/08 08:47 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
And yet our chief source of petroleum is Canada

so would you say that the oil economy is micro rather than macro then?

Return to Top
#942564 - 04/15/08 08:50 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Hated By Some
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Try this for the next few weeks: Whenever someone says "...reduce our dependence on foreign oil.", automatically add the phrase "because we cannot trust Canada."

Return to Top
#942572 - 04/15/08 08:55 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Hated By Some
Relax Offline
Platinum Poster
Ok - lets all take a long deep breath and relax for a minute - of course we are all getting "raped" with gas prices, and those gas prices are making everything else go up,etc etc etc but did you ever stop to think "Why hasn't the government put a stop to this price gauging?" Quite simply...money. Too many politicians have their hand in the pot. This will not stop, it will only get worse before it gets better. The oil executives are getting richer and richer and their crumbs are falling to the politicians. Yes, any little price break would be great - even one that is "only $4.60". Hey, its money I wouldn't have had before. Which brings me to another argument - We as americans are spenders...not savers, so to those of you that think 4.60 is nothing: well, I agree, it is not alot, but you go to adding that up over a year and you have over $200. A penny saved is a penny earned. Stop being unappreciative and take what little relief is given, even if it is "just $4.60". Yeah, we know in the end it is really all just bull-[censored] but enjoy the little things along the way. They, the politicians, and McCain, are not foolin' anybody.

Return to Top
#942586 - 04/15/08 09:00 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Relax
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
You want oil prices to come down, revise commodity trading rules.

Return to Top
#942590 - 04/15/08 09:02 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Hated By Some
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Originally Posted By: Ronzilla
Quote:

huh?

Return to Top
#942594 - 04/15/08 09:02 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! BotV#6
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Originally Posted By: Excess

You want oil prices to come down, reduce demand for energy and increase the supply of oil and other energy sources.

Return to Top
#942608 - 04/15/08 09:07 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: rainman
Quote:

huh?

the market for oil is isolated? i am not sure why you are feigning such confusion. do we buy oil from canada at different prices than oil from elsewhere?

Return to Top
#942609 - 04/15/08 09:07 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! rainman
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Originally Posted By: rainman
Originally Posted By: Excess

You want oil prices to come down, reduce demand for energy and increase the supply of oil and other energy sources.

The price isn't being based on supply or demand, it's been based on commodities being traded because of a weak dollar. Good example is wheat jumped to $24, but there was no reason. It's that fact you only have to put down 5 to 7% compared to 50% that makes a difference.

Return to Top
#942611 - 04/15/08 09:08 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! BotV#6
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
The price isn't being based on supply or demand

i stopped reading here.

Return to Top
#942627 - 04/15/08 09:13 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Hated By Some
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Quote:

i stopped reading here.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/15/markets/oilprices/index.htm?postversion=2008041515

so this isn't true?

Return to Top
#942633 - 04/15/08 09:16 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Hated By Some
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

i stopped reading here.

Excellent!

Return to Top
#942638 - 04/15/08 09:20 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! BotV#6
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
what % of the change in price since, say, 1998 is because of trading effects and % is from economics?

Return to Top
#942692 - 04/15/08 10:02 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Originally Posted By: FBH
Why not try investing in America's infrastructure and building lightrail systems between larger cities and suburbs. It'll put laborers to work building the lines and stations, and the finished product will reduce dependence on oil. Win/win if you ask me.

There are already train lines between larger cities. Perhaps you've heard of Amtrack? People don't use them enough to justify building even more.

What a small narrow view you have of the world. We don't have Amtrack here and haven't in about 25 years. Besides, Amtrack is losing money as fast as any airline. Diesel costs money.

I do support the idea of building commuter lines between communities, if only to cut down on the traffic. I have often suggested that they build the rail lines beside the interstates. There is no better advertising to ride the train than someone sitting in traffic that is going nowhere fast and a couple of trains go past without hinderance.

But it isn't going to happen until we get a President in office that has a monetary interest in the success of the railroad. Just look what George and Dick have done for oil!

Return to Top
#942698 - 04/15/08 10:08 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Mint Julep
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
8% profit margin is nice but not exhorbitant, and nowhere near the 15% more or less that the "non-profit" Planned Eugenics..er Parenthood made.

Return to Top
#942723 - 04/15/08 10:31 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
what % of the change in price since, say, 1998 is because of trading effects and % is from economics?

Is Reverand Wright a racist?

Return to Top
#942738 - 04/15/08 11:11 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Price straw
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: straw

Is Reverand Wright a racist?

LOL...A well-meaning but futile gesture Straw.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4