Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#942411 - 04/15/08 06:47 PM Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices!
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
McCain says cut Gas Tax and stop buying for Petroleum Reserves

Quote:
With gasoline prices expected to climb beyond a new high of $3.39 per gallon, he asked Congress to suspend the 18.4 cent federal gas tax and 24.4 cent diesel tax from the Memorial Day holiday at the end of May to Labor Day in early September.

"The effect will be an immediate economic stimulus -- taking a few dollars off the price of a tank of gas every time a family, a farmer or trucker stops to fill up," McCain said.

McCain also said he would suspend U.S. purchases of oil for the emergency stockpile known as the Strategic Petroleum Reserve because he believes the purchases are contributing to higher gas prices.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#942415 - 04/15/08 06:49 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
A_G Offline
10K Club
I'd just like to note that our gas has been above $3.39/gallon for many weeks now.

:crazy avatar:

Return to Top
#942424 - 04/15/08 06:58 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! A_G
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
i'll see your $3.39 and raise you and arm AND a leg!

Return to Top
#942425 - 04/15/08 06:58 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! A_G
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I'm still trying to time my buying. We keep going from $3.40 a gallon to $3.19 a gallon at what seems like random intervals.

Return to Top
#942435 - 04/15/08 07:11 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! A_G
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
Shaving off $0.184 tax for a 25 gallon fill up only saves you $4.60. It isn't the tax that is ridiculous, it is the price of gas.

The first thing I thought when I heard McC's suggestion on the news this morning is that it is about the dumbest idea I've heard yet. That is a huge source of income for the government. How do they expect to replace it? Are we just going to go further into debt with China? Will our grandchildren be born with a stamp across their bottoms "Made in China"?

But, for that matter, I'd like to ask any of the current candidates and GWB when was the last time any of them filled up their car with their own money and then went to the grocery store and bought their own groceries? None of them are in touch with the American public. They are insulated by aides, Secret Service, schedules and transportation being provided to them.

Every holiday, the fuel price inches up. Every season, the fuel price inches up. Sometimes it leaps. But when the market price of a barrel of crude drops significantly, the fuel price at the pump doesn't budge. The oil companies are making record profits. They claim greater expenses, but those record profits are net, not gross, so the expenses are already out of the equation. They are just raking it in and lying to the public and Congress.

The next time Congress calls up the heads of major oil, they should try waterboarding.

Return to Top
#942438 - 04/15/08 07:16 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Mint Julep
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
MJ,

It's not just shaving $4.60 a fill up off your gas. By cutting that tax, and at the same time reducing purchases of oil by the government for reserves, you change supply and demand. Where's the money coming from? Increased spending by the consumers paying taxes elsewhere. Reduced spending on petroleum reserves.

Return to Top
#942451 - 04/15/08 07:23 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Why not try investing in America's infrastructure and building lightrail systems between larger cities and suburbs. It'll put laborers to work building the lines and stations, and the finished product will reduce dependence on oil. Win/win if you ask me.

Return to Top
#942461 - 04/15/08 07:36 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
MJ,

It's not just shaving $4.60 a fill up off your gas. By cutting that tax, and at the same time reducing purchases of oil by the government for reserves, you change supply and demand. Where's the money coming from? Increased spending by the consumers paying taxes elsewhere. Reduced spending on petroleum reserves.
[quote=Bengalsfan]

That makes about as much sense as thinking that people who are cash strapped and financially hardened are going to put their stimulus check into the economy. If we're that strapped for cash and in debt, I'd put that money towards paying down my debt.

You think people are going to spend that $4.60 elsewhere? Like on what? An extra Value Meal from McDonald's? Give me a break...

Return to Top
#942462 - 04/15/08 07:37 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! FBH
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: FBH
Why not try investing in America's infrastructure and building lightrail systems between larger cities and suburbs. It'll put laborers to work building the lines and stations, and the finished product will reduce dependence on oil. Win/win if you ask me.

Hush now. No need for COMMON SENSE around these parts.

Return to Top
#942464 - 04/15/08 07:38 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
No, people are going to spend that $4.60 on gas when they travel this summer, rather than not going on vacations and spending money. Or did you miss the timing?

You think way too small.

Return to Top
#942467 - 04/15/08 07:41 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! FBH
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: FBH

There are already train lines between larger cities. Perhaps you've heard of Amtrack? People don't use them enough to justify building even more.

Return to Top
#942468 - 04/15/08 07:41 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
If you think that extra $4.60 is going to matter THAT much when it comes to whether or not a person goes on vacation, you're mistaken.

If it isn't gas prices, it'll be toll prices, if it isn't toll prices, it'll be some kind of other fee.

The real solution isn't cutting taxes in some kind of scheme. The real solution is finding alternatives to oil, working on infrastructure like FBH suggests, and not allow the oil companies (domestic and foreign) to rape the American citizen.

Return to Top
#942476 - 04/15/08 07:46 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
The oil companies aren't raping anyone, worldwide demand is the highest it has ever been, contributing significantly to the rise in fuel cost.

Alternatives to oil are great, as are infrastructure suggestions, but these are long-term solutions that will not satisfy the crybabies of the populace overnight. Furthermore, in the interim, we still need to lower taxation on oil to help as well as invest in more efficient refineries (SHAM SHAME SHAME cried the dems for that)so that the cost of production of oil lowers over time and is passed on to the American consumer.

Return to Top
#942478 - 04/15/08 07:47 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Neo,

It's not about $4.60. It's about perception. Without this step, gas prices will be over $3.50 a gallon for certain this summer. People are already looking at this and saying "I'm not going to take my vacation and leave town this year.". More importantly, do you think the average person travelling only fills up once?

One of the major reasons we are having financial difficulties as a nation is because of the hit to the tourism industry after 9/11. Another blow like this could be terrible.

I don't disagree that finding alternatives to oil is important, however, while finding a cure for cancer is important, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be trying to find better antibiotics to fight strep throat either. Trying to provide some IMMEDIATE relief is as important as long term thinking.

Return to Top
#942484 - 04/15/08 07:50 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! TheManofSteel
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I think the govmint should set profit limits on the oil companies.

I also think they should provide for my health care. I just hope that should I need a new kidney some day, that the bureaucracy doesn't interfere so much that my records are switched with someone who is in for a sex change operation.

Return to Top
#942501 - 04/15/08 08:03 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Peepers
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
The government should do my shopping for me, both grocery and clothes too. It is only fair, or I'll feel bitter and turn to religion more devoutly.

Return to Top
#942507 - 04/15/08 08:07 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! TheManofSteel
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
ROFLMAO @ WD

Return to Top
#942513 - 04/15/08 08:12 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! TheManofSteel
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: TheWitchDoctor
The government should do my shopping for me, both grocery and clothes too. It is only fair, or I'll feel bitter and turn to religion more devoutly.

And of course go out and buy a gun....

Return to Top
#942516 - 04/15/08 08:14 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! MB Guy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Originally Posted By: TheWitchDoctor

And of course go out and buy a gun....

Should have to go out and buy a gun. The government should provide that for me toO!

Return to Top
#942519 - 04/15/08 08:14 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Oh yeah, you're totally right, sorry.

Return to Top
#942520 - 04/15/08 08:15 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
there shouldnt have to be any buying of guns, there should be "auto-guns" at every street corner that shoots bad people whenever they walk by

Return to Top
#942522 - 04/15/08 08:16 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
If the government was doing all of that for you, you wouldn't have the energy or inclination to shoot a thief to protect your family. Why spend the money on a gun? The government would just buy you more stuff to replace what was stolen!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#942523 - 04/15/08 08:16 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine

It's not about $4.60. It's about perception. Without this step, gas prices will be over $3.50 a gallon for certain this summer. People are already looking at this and saying "I'm not going to take my vacation and leave town this year.".

Perception? Perception? Right because Joe Sixpack, who lost his job to India because of better profit opportunities for the company, is going to finally be able to afford that family vacation because John McCain is going to cut taxes for about 4 months. I'm sure he's thrilled to know that...

Return to Top
#942528 - 04/15/08 08:19 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico

It's not about $4.60. It's about perception. Without this step, gas prices will be over $3.50 a gallon for certain this summer. People are already looking at this and saying "I'm not going to take my vacation and leave town this year.".

Perception? Perception? Right because Joe Sixpack, who lost his job to India because of better profit opportunities for the company, is going to finally be able to afford that family vacation because John McCain is going to cut taxes for about 4 months. I'm sure he's thrilled to know that...

That job likely does not go to India if the U.S. givernment is not taxing the bujeeezuz out of the company, making it more operationally efficient and profitable to move the operations to India. So Joe Sixpack has no problem finding a new job...

Return to Top
#942530 - 04/15/08 08:20 PM Re: Democratic Nominees Denounce cutting Gas Prices! TheManofSteel
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I like Indian food. There! I said it!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4