Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#944796 - 04/17/08 08:15 PM Verified by Visa & Fraudulent transaction
remerson Offline
New Poster
Can someone tell me their thoughts on this:

Customer states an internet transaction using their Visa check Card was fraudulent. We submitted all paperwork. Visa replied back with: Transaction was completed using VERIFIED BY VISA, no chargeback rights.

Now I'm wondering, can I put this back on the customer? In order to set up the Verified by Visa you HAVE to enter your CSV code that is on the back of the card and also create a password. Unfortunately I can not reach the customer to discuss this matter...probably a good thing that I can't since I am unsure of our rights to be able to charge his account back for it. HELP!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#944814 - 04/17/08 08:40 PM Re: Verified by Visa & Fraudulent transaction remerson
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
You are required to comply with Reg E for reimbursement back to your customer. Reg E does not require consumers to follow the verified by Visa program, so the fact that they did or did not use their procedure is irrelavant. If the charge was not authorized by your customer, you will have to reimburse them.

Return to Top
#945688 - 04/18/08 04:18 PM Re: Verified by Visa & Fraudulent transaction Comply 101
robby Offline
Also remember that a legitimate merchant the cardholder used may have been compromised in which the card number, exp. date, AVS, and CVC2 may have been extracted from a database. I see many criminals just set up Mastercard Securecode (just like Verified by Visa) using the stolen information only a moment before making a fraudulent online purchase that requires Securecode resulting in a match. Like BSA guy said, a V by V match does not mean the cardholder authorized the charge.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett