Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#943159 - 04/16/08 04:56 PM Tax Refunds for Non-US persons?
AML247 Offline
100 Club
SC
This past week I have had three checks cashed that all have the same name. They are all US Treasury checks noted with "Tax Refund" on them. First of all, how does one person get three Federal Tax Refund checks -- I can't come up with a scenario. Secondly, the person to which the check is paid does not have a social -- only a passport from Mexico. Twice he came to the bank with someone else who secondarily endorsed the checks (and that person had a SSN & valid driver's license). The other time, he came by himself. Does anyone have an explanation as to how this happens? I work my 40 every week and only got one!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#943208 - 04/16/08 05:40 PM Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? AML247
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I can suggest two possible fraud scenarios. First, there's a possibility the checks are counterfeits, although actual counterfeits of Treasury checks are few and far between.

The second scenario involves filing multiple tax returns to defraud the IRS. It takes a while for the IRS to catch this kind of scam.

If you have images of the three checks, you can contact the IRS Criminal Investigation Division to pass on any suspicions. In the event that a total of $5,000 or more is involved, you should file a SAR.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#943536 - 04/16/08 09:10 PM Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? John Burnett
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
I am wondering why you cashed the checks for this individual, especially since some were also endorsed by another person.

Return to Top
#944292 - 04/17/08 04:01 PM Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? devsfan
AML247 Offline
100 Club
SC
That's what I wanted to know! The individual went to different offices and took another person who is a signer on one of our good customers' business accounts. Since that individual was known to the Tellers, it appears that they felt comfortable doing this for him (he's the one who secondarily endorsed the check). Needless to say, after I recovered from my "hissy-fit", I contacted Branch Administration to address the issue!

I've pulled the actual checks and other tax refund checks to compare and cannot see any visible evidence that they are counterfeit. However, I do plan on contacting someone at the IRS and inquiring.

If anyone has any other thoughts, please feel free to share!

Return to Top
#944337 - 04/17/08 04:42 PM Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? AML247
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
I agree with all comments above and I just had to add to Nu2BSA from ALABAMA -

I'm SO GLAD that I'm not the BSA girl having "hissy fits: :-)

Return to Top
#944924 - 04/17/08 09:44 PM Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? CantBeShocked
AML247 Offline
100 Club
SC
Now I know ya'll in MS throw Hissy-fits too!!

Return to Top
#944927 - 04/17/08 09:48 PM Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? AML247
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
You got it girlfriend ! I can throw a big one, smile at you and you won't even know you've been told off too;) All it takes is a little "honey" and "sugar".....etc.

Return to Top
#945560 - 04/18/08 03:18 PM Re: Tax Refunds for Non-US persons? CantBeShocked
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
And always end with ..."bless your heart".

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z