Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#948106 - 04/23/08 02:52 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong MB Guy
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
well, is the us somehow not a participant in the global demand/supply market?

what i meant was that we have alternatives that would impact the global energy supply. it is just a matter of adopting them. in other words, we can keep supply constant and simply lower overall demand (oil doesn't just get refined for energy for cars).

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#948107 - 04/23/08 02:52 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Ronzilla
why is it cheap? could it be ridiculously inappropriate subsidies? but to your point, if it is giving you crappy mileage, is it *really* cheaper? just because it is cheaper per gallon doesn't mean that it is cheaper.

So, you're against alternative fuels?

Return to Top
#948111 - 04/23/08 02:54 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong B_F
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
not at all. i am against thermodynamically-inefficient-though-politcally-desireable-to-midwestern-farmer alternative fuels.

Return to Top
#948118 - 04/23/08 02:57 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
not at all. i am against thermodynamically-inefficient-though-politcally-desireable-to-midwestern-farmer alternative fuels.

Even if it is inefficient, is it not renewable, and thus in no danger of running out?

Is it not a cleaner burning fuel?

Does it not provide direct income to the United States economy?
Last edited by Bengalsfan; 04/23/08 03:01 PM.
Return to Top
#948127 - 04/23/08 03:06 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
does it have an affect on our resources? should we wait until we run out to have to scurry to find new sources? aren't economic pressures from oil already pretty strong? gas sales were down 2-11% due to pricing issues in december.

And don't you think those pressures will lead to another cost effective energy source.

Or do you think we will return to the caves?

Return to Top
#948129 - 04/23/08 03:08 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan

Even if it is inefficient, is it not renewable, and thus in no danger of running out?

Is it not a cleaner burning fuel?

Does it not provide direct income to the United States economy?

Actually, it is probably a leading inflation cause, since corn prices are through the roof, which lead to higher prices across many different food products.

Return to Top
#948130 - 04/23/08 03:08 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong B_F
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

...other than that, how was the play mrs. lincoln? can't we just answer the same questions with a more thermodynamically efficient alternative? would the other alternatives also be clean burning?

'providing direct income' to the united states is a pretty limited perspective. what about overall costs? what are the economic ramifications? should all of the land go to 'energy' production instead of food? i don't understand this fascination with the short term other than the fact that it is easier to conceptualize.

Return to Top
#948134 - 04/23/08 03:11 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Ok Mr. Long Term solutions, what is the answer to a more thermodynamically efficient alternative?

Return to Top
#948135 - 04/23/08 03:11 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

...other than that, how was the play mrs. lincoln? can't we just answer the same questions with a more thermodynamically efficient alternative? would the other alternatives also be clean burning?

'providing direct income' to the united states is a pretty limited perspective. what about overall costs? what are the economic ramifications? should all of the land go to 'energy' production instead of food? i don't understand this fascination with the short term other than the fact that it is easier to conceptualize.

Using one alternative does not mean you abandon looking at other alternatives. Otherwise, you'd still be burning either wood or coal in your train instead of driving a car.

Return to Top
#948160 - 04/23/08 03:31 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: straw
Ok Mr. Long Term solutions, what is the answer to a more thermodynamically efficient alternative?

i am not an engineer.

i have suggested that there are more thermodynamically efficient sources as well as suggesting that there are ways to affect demand (wind, solar, geothermal, etc).

Return to Top
#948164 - 04/23/08 03:33 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
You are not an engineer, then how do you know ethanol is inefficient?

Demand for alt fuels will increase as oil prices continue to increase.

Return to Top
#948175 - 04/23/08 03:39 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i am capable of reading the conclusions of engineers, straw.

Return to Top
#948181 - 04/23/08 03:46 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Yes, we all know you are capable of parroting back anything you have read, but digesting the information, analyzing it and forming your own opinions, well, I guess that's why you are still in school.

Perhaps you should read some more engineer's conclusions to see if they have any answers to the question I posed.

Hint: the answers are out there if you seek them out.

Return to Top
#948194 - 04/23/08 03:55 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
what is there to analyze when you see conclusions regarding thermodynamics? :boggle:

Return to Top
#948208 - 04/23/08 04:05 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
how did this thread get so far astray?

why are we not discussing the threat of global cooling? The impact is far greater and ever so immediate if we enter another mini ice age similar to the 600 years after 1100 a.d.
Last edited by Bitter Rural PR; 04/23/08 04:07 PM.

Return to Top
#948209 - 04/23/08 04:06 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
My question was

what is the answer to a more thermodynamically efficient alternative?

Can you read some engineering publications and report back what those engineers think?

Thanks.

Return to Top
#948260 - 04/23/08 04:51 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
i'm not a global warming enthusiast. i am an environmental enthusiast. i think al gore perhaps did a disservice to the environment by framing the issue around global warming.

I actually agree with Ronzilla!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#948291 - 04/23/08 05:26 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i guess i don't understand wtf your point is here, straw.do you deny that there are other sources of altrnative energy that are more thermodynamically efficient than corn ethanol?

Return to Top
#948299 - 04/23/08 05:34 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
i guess i don't understand wtf your point is here, straw.do you deny that there are other sources of altrnative energy that are more thermodynamically efficient than corn ethanol?

I guess I don't understand you, Ron. Do you deny that it is better to have ANY completely renewable alternative fuel than NO other option than non-renewable resources?

Return to Top
#948302 - 04/23/08 05:36 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong B_F
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla

Return to Top
#948322 - 04/23/08 05:57 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: straw

i am not an engineer.

i have suggested that there are more thermodynamically efficient sources as well as suggesting that there are ways to affect demand (wind, solar, geothermal, etc).
Of course the environaziswackos conveniently forget probably the most efficient, least polluting energy source...nuclear energy.

Return to Top
#948338 - 04/23/08 06:14 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH

One ECOLOGIST, not a chemist, physicist, engineer, etc. says so, and you believe him. Gotcha.

More importantly, does it matter if creating the fuel uses more energy to create liquid fuel than the energy output? No. Why? Apples to Oranges. I'm sure it takes more energy to drill for oil and convert it to gas than you get from gas too. The question isn't is energy used to create a source of energy, it is can we run our vehicles and get from place to place using it!

Return to Top
#948349 - 04/23/08 06:23 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

I am asking you if you know any.

Return to Top
#948351 - 04/23/08 06:25 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong FBH
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: FBH
Considering we're coming to an end of a period of increased solar activity, global cooling is a distinct possibility. With that said, global cooling may be Earth's reaction to all the pollutants and greenhouse gases we're putting into the atmosphere. The system is balancing things out...

Yes, historically this has happened. Unfortunately, as a combat to your statement, it usually takes hundreds of years, not all at once.

Return to Top
#948371 - 04/23/08 06:36 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong MB Guy
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
I
My fear is that the current "Washington - Big Business Machine" hampers the development of new sources of energy and I think we need to find a way to incentivize this and break the current cycle.

yeah man... and the black helicopters are circling over head right now...

::rips from the bong a la Ron, "oh my god i just turned my friends head into a bong," Mexico::

and like NAFTA is gonna create a super highway that parallels I35... and remove american sovreignty andcreate a unified currency called the AMero

::takes another bong hit a la Ron, "dude where's my car," Mexico::

and like.. the environment is like.... hot man.. like really hot and stuff

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4