Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#948709 - 04/24/08 01:18 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong B_F
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
How about wind turbines? Oh wait-our wonderful Senators Kerry and Kennedy opposed these as they would take away the view from all the beautiful people (including themselves) on the Cape and Islands...bunch of hypocrites..
Last edited by Sox in 07; 04/24/08 01:18 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#948735 - 04/24/08 01:45 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong B_F
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
You'll never see a nuclear car, because the same greenies who want to not drill for oil are scared of the cleanest energy source we have. Not only that, but I'm sure if we did have a nuclear car, a terrorist would find a way to turn it into a suicide bomb.

Now, please turn your attention back to the matter at hand, a replacement for oil based gasoline, and leave the larger matter behind. Ethanol is the most efficient alternative we have right now.

Michael, a couple of points. First, if ethanol production actually consumes more energy than it provides, does it really matter how efficient it is relative to other alternative fuels. Is being the alternative fuel that wastes the least amount of energy really something to brag about? Second, the use of nuclear power to meet some transportation needs would not require nuclear reactors in our vehicles. We already have vehicles that are totally (not hybrid) electric - as in, you plug them in, charge them, and drive them (not very far, but they have a lot more range than they did a few years ago). If we were to move in that direction, with additional nuclear capacity for our production of electricity, there would be the potential to reduce our demand for oil. Add to that the fact that a good deal of our electicity is still generated from oil, and the case for nuclear looks even better.

Return to Top
#948752 - 04/24/08 02:05 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Jokerman
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Ethanol production may consume more energy than it provides, but what's the point? So does drilling for oil. That doesn't change the simple fact that it runs our vehicles.

Return to Top
#948818 - 04/24/08 03:12 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Actually, that is the point. Drilling for oil does not consume more energy than the oil itself provides.

Furthermore, the corn price increases that have resulted from ethanol production have already had a dramatic impact on food prices world wide.

We have already seen isolated food riots over rising prices and I fear this will continue.

Return to Top
#948840 - 04/24/08 03:32 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
and Sam's Club will not let me buy more than one bag of 20 lb. rice!

we are the bread basket of the world, we need to drill more and refine more NOW!

Return to Top
#948855 - 04/24/08 03:53 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong straw
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: straw
Actually, that is the point. Drilling for oil does not consume more energy than the oil itself provides.

Furthermore, the corn price increases that have resulted from ethanol production have already had a dramatic impact on food prices world wide.

We have already seen isolated food riots over rising prices and I fear this will continue.

To further this point, I have read some articles that indicate the additional resources needed to grow the corn for the demand further takes away from any benefit from the ethanol. More water, fertilizer, trucking the product to the plants, etc.

Return to Top
#948863 - 04/24/08 04:02 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong TB 12
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I was talking to someone yesterday whose son works in the ethanol industry. He said that ethanol cannot be pushed through pipelines like gas.

The ethanol is too light.

They need to ship ethanol all around the country. This would certainly contribute to the high product cost.

Not sure if this is true. Anyone know?

Return to Top
#948864 - 04/24/08 04:02 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong Pale Rider
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Bitter Rural PR
and Sam's Club will not let me buy more than one bag of 20 lb. rice!

Is your bunker running low?

Return to Top
#948897 - 04/24/08 04:38 PM Re: Al Gore may have gotten it wrong straw
GLKS Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: straw
I was talking to someone yesterday whose son works in the ethanol industry. He said that ethanol cannot be pushed through pipelines like gas.

The ethanol is too light.

They need to ship ethanol all around the country. This would certainly contribute to the high product cost.

Not sure if this is true. Anyone know?

Straw, I also heard this. not sure if it is true or not, but basically the story was oil can be pushed with water since it doesn't mix, but water will mix with the alcohol.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4