Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#949791 - 04/25/08 05:56 PM Reg E- customer error on ATM deposit
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
If a customer miskeys an atm deposit amount, for too little, and subsequently becomes overdrawn, does that constitute a billing error? What responsibility does the bank have to reimburse? Is there an argument to be made that this is not "an incorrect electronic funds transfer to/from the consumer's account?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#950175 - 04/25/08 09:49 PM Re: Reg E- customer error on ATM deposit M&M
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Surely the bank discovered the error when it opened the deposit envelope? At that time, the customer's error should have been corrected.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#950806 - 04/28/08 06:26 PM Re: Reg E- customer error on ATM deposit John Burnett
Compliancer Offline
Gold Star
Compliancer
San Francisco, CA
In the example you provide, the accounting of the transaction does not match the true deposit. This would qualify as an error. The overdrawn issue results from that error. Reg. E makes no distinction on who causes an error, just that an error has occurred.

I also agree with John. The ATM would not have balanced and the error, along with related fees, corrected at that time.

Return to Top
#951134 - 04/29/08 10:30 AM Re: Reg E- customer error on ATM deposit Compliancer
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Our branch corrected the error and credited the customer the difference. However, they did not look at his account to see if he was overdrawn as a result of it. Thus, fees were not reimbursed until the customer raised this issue, and then only a partial reimbursement was granted since this was not viewed as an error..

Return to Top
#951141 - 04/29/08 10:52 AM Re: Reg E- customer error on ATM deposit M&M
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sounds like a little revamp in your procedures are in order.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z