Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#954983 - 05/06/08 04:04 PM REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans
donna.raisor Offline
Platinum Poster
Doesn't this have to be indicated how the parties are applying and where can I find in the regulation?

Return to Top
#955033 - 05/06/08 04:51 PM Re: REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans donna.raisor
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I am not sure what your question is. Can you clarify?
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#955043 - 05/06/08 04:57 PM Re: REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans donna.raisor
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
I think you are looking for the joint intent rules. If you are, go to 202.7(d) in Reg. B and the Commentary .
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#955066 - 05/06/08 05:28 PM Re: REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans CalifDreamin
donna.raisor Offline
Platinum Poster
I am sorry what I am trying to clarify is in regards to REG B - Business Credit and joint applicants is it a requirement to have them sign an Intent to Apply for Joint Credit form?

Return to Top
#955087 - 05/06/08 05:57 PM Re: REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans donna.raisor

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If the borrowers are individuals, yes. This is especially important for business credit if a spouse is involved due to the prohibitions on spousal signatures.

FlamingoGal gave you the links above.

Return to Top
#955100 - 05/06/08 06:15 PM Re: REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans Kathleen O. Blanchard
hij Offline
100 Club
Midwest
There is nothing in the regulation the refers to or requires an "Intent to Apply for Joint Credit Form". You need a process to document how the application is originally being submitted...i.e. individual or joint with more than one party. This could be done through the use of a written application or if no application is used, your lenders should ask who is applying and document that in the file.

Return to Top
#955114 - 05/06/08 06:36 PM Re: REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans hij

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The regulation looks for at least initials next to something that says this is a joint application. From the commentary:

"3. Evidence of joint application. A person’s intent to be a joint applicant must be evidenced at the time of application. Signatures on a promissory note may not be used to show intent to apply for joint credit. On the other hand, signatures or initials on a credit application affirming applicants’ intent to apply for joint credit may be used to establish intent to apply for joint credit. (See Appendix B). The method used to establish intent must be distinct from the means used by individuals to affirm the accuracy of information. For example, signatures on a joint financial statement affirming the veracity of information are not sufficient to establish intent to apply for joint credit."

The lenders say so is not enough.

Return to Top
#957300 - 05/10/08 03:48 AM Re: REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans Kathleen O. Blanchard
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Applicants are not required to sign or initial anything. The Commentary states they "may be used". How would you handle a phone application if the applicant's had to sign something?

A loan officer can document what was stated by whom. It is a best practice to have the applicants sign/initial if they are present, but there are other ways to document the intent of the applicants.

This is exactly what we will be discussing in the Joint Intent webinar I'll be conducting on June 18th:
http://calendar.bollearningconnect.com/main.php?view=event&eventid=1210342468521

Return to Top
#957315 - 05/10/08 03:13 PM Re: REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans David Dickinson

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
What I see banks do for telephone applications is to ask at the time of application and have the applicants initial a statement confirming the status at closing. I see this in consumer and commercial loans.

For consumer loans, it is absolutely insisted upon for mortgages, apparently as a secondary market mortgage requirement. For commercial deals, banks I see obtain something from the borrower so that lenders are not just on their own saying it is joint so that they can require the spouse on the loan.

Return to Top
#957978 - 05/12/08 10:17 PM Re: REG B Intent to Apply Commercial Loans Kathleen O. Blanchard
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I see this a lot to Kathy, but I want to clarify that "at closing" is not what Reg B requires. The preamble (section by section analysis) to these requirements indicated this had to be done at the time of the initial application. The FRB felt there was too much duress at closing to ask this then. It is true that most people will sign just about anything at closing. The logical time to ask people "who is applying" is at the time of application.

That said, if a LO gets the documentation at closing, I believe this is not sufficient. They must get it when taking the telephone application. If they want to follow up with a "are you sure" at closing, that is fine, but it must be in addition to the earlier documentation.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Lestie G