Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#948876 - 04/24/08 04:12 PM Security Camera Testing
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
I've looked through pages of posts, but couldn't find anything on this. In the age of DVR, how often are you reviewing operation, quality, camera angles? How often do you test and how do you document any of this? I'm referring to the Bank Protection Act that requires testing. If necessary, please PM me with what some of you are doing. I would very much appreciate any suggestions/input. Thanks!

My opinion only.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#949126 - 04/24/08 08:40 PM Re: Security Camera Testing Tigg
KrisH Offline
Gold Star
KrisH
Massachusetts
Well, I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you're referring to, but we check our cameras daily, and someone signs a checklist acknowledging that they've been checked.

We have a terminal that goes through a sequence, showing all of our cameras in groups (i.e., all the teller camers on screen, then CSRs, ATM cameras, etc). They are checking to make sure all cameras are working, the image is clear, they haven't been moved, etc. We do not regularly go back and pull recorded footage, but occasionally we do check some footage, for some purpose. Maybe we should.

We are a one branch bank, so it is not time consuming for us to check all of our cameras, and the system we bought makes it very easy. I imagine in a multi-branch bank, each branch would have its own system and could be easily checked by branch staff.

When they do their branch security audit, our internal auditors do check to make sure someone is checking the cameras for those things.

Return to Top
#949152 - 04/24/08 09:06 PM Re: Security Camera Testing KrisH
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
I do want to see our daily check documented either by our security officer or branch managers for accountability/regulatory requirements (we are also a small bank). Is your checklist just a simple spread sheet that someone dates and initials off on?

I might add that it would be a good idea to incorporate two things - when you go check your recordings for something, have it documented that you also checked the quality of the footage, etc., at that point, and include it with your records. Just a thought.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#949409 - 04/25/08 02:20 PM Re: Security Camera Testing Tigg
Jman253 Offline
100 Club
Jman253
Edmond, Oklahoma
I check our DVR's for clarity, functionality, and that it is recording. Just last week I noticed all but my ATM camera was working..........That is my most used and pulled camera is my ATM camera so needless to say if we didnt check the DVR daily and needed it we wouldve be up a creek in this instance. I keep a log of time/date/ signature and printed name and position of who checked the system. I also do quarterly certification letters to the board and admin which says that I herbey certify that all security equipment (list make, model etc.... ) are functioning properly and in working order. Our admin really likes this. Just some thoughts.

Return to Top
#950070 - 04/25/08 08:32 PM Re: Security Camera Testing Jman253
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Another daily log? I have logs coming out my ears, eyes, nose...and other places unmentionable. I'm not saying I have a better solution, but does anyone think the daily log might just be initialed without being checked?

When I was managing a branch, I looked at my cameras daily. I had a large branch and would have my TV tuned to a couple of the cameras around the clock. But signing another log would have driven me to drink.

Return to Top
#950242 - 04/26/08 12:25 AM Re: Security Camera Testing Milby
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
You know how this all works - Accountability, Accountability, Accountability. Every audit/checklist I have seen asks if the cameras are being checked daily. Yes of course they are! Now - Prove It. That turns into Documentation, Documentation, Documentation - there is NO escape from it. At least not that I have found.

P.S. Sorry for the initial "stutter" when I first posted this question! It was a bad day for a slow server!
Last edited by LaBankerGal; 04/26/08 12:28 AM.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#950613 - 04/28/08 03:42 PM Re: Security Camera Testing Tigg
Larryc575 Offline
100 Club
Logs, accountability, documentation, clarity, are they on? are they recording? No doubt all important items but the key is, what are they recording? You can keep the best documentation with the best log in the business, which is checked off every day ensuring your cameras are functioning and producing clear images.

Then your bank gets robbed or a major in-branch fraud occurs. Your images are recovered and it is revealed the placement of the cameras has failed to capture anything of an investigative quality. This is due to the target wearing a baseball cap or hoodie and your cameras placed far to high to shoot under the cap.

The fact that no one has brought camera placement into the mix may be an indicator that somewhere in all of the "regs," the true nature of what the "reg" was trying to do has been lost. This then leads to the mentality, in some cases, that meeting the requirements is more important than the work product itself. "BPA says we have to have cameras. Called security company. Got quote, they put up cameras. Check!!! We have cameras"

There is a balance, we can meet the requirements placed on our FI's and at the same time produce a quality work product. When we do this everyone wins, we catch criminals before they rack up multiple victims, thereby, creating a safer work place for our employees. Checking off boxes is important and needed, however, it seems to be wise to always keep in mind why we are doing it in the first place. What is the purpose of your cameras? Are they doing it? Are they doing it everyday?

Check!!!!!

Return to Top
#954858 - 05/06/08 02:23 PM Re: Security Camera Testing Larryc575
Cathy Compliance Offline
New Poster
Cathy Compliance
Speaking of BPA, how often do you test your alarm system? Have you found any official interpretation on how often examiners would like to see these tested?

Return to Top
#955272 - 05/06/08 09:24 PM Re: Security Camera Testing Cathy Compliance
avpbsa Offline
New Poster
It is our policy to test the alarm system on a monthly basis. We look at our camera angles and recordings daily.

Return to Top
#955668 - 05/07/08 06:39 PM Re: Security Camera Testing avpbsa
Cathy Compliance Offline
New Poster
Cathy Compliance
Thank you, we are currently testing our alarm system monthly also, but with a growing number of branches we are considering going to quarterly- any thoughts?

Return to Top
#955669 - 05/07/08 06:42 PM Re: Security Camera Testing avpbsa
Cathy Compliance Offline
New Poster
Cathy Compliance
Thank you, we are currently testing our alarm system monthly also, but with a growing number of branches we are considering going to quarterly- any thoughts?

Return to Top
#956508 - 05/09/08 12:51 PM Re: Security Camera Testing Cathy Compliance
Aiden Michaels Offline
Aiden Michaels
Diebold checks our alarms on a quarterly basis and that seems to satisfy any regulators. Also, the monitoring center tests the signal on a daily basis, so monitoring is tested daily, and actual trip switches checked quarterly. Hope this helps!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z