Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#95966 - 07/10/03 08:41 PM Foreign Checks
AMXSteve Offline
Wilmington, OH, USA
Do you place a minimum dollar amount on foreign items you accept for collection or deposit. If so, what amount must the item be before you will accept it?

We are considering placing a minimum item amount on foreign items (e.g. $100.00 per item) before we will accept them for deposit, and I wanted to see what other banks are doing. We're finding that with exchange rates and correspondent bank fees, the fees for processing the item end up being more than the customer recieves for the item.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#95967 - 07/10/03 08:46 PM Re: Foreign Checks
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Surely you should just tell your customer what the costs will be and how much the net proceeds will be (if any) and leave it up to them to decide on whther to proceed.

Telling a customer that you aren't going to collect their cash for them sounds like a great way to p*** them off!

Return to Top
#95968 - 07/10/03 08:54 PM Re: Foreign Checks
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
We won't accept foreign items under US$20.

We don't process the items ourselves, and we get charged $15 for the collection. (For some reason, we only charge the customers $10. What's wrong with this picture...?)

Return to Top
#95969 - 07/10/03 08:57 PM Re: Foreign Checks
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
We have no choice. We have no foreign correspondants and send our foreign collection items to another bank located down the block to collect for us. They will not do any for under $100.00, so that's pretty much that. They do our foreign wires too, (and charge us an arm and a leg).

Return to Top