Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 37 of 39 1 2 35 36 37 38 39
Thread Options
#962775 - 05/21/08 04:26 PM Re: American Idol Pepper's Sister
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I think Mr. Hicks has the honor of being the least successful American Idol winner of all time. (I told everyone this would happen. Why didn't they listen to me?)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#962776 - 05/21/08 04:27 PM Re: American Idol CubDave
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I would have liked to hear David Cook sing the Lionel Richie song he totally changed up too. Then again, to say hey, I'm going to learn three new songs and do them all, was a brave choice.

Return to Top
#962801 - 05/21/08 04:51 PM Re: American Idol buggs
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
I think Mr. Hicks has the honor of being the least successful American Idol winner of all time. (I told everyone this would happen. Why didn't they listen to me?)

Was he less successful than Reuben and Fantasia? I guess we should give Fantasia props for being on Broadway, and Reuben props for being back on AI over and over.

But of the six winners, only two have been really successful in Carrie and Kelly.

Then again, Season 2 also put out Josh Gracin, Clay Aiken, and Kimberly Locke, all of whom have been at least moderately successful. Season 3 gave us Diana DeGarmo (broadway star), and Jennifer Hudson. Season 4 gave us Bo Bice (who's second album is fantastic). Season 6 gave us Blake Lewis, LaKisha Jones, Phil Stacey, and Chris Sligh (all of whom have hit records or are about to release them).

Oh and from Taylor Hicks' own season? A recap of the top 10.

Taylor - FAILURE!

Katharine McPhee - Several hits on her first album, 2nd coming soon?

Elliot Yamin - One of the best American Idol Albums ever.

Chris Daughtry - Need I really explain?

Paris Bennett - Her R&B album in 2007 failed to gain traction with the masses, but is a pretty good if you like R&B.

Kellie Pickler - Pick Pickler! Ok, so she's dumb as a stump, but she's been successful with several hit songs.

Ace Young - We are still waiting on his album, but he's been on Bones, and won a Grammy for writing a song with Daughtry, who, incidentally is helping Ace write songs for his album. Oh, and the tracks on his myspace page from the new album are really pretty good.

Bucky Covington - Has had a few hits in the country scene and is successful.

Mandisa - Wrote a book after Idol, and then went straight to gospel where she belonged with a good album. She's as successful as she wants to be.

Lisa Tucker - Went the acting route after Idol with a regular part on both Zoey 101 and The Suite Life, as well as a role in "The Hustle" a movie coming out some time in June. She's also kept busy doing a lot of world travel performing for our troops. In February she announced that she was finally ready to work on an album. We'll see where it goes, but considering her acting career, I'd call her a success.

Return to Top
#962822 - 05/21/08 05:08 PM Re: American Idol grmasterb
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: grmasterb
What do you guys think? Simon seemed to tilt the judging in favor of the boy wonder, and I fear there are enough teeny-boppers to have put him over the top. I really didn't get Simon's comment about Cook's version of "The World I Know." I thought it was excellent -- it showed his full talent and creativity.
Simon was actually on Leno Monday night and said he thought Cook deserved to win.

Return to Top
#962829 - 05/21/08 05:13 PM Re: American Idol B_F
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
I just read somewhere that Taylor Hicks is going to appear on Broadway in Grease. I'm glad he got work, anyway. I liked him on AI, but his album stunk.

I have not been a fan of David A, but his first song last night was amazing! If he had sung every song during the competition with that much emotion and passion, he would definitely be a star. But, he is only 17. I really don't care for him - I'm not in the demographic that would, probably.

I liked David C's first song, also. Didn't care for the other two. As Simon has said for many seasons, it's all about song choice. I think David C could have picked much better songs.

All in all, I really don't care who wins this one.

Return to Top
#962833 - 05/21/08 05:22 PM Re: American Idol CubDave
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
I was actually looking forward to hearing them both sing the same pitiful fan-submitted song so that we would have a direct comparison to make. You know David A would've sung whatever it was as a ballad (doesn't seem he can sing anything up-tempo very well) and the contrast with what David C would've been able to do with the same song would have been interesting. And I believe David C would have taken that round. But, now we'll never know!

Return to Top
#962846 - 05/21/08 05:36 PM Re: American Idol Hoosierland
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
If David C doesn't win (I do hope he does), he may be freer to make an album as he sees fit rather than be tied into AI contracts, etc. I love David C's first and third song, not so crazy about the 2nd. that being said, David A was on last night, he really stepped up his game and the screams were a bit louder for him.

I have my tix for the local AI show in August. For the first time ever, I may actually buy a t-shirt. David C of course. BF: Completely agree that Elliot Yamins' CD is one of the best (I love Daughtry's too).

Return to Top
#963308 - 05/22/08 03:14 AM Re: American Idol P*Q
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
All I can say is

And, loved the ZZ Top song!

Return to Top
#963316 - 05/22/08 04:36 AM Re: American Idol Princess Leia
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Agree w/you Leia - David C is marketable NOW and deserved to win.

What was with Archie and the T-shirt under the tux jacket? He needs to graduate from high school, get away from his father and get a life.

Return to Top
#963323 - 05/22/08 12:11 PM Re: American Idol Snow Bunny
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
The hubby said he'll be another Lindsey Lohan - hates her parents & ends up in rehab someday

Return to Top
#963324 - 05/22/08 12:18 PM Re: American Idol Princess Leia
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
It was a great finale. The best I've seen yet. I loved the ZZ Top too!! That was awesome.

Two really nice guys too. I loved the end with David Cook singing the song.

I thought the judges looked pretty awesome too.

Return to Top
#963327 - 05/22/08 12:22 PM Re: American Idol pjs
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
What happened at the very end? We had it Tivo'd and it cut out right after they announced Cook - it panned to his mom then stopped. Did he sing after that? What was Gaspy's reaction?

Love Tivo, but hate how its so literal on time recordings.

Return to Top
#963350 - 05/22/08 12:55 PM Re: American Idol Princess Leia
Pepper's Sister Offline
Platinum Poster
Pepper's Sister
Midwest
Yes!! They got it right.....the right one won!

Return to Top
#963358 - 05/22/08 01:02 PM Re: American Idol Pepper's Sister
West Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
West Texas
Lost in the desert....
That was an awesome show last night!! I'm so happy that David C. won!

Return to Top
#963366 - 05/22/08 01:09 PM Re: American Idol West Texas
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
And he won by over 12,000,000 votes - that says a lot.

Did you see how Simon was back-peddling when he apologized to David Cook. Even the morning shows around here commented on how he must have known the winner and had to save face.

Return to Top
#963373 - 05/22/08 01:16 PM Re: American Idol Snow Bunny
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
My DVR screwed up and I only saw the last 35 minutes - I was so pissed. Surprised and happy that Cookie won!

I hate to admit it, but George Michael was very good (even though I wouldn't recognize him if I saw him on the street).

I thought the thing with ben Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey Jr. was weird - should have been like 30 seconds long.

Wish I had seen the whole thing. Do they replay it anywhere?

Return to Top
#963374 - 05/22/08 01:16 PM Re: American Idol CubDave
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
(so weird - you used to be able to ask someone if they taped it!)

Return to Top
#963383 - 05/22/08 01:23 PM Re: American Idol CubDave
A_G Online
10K Club
::bows down::

Mariska Hargitay

Return to Top
#963385 - 05/22/08 01:24 PM Re: American Idol CubDave
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Dave, check with your friends and family to see if anyone Tivo'd/DVR'd it.

I have to say, this was the best finale ever. Most seasons, I find myself bored at times and wishing it wasn't so long. I was surprised this year that it was over and they were ready to sing.

My awards:

Best Performance of the Night:

The nominees were David Cook and David Archuletta with their opening song singing *gasp* harmonies, Brooke White with Graham Nash singing Teach your Children, and Syesha Mercado singing with Seal.

The winner? David Cook and David Archuletta singing harmony.

Best Guest of the Night:

The nominees were Graham Nash, ZZ Top, Donna Summer, and One Republic.

The winner? Donna Summer. She can still sing! Wow. I loved when she turned it over to Syesha for a bit.

Most akward moment:

The nominees were Simon backtracking on being rude to David Cook, and Amanda Overmeyer being forced to return to the show.

The winner? Amanda Overmeyer. I've never seen anyone look as unhappy to be on the big stage. She looked totally out of place and as if she was told to lip synch and just do the moves until she got her solo.

Best Returning Former Contestant:

The nominees were David Hernandez who stole his moment in the spotlight, Michael Johns, who was given a lot of time despite his early eviction, and Syesha Mercado, the #3 contestant who was given a lot of time to strut her stuff.

The winner? Michael Johns. Why? He is clearly ready to move through Idol and take advantage of his celebrity.

Return to Top
#963386 - 05/22/08 01:24 PM Re: American Idol A_G
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy

Mariska Hargitay

I LOVED that bit. I'm actually looking forward to renting the video already.

Return to Top
#963389 - 05/22/08 01:26 PM Re: American Idol B_F
A_G Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan

Mariska Hargitay

I LOVED that bit. I'm actually looking forward to renting the video already.

I can't wait to see that movie!

Return to Top
#963392 - 05/22/08 01:28 PM Re: American Idol A_G
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan

Mariska Hargitay

I think she's a hottie

running out quick so no one gets the wrong idea

Audit guy, great tag line.

Return to Top
#963395 - 05/22/08 01:29 PM Re: American Idol A_G
Peepers Offline
10K Club
The dueting Davids was the most painful thing I've ever seen on live TV.

At least a quasi-rocker won this year.

Return to Top
#963405 - 05/22/08 01:38 PM Re: American Idol Princess Leia
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Princess Leia

Mariska Hargitay

I think she's a hottie

running out quick so no one gets the wrong idea

Audit guy, great tag line.

She is a hottie, but that isn't the point. I guess you have to see it to understand.

Return to Top
#963431 - 05/22/08 01:53 PM Re: American Idol B_F
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Well - Idol is a done deal. Time for me to crawl out of BOL until the Season 8 starts (unless I get weak and decide to get my BOL fantasy football fix on).

Be good everyone!

Return to Top
Page 37 of 39 1 2 35 36 37 38 39