Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#965486 - 05/27/08 08:15 PM Barack Obama is getting called out again.....
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Barack Obama is getting called out again for his knowledge of history, including his own family’s, after declaring to veterans on Memorial Day that his uncle helped liberate the Auschwitz death camp at the end of World War II.

Two problems with the tale: Auschwitz was liberated by the Soviet Army, and Obama’s American mother was an only child.

Speaking in Las Cruces, N.M., on Monday, the Democratic presidential candidate said he did not serve, but comes from a family that did sacrifice for the nation. He was speaking about the many members of the military who suffer post traumatic stress disorder and should be given better care.

“I had a uncle who was one of the, who was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps and the story in our family is that when he came home, he just went up into the attic and he didn’t leave the house for six months, right. Now obviously something had really affected him deeply but at that time there just weren’t the kinds of facilities to help somebody work through that kind of pain,” he said.

However, a quick check on the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Web site shows that Soviet forces were the first to approach Auschwitz, which was in Poland.

“On Jan. 27, 1945, the Soviet army entered Auschwitz and liberated more than 7,000 remaining prisoners,” the site reads.

U.S. forces did liberate several camps, including Ohrdruf Concentration Camp on April 4, 1945; Mittelbau-Dora Concentration Camp on April 11, 1945; Buchenwald on April 12, 1945; Dachau on April 29, 1945; and Mauthausen on May 5, 1945.

Obama was raised in part by his grandparents, and his father served in the second World War.

A request for clarification has been made to the Obama campaign. Meanwhile, the Republican National Committee seized on the comments.

“Barack Obama’s dubious claim is inconsistent with world history and demands an explanation. It was Soviet troops that liberated Auschwitz, so unless his uncle was serving in the Red Army, there’s no way Obama’s statement yesterday can be true. Obama’s frequent exaggerations and outright distortions raise questions about his judgment and his readiness to lead as commander in chief,” said RNC Press Secretary Alex Conant.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/27/recollection-of-obama-familys-service-missing-key-details/

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#965506 - 05/27/08 08:28 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... MB Guy
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Please, let's just give him a chance to backpedal clarify his comments.

Return to Top
#965509 - 05/27/08 08:31 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... MB Guy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
My great-uncle was one of the Americans who were a part of liberating some of the Auschwitz sub camps. Were you aware that there were close to 50 subcamps of Auschwitz, some of which were liberated by American troops?

Return to Top
#965511 - 05/27/08 08:34 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Barack Obama is getting called out again for his knowledge of history, including his own family’s, after declaring to veterans on Memorial Day that his uncle helped liberate the Auschwitz death camp at the end of World War II.

Two problems with the tale: Auschwitz was liberated by the Soviet Army, and Obama’s American mother was an only child.

Honestly, the part about Auschwitz didn't bother me REMOTELY as much as the fact that his mom was an ONLY CHILD.

Return to Top
#965513 - 05/27/08 08:35 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... MB Guy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH

Return to Top
#965518 - 05/27/08 08:39 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... B_F
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Honestly, not terribly in bad taste, but also not very funny, at least to me.

Return to Top
#965523 - 05/27/08 08:43 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... MB Guy
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Could he have possibly have meant a great uncle, one of his grandparents siblings?

I have several great aunts and great uncles, none of which I refer to as "great" uncle Ollie, just as uncle Ollie.

Return to Top
#965524 - 05/27/08 08:44 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... #Just Jay
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
If not, it will become necessary for him to invent one.

Return to Top
#965525 - 05/27/08 08:44 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... #Just Jay
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Yes, that is possible.

I am sure we will hear what "he meant to say" any moment now, just like last week.

And the week before.

Oh, and the week before that....

Return to Top
#965533 - 05/27/08 08:53 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... MB Guy
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Just like all of them...

Return to Top
#965579 - 05/27/08 10:06 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... #Just Jay
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
Could he have possibly have meant a great uncle, one of his grandparents siblings?

I have several great aunts and great uncles, none of which I refer to as "great" uncle Ollie, just as uncle Ollie.

I have those who fought in the war, but I think it was the revolutionary one, not one of these to end all wars

Return to Top
#965618 - 05/28/08 03:25 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... Pale Rider
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Who cares what he says. How could you not vote for him? He stands up strait, speaks well and is black. If you vote against him, it is proof of your racism.

Return to Top
#965628 - 05/28/08 03:32 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... Sound Tactic
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
OK, OK, so its wasn't Auschwitz or one of its subcamps; it was a subcamp of another concentration camp. But it was WWII. This is first I heard of anyone spending 6 months up in the attic though, that is unusual.

Return to Top
#965677 - 05/28/08 04:13 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... Pale Rider
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
And of course his speechwriters didn't bother to fact check the story, or they thought no one would notice.

Return to Top
#965782 - 05/28/08 06:18 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... Blade Scrapper
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I'm sure we've just taken it out of context, and the Great Orator Ronzilla will soon come and explain it all to us, and how the RNC Chairman is distorting what Obama said. Until then, we are all too stupid to be focusing on this trivial issue. After, we will just be too stupid...

Return to Top
#966383 - 05/29/08 07:03 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... HappyGilmore
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Wow I hate to try and clear this up, but I heard on the news last night it was actually a great uncle, but not auschwistz(SP)

Return to Top
#966419 - 05/29/08 07:43 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... kms
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: kms
Wow I hate to try and clear this up, but I heard on the news last night it was actually a great uncle, but not auschwistz(SP)

That wouldn't surprise me either. A lot of people say Auschwitz when they mean Buchenwald, because Auschwitz is the best known camp.

Return to Top
#966439 - 05/29/08 07:57 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... B_F
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
His claims that an uncle did this or Hillary's that she ducked fire affect their electability exactly how? I'm so sick of all of this. I just want to know what their damn platforms are! Yes, this election SHOULD be all about what the candidate can do for ME and the rest of this country's citizens not what great uncle Willie did.

sorry. rant over

Return to Top
#966446 - 05/29/08 08:03 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... Truffle Royale
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Did you miss the whole thing that Barrack Obama is about change? That's what he's going to do for you. He's going to change you!

Return to Top
#966455 - 05/29/08 08:13 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... Truffle Royale
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
His claims that an uncle did this or Hillary's that she ducked fire affect their electability exactly how? I'm so sick of all of this. I just want to know what their damn platforms are! Yes, this election SHOULD be all about what the candidate can do for ME and the rest of this country's citizens not what great uncle Willie did.

sorry. rant over

So would you rather elect a liar who claims he cares about your issues or someone who is honest but his plans differ from your opinions?

Return to Top
#966483 - 05/29/08 08:44 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... B_F
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Hey don't forget about Hope(whatever that means)

Return to Top
#966486 - 05/29/08 08:46 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... kms
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
"So would you rather elect a liar who claims he cares about your issues or someone who is honest but his plans differ from your opinions"

Which one of those 2 is the honest one?

Return to Top
#966527 - 05/29/08 09:23 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... GuitarDude
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'm sick to death of media hype about non-essentials. Really, so the family story said Uncle Willie did this and it turns out it's just a family story. Who cares???!!! He has pride in the uncle and other Americans who helped liberate concentration camps. ok. Now, what's you foreign policy going to look like? But no. He's not sequeing into that discussion, is he?

Return to Top
#966633 - 05/30/08 12:43 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... GuitarDude
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
TR, had you ever found an actual reason to vote for Barak like I asked earlier this week, or are you still trying to find one?

Return to Top
#966636 - 05/30/08 12:49 PM Re: Barack Obama is getting called out again..... Sound Tactic
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Did everybody enjoy last weekends sermon by the Rev. Michael Pfleger, at Obama's Church???

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2