Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#96671 - 07/13/03 05:26 PM Section 508 coverage?
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
In the past we've discussed ADA's first cousin, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. 508 mainly applies to government agency websites, but it can also apply to sites of government contractors.

Does anyone know of a bank that is covered by Section 508 and the steps it is taking to comply?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#96672 - 07/13/03 05:35 PM Re: Section 508 coverage?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I haven't completely investigated this and didn't get a conclusive answer in the few folks I discussed this with, but banks on military posts have contracts with them. They are vendors. But they are not contractors providing services to the government, rather soldiers, dependants, retirees, etc.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#96673 - 07/13/03 06:20 PM Re: Section 508 coverage?
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
It would seem that 508 could only apply in cases where your govt. contract involved provision of electronic or information technology. Checking accounts and auto loans to GIs would not be covered even if the agency provided these services directly.

On the other hand, if you have a contract to develop a part of the agency's web site, you would be covered. (That's the reason why The Checkers Bank suffered an untimely demise.)

I don't know of any service that banks normally provide to govt. agencies that would cause them to be covered, but being the eternal skeptic I keep thinking there must be a hook somewhere.

Return to Top
#96674 - 07/14/03 12:17 PM Re: Section 508 coverage?
SkyDiver Offline
Gold Star
SkyDiver
Northeast
Several years back the word was that financial institutions were considered government contractors because of selling savings bonds. I do not know if that is still the conventional wisdom.

Return to Top
#96675 - 07/14/03 12:58 PM Re: Section 508 coverage?
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
We could also be viewed as a contractor by virtue of accepting tax deposits, but to be covered by 508, it looks like you would have to hold a contract to provide hardware, software or technology services to the government. I can't think of any routine banking product or service that would place a bank in this role & that's the question--does anyone know of a bank that IS covered by Section 508 and the type of business activity that caused it to be covered?

Return to Top
#96676 - 07/14/03 03:41 PM Re: Section 508 coverage?
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Does 508 apply only to federal government agencies?

Return to Top
#96677 - 07/14/03 03:50 PM Re: Section 508 coverage?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If you mean is it applicable to contractors or vendors of state agencies, or the state agencies themselves, my understanding is no. But that doesn't mean there isn't a state law which is comparable. (I am not aware of anything for Texas.)
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#96678 - 07/14/03 04:04 PM Re: Section 508 coverage?
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
It's been my understanding that Congress only intended for it to apply to federal agencies and any vendors they use to supply computers, software and other IT services and products. Having experienced the law of unintended consequences I keep thinking there's going to be a way that banks get sucked into 508.

Return to Top