Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#967513 - 06/02/08 04:08 PM MSB's
BSARocks Offline
If a gas station is sending out wires by Western Union, are they now a MSB?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#967522 - 06/02/08 04:16 PM Re: MSB's BSARocks
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
more than likely ...

They are probably an Agent of Western Union. You'll need to have a conversation with the customer (better yet, a site visit) to determine the extent ...

Return to Top
#967529 - 06/02/08 04:24 PM Re: MSB's WonderWoman
BSARocks Offline
That's how I found out they were doing the wires. I was there getting gas, and I saw the Western Union sign hanging in the window. I am also going to call them and see if they are cashing checks too. I didn't see any signs for check cashin.
So if they are an agent for Western Union are they a MSB or is the Western Union the MSB?

Return to Top
#967540 - 06/02/08 04:36 PM Re: MSB's BSARocks
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
They are an MSB but do not have to register with FinCEN (as long as they don't do anything else such as cash checks) since WU is registered. You should ask them for a copy of their WU agreement.

Return to Top
#967560 - 06/02/08 04:53 PM Re: MSB's devsfan
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
Western is the MSB - they are merely an agent of Western Union. If they are cashing checks totaling over $1,000 for one customer in one business day, they are themselves also an MSB. If they are doing this, you should see multiple third party checks deposited into their checking account and also you should see cash withdrawals made to fund cash in the business for cashing the checks.

Good luck!

Return to Top
#967561 - 06/02/08 04:54 PM Re: MSB's devsfan
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
Western is the MSB - your customer is merely an agent of Western Union. If they are cashing checks totaling over $1,000 for one customer in one business day, they are themselves also an MSB. If they are doing this, you should see multiple third party checks deposited into their checking account and also you should see cash withdrawals made to fund cash in the business for cashing the checks.

Good luck!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z