Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#967 - 03/16/01 03:28 PM Guidances from Treasury, issued 3/7/01
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Treasury Department issued Guidances regarding Limited English Proficient Persons; refer to Fed Register Vol 66 No 45 3/7/01 page 13829.
The Guidances discuss the translation of documents, use of interpreters,posting of signs and a "Language Assistance Program". By definition, because banks have insured accounts and borrow from the FED, it would appear that banks are indirect recipients of Federal finacial assistance, and therefore these guidances would apply to banks. HOWEVER, no one has been able to confirm this. Pursuant with the Treasury's Guidances should we all start translating documents and developing yet another policy?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#968 - 03/17/01 05:03 AM Re: Guidances from Treasury, issued 3/7/01
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Well - if so, then we have a direct conflict with California law on what we may need to do. I don't remember the exact provisions, but it was so onerous that most banks shy away from providing translated documents.

Return to Top
#969 - 03/17/01 05:16 AM Re: Guidances from Treasury, issued 3/7/01
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I am not familiar with this, but we have many different language speaking persons in our communities. What are the limitations as the languages?

Also, Reg. Z has some statements on the translations to be made available on documents as does the FDIC. I recall the FDIC having to approve any variances from the English version of the standard Member FDIC, though they may be requested.

Hopefully any applicability to us is a stretch.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top