Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#968694 - 06/03/08 09:49 PM stop pmts on debit transactions??
Anonymous
Unregistered

A customer paid for a magazine subscription by debit card. It is a monthly payment. She called the company to have it cancelled but was told they could not cancel it because they worked for a second company whom they had already paid in full for the service. Customer wants to put a Stop Payment on the item. Is this possible and if so, how do we return the item? We cant return it as a normal ACH draft, right?? We're new to the debit card scene by the way.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#969475 - 06/04/08 07:57 PM Re: stop pmts on debit transactions?? Anonymous
remerson Offline
New Poster
Our Check Card agreement states: "You cannot place a stop payment on any transaction made with your Check Card".

#969523 - 06/04/08 08:49 PM Re: stop pmts on debit transactions?? remerson
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
You need to call the company that processes your debit card transactions. You may be able to process a chargeback but it sounds like this one would be kind of tricky because your customer did authorize the payment initially.

#969549 - 06/04/08 09:14 PM Re: stop pmts on debit transactions?? RR Sarah
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
Sounds like the customer Authorized a monthly payment, and now has attempted to inform the company that they are revoking that authorization for future charges.
It is a Reg E dispute and you need to treat is as such & file with your processor using language similar to . . .
The Merchant continues to charge (debit) my account for services I cancelled on _____________________ (date).
Method of cancellation was _________________________________ (i.e. phone, certified letter, in person).

#971964 - 06/09/08 09:21 PM Re: stop pmts on debit transactions?? ktac MITCH
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Even though you're dealing with a debit card transaction, it qualifies as a pre-authorized EFT under the definition of that term in Regulation E. Accordingly, your customer has a stop payment right and you need to get with your debit card processor to block those transfers. If any of the transfers make it through, you will need to do a chargeback under the MasterCard or Visa rules.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale