Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#970865 - 06/06/08 05:03 PM Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Quote:
Barack Obama is trying hard to win evangelical voters. Does that effort stand a chance?

If one third of white evangelicals voted for Bill Clinton the second time, at the height of Monica Lewinsky mess--that's a statistic I didn't believe at first but I double and triple checked it--I would not be surprised if that many or more voted for Barack Obama in this election. You're seeing some movement among evangelicals as the term [evangelical] has become more pejorative. There's a reaction among some evangelicals to swing out to the left in an effort to prove that evangelicals are really not that right wing. There's some concern that maybe Republicans haven't done that well. And there's this fascination with Barack Obama. So I will not be surprised if he gets one third of the evangelical vote. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 40-percent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/06/religious-right-figure-ge_n_105667.html

We've got ourselves are devout bunch of Evangelicals here, so what do you think?
Can Obama tap into the "religious right"?
He's, without a doubt, the more publically religious of the two.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#970867 - 06/06/08 05:05 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Imagine
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
0% chance of the evangelicals I know

where does he worship now?

Return to Top
#970871 - 06/06/08 05:07 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Pale Rider
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider

where does he worship now?

All jokes aside, that is a good question.

Return to Top
#970874 - 06/06/08 05:08 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Imagine
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
wonder where he worships in D.C.?

Return to Top
#970877 - 06/06/08 05:11 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Pale Rider
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Don, why do you think Evangelicals will not vote for Obama?

Return to Top
#970878 - 06/06/08 05:13 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Hmmm, maybe because they are fed up with abortoin on demand, the redefining of marriage by courts sympathetic to Obama's views, their angst at his mischaracterization of them as "hanging onto guns and religion." These are just for starters.

Return to Top
#970887 - 06/06/08 05:22 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals TheManofSteel
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
The only evangelicals Obama will pull in are going to be totally uniformed voters. That being said, the MOST he's going to be able to pull in is about 3%.

1. His pastor has turned off a lot of Christians.
2. There are too many questions about his faith.
3. Is he a muslim or isn't he?
4. People hang on to religion.... said with a negative sound.
5. He's too liberal in his beliefs. Evangelicals want change, but in the opposite direction of Obama.

Return to Top
#970891 - 06/06/08 05:25 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Imagine
Can Obama tap into the "religious right"?
He's, without a doubt, the more publically religious of the two.

No Christians I know are voting for him except for diehard Liberals.

Return to Top
#970892 - 06/06/08 05:27 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
GL:
First and foremost, do you deny that there are other issues that Evangelicals look at besides abortion and gay marriage?

BF:
#1. Who has questions of his faith?
#2. Do you buy into the "Obama is a Muslim" smear?
#3. As with GL, are there no "liberal" Evangelicals?

Might I suggest you both visit this site: http://faith.barackobama.com/page/content/faithhome

Return to Top
#970902 - 06/06/08 05:33 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Imagine
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Don't visit that link. It's spin doctoring at its best. Don't you get it? We are fed spoon for spoon what they want you to know and believe.

Return to Top
#970908 - 06/06/08 05:38 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Don, why do you think Evangelicals will not vote for Obama?

Frank - why do you think they will? His current choices in following his faith have led him to the mess he is in, having to publicly denounce his pastor of "20 plus years" and the Catholic Church asking another of his religious leaders to step down. I'm certain that he is now doing polls to determine which pastor is best for his image and his campaign, and it is not a faith-based decision he will make, but one on what will garner him the most support.

Return to Top
#970919 - 06/06/08 05:51 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
GL:
First and foremost, do you deny that there are other issues that Evangelicals look at besides abortion and gay marriage?

I think there are alot of issues Neo, but many of those issues are on a same general spectrum as this. Abortion and the general right to life, including protecting ones life, ones loved ones and ones property through use of righteous force via the Second Amendment. How about general family issues and the very understanding of what a family connotates? How about the right to chhose one's own physician rather than have it handpicked for you by a massive bureaucracy? Many of these issues mean alot to those evangelical voters (of which I do not fall into the category although I agree with them on certain issues).

SO no, it is not simply 2 issues, thise 2 issues reflect alot of other positions.

Return to Top
#970930 - 06/06/08 06:01 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals iAutomate
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: iAutomate
Don't visit that link. It's spin doctoring at its best. Don't you get it? We are fed spoon for spoon what they want you to know and believe.

Who is "they"?
Would you say the same about this site?
http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/95b18512-d5b6-456e-90a2-12028d71df58.htm

Return to Top
#970935 - 06/06/08 06:04 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Green Lantern
GL:

I think there are alot of issues Neo, but many of those issues are on a same general spectrum as this. Abortion and the general right to life, including protecting ones life, ones loved ones and ones property through use of righteous force via the Second Amendment. How about general family issues and the very understanding of what a family connotates? How about the right to chhose one's own physician rather than have it handpicked for you by a massive bureaucracy? Many of these issues mean alot to those evangelical voters (of which I do not fall into the category although I agree with them on certain issues).

SO no, it is not simply 2 issues, thise 2 issues reflect alot of other positions.

Ok, you're mixing political fundamentalism and being a religious Evangelical.
I do not deny that abortion and marriage issues are very important to Evangelical voters, but there is more to the "right to life" issue than abortion and guns (which I find intriguing that you'd bring up gun ownership in a debate on religious and faith issues and Evangelical votes). Perhaps those concerned with the "right to life" are concerned about the nature of poverty in this country? Perhaps they are concerned with the way we are treating our planet?

You need to branch out from the abortion and gay marriage issue.

Return to Top
#970939 - 06/06/08 06:07 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
#1. Who has questions of his faith?

Anyone who's listened to the kinds of things his pastor has said, listened to him say negative things about other people "clinging to religion", or who do any research about his heritage.

#2. Do you buy into the "Obama is a Muslim" smear?

Do I buy into it? Nope. From what I've seen, he's anti-religion, PERIOD. I don't buy he has any real faith at all.

#3. As with GL, are there no "liberal" Evangelicals?

Not many. The problem is, while there are liberal Evangelicals, there aren't many who will accept his level of liberalism.

Return to Top
#970946 - 06/06/08 06:10 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Green Lantern
GL:

Ok, you're mixing political fundamentalism and being a religious Evangelical.
I do not deny that abortion and marriage issues are very important to Evangelical voters, but there is more to the "right to life" issue than abortion and guns (which I find intriguing that you'd bring up gun ownership in a debate on religious and faith issues and Evangelical votes). Perhaps those concerned with the "right to life" are concerned about the nature of poverty in this country? Perhaps they are concerned with the way we are treating our planet?

You need to branch out from the abortion and gay marriage issue.

The problem is, the number one concern amongst the Evangelic voting block is just that, right to life, and right to faith. Obama has belittled the right to faith, and stands for abortion rights.

Is protecting our planet important to Evangelicals? Sure, but is it more important than the topic of abortion? Not even close.

What about the nature of poverty? Yes, it's important, but not more important than the topic of abortion, and frankly, most true Christians will tell you that giving to the government to give to the poor is a losing proposition. Better to give directly to the poor.

Return to Top
#970956 - 06/06/08 06:13 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals B_F
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
So true BF. So much more good is done for the needy not by the government, but by concerned citizens who take initiative.

And that includes classic liberals who have done much good as private citizens without the help of the government, i.e. Jimmy Carter and his Habitat for Humanity, Clinton's Foundation etc.

All without the U.S. Government, which has been and always will be an inefficient and ineffective source of charitable initiatives no matter what party holds office.

Return to Top
#971048 - 06/06/08 07:26 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals TheManofSteel
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Imagine - yes. Don't forget he and Kennedy tried to get an amnesty bill passed in the past.

Return to Top
#971072 - 06/06/08 07:48 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals iAutomate
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: iAutomate
Imagine - yes. Don't forget he and Kennedy tried to get an amnesty bill passed in the past.

and yet only 29% of Hispanic voters support McCain

Return to Top
#971077 - 06/06/08 07:59 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Pale Rider
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Thats because the other 71% are here illeagally and can't vote

Return to Top
#971078 - 06/06/08 08:00 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals Pale Rider
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Good. I'm hispanic. I don't want ANY kind of amnesty. If it were up to me I'd spend the money to deport those here illegally, regardless of their country of origin. Can you believe they feed you ( pay attention Image ) nonsense like "they are hard workers" and "family oriented" instead of the REAL immediate issue that they are BREAKING THE LAW of the land by being here.

Return to Top
#971083 - 06/06/08 08:02 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals iAutomate
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
exactly...that is why my town now has half of its popluation...

Return to Top
#971089 - 06/06/08 08:06 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals kms
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Well, I am good and hardworking. Is it ok for me to break certain laws that will benefit me so I can earn a better living than I do now?
Last edited by Green Lantern; 06/06/08 08:07 PM.

Return to Top
#971093 - 06/06/08 08:12 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals TheManofSteel
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
could you look yourself in the mirror the next day and be comfortable with yourself?

Return to Top
#971104 - 06/06/08 08:30 PM Re: Obama Could Win 40 Percent Of Evangelicals kms
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
With my flintstone mug, probably not.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2