Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#97272 - 07/15/03 08:24 PM Construction Loans-Cost Overruns-ROR?
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
I have searched the Threads, and read section 226.23 of Reg Z, and the corresponding Commentary and am not sure what the answer is to this question? We have a residential construction loan to a consumer. There have been cost overruns, and now they need additional funds to finish the construction. They plan to occupy the house as their principal dwelling when construction is complete. The note and mortgage were modified and increased to include the original amount, plus the new funds for the overruns.

Big question - does the right of rescission apply to the new funds being advanced for the overruns - or would it still be considered part of the residential mortgage transaction and exempt from ROR? The borrowers currently occupy another house as their principal dwelling, and it has not been pledged as part of the collateral on this construction loan.

Thanks for any help on this, or providing a link to where this situation has been previously discussed.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#97273 - 07/15/03 08:30 PM Re: Construction Loans-Cost Overruns-ROR?
Little Sister Offline
100 Club
Iowa
I'll take a stab - since it isn't their primary residence at the moment I'd say rescission doesn't apply. Also when they do go from construction to permanent rescission won't apply because it will be a residential mortgage transaction.

Return to Top
#97274 - 07/15/03 09:54 PM Re: Construction Loans-Cost Overruns-ROR?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This should be a continuation of the RMT exception. No RoR.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#97275 - 07/16/03 08:19 PM Re: Construction Loans-Cost Overruns-ROR?
Sandra Offline
Sandra
Massachusetts
I was just asked this same question and when I did a search I was surprised to find the thread posted only yesterday. Just one twist on our situation. We are not doing a modification of the construction loan. We are doing a refinance with new documents. Now does rescission apply?

Return to Top
#97276 - 07/16/03 08:41 PM Re: Construction Loans-Cost Overruns-ROR?
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
I still think you are dealing with a residential mortgage transaction. Therefore, no rescission.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z