Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#972452 - 06/10/08 06:00 PM Negative Information
Anonymous
Unregistered

According to FACTA a Notice of Negative Information must be given to "consumers", which is defined as an individual. My question is what if we have a business loan in a LLC name, but an individual is personally guarantying the loan. Do we need to give a Notice of Negative Information on the business loan?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#972674 - 06/10/08 08:51 PM Re: Negative Information Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Actually is says it must be given to customers as defined by section 509 Public Law 106--102.

From the FAQ to to GLBA:

http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/glbact/glb-faq.htm

Q&A B. 1.

. . . A customer is a type of consumer, namely, an individual who has an ongoing relationship with you under which you provide a financial product or service. . . .

Therefore if you will report negative information on the individual (customer) then yes you must provide the notice.

#973534 - 06/11/08 10:15 PM Re: Negative Information Dan Persfull
fmissle Online
Diamond Poster
Pac NW
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
Actually is says it must be given to customers as defined by section 509 Public Law 106--102.

From the FAQ to to GLBA:

http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/glbact/glb-faq.htm

Q&A B. 1.

. . . A customer is a type of consumer, namely, an individual who has an ongoing relationship with you under which you provide a financial product or service. . . .

Therefore if you will report negative information on the individual (customer) then yes you must provide the notice.

(not the original poster, but)... looking further, I see this
Note that neither a business nor an individual who obtains a financial product or service for business purposes is a consumer or a customer under the Privacy Rule.

So if the loan was business purpose, even if the guarantor is an individual, do you still have to give them the notice? That makes me think no.

#973623 - 06/12/08 01:39 AM Re: Negative Information fmissle
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I am aware of that statement and it would be a point of discussion, but as I look at it, it states that they are not customers for the purposes of the privacy rules. The FACT Act merely refers to the definition of a customer.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale