Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#973725 - 06/12/08 01:22 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! B_F
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i'm willing to go out on a limb and call you on actually reading obama's book. the conservablog's cliff notes version doesn't count, bf.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#973731 - 06/12/08 01:23 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! MB Guy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Honestly, MB, I wish I still had it so I could mail it to Neo. Unfortunately, I gave it to a friend who used to be an Obama supporter.

Return to Top
#973733 - 06/12/08 01:24 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! B_F
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Heck, I'd even be happy if BengalsFan would provide the definition of 'racist' that he's using...

Return to Top
#973734 - 06/12/08 01:25 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Ronzilla
i'm willing to go out on a limb and call you on actually reading obama's book. the conservablog's cliff notes version doesn't count, bf.

Honestly, I really don't care if a pot head who hasn't read the book wants to say I didn't read it. All I'm asking is that those who support Obama DO read it. Go back to your bong and cheetos.

Frankly, you can see his racism in comments he makes about being a typical white person.
Last edited by Bengalsfan; 06/12/08 01:26 PM.
Return to Top
#973741 - 06/12/08 01:30 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Hrothgar Geiger
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
Heck, I'd even be happy if BengalsFan would provide the definition of 'racist' that he's using...

How about simple hatred and intolerance of another race? Simple enough for you?

That's clear in the way he chides his grandmother for being a typical white person. It's clear in the way he continues to listen to advisors who claim "the white man" is keeping them down. It's clear when he calls for "the Joshua Generation" to follow him in bridging the final gap between them and "the white man".

Unless, of course, you want to claim, and I'm sure you will, that "the white man" has no negative connotations.

Return to Top
#973742 - 06/12/08 01:31 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! B_F
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
of course he is racist, bf. *pats head* when you have the ability to play "shifting sands definitions" you can turn any pejorative word into a canard.

"beware the racist sleeper cell agent!"

-Bengalsfan

Return to Top
#973746 - 06/12/08 01:33 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
of course he is racist, bf. *pats head* when you have the ability to play "shifting sands definitions" you can turn any pejorative word into a canard.

"beware the racist sleeper cell agent!"

-Bengalsfan

Shifting sands definition? Come on. You're even more pathetic than I thought. The definition is simple. When you continue to use words like "Typical White Person" and "The White Man" as a derrogatory term, you're acting in a racist fashion. It's no different than if I were to say something like "My friend is a typical black person. He has three children by two different women, neither of whom he is married to. His children and their mothers are on welfare, and he works three minimal wage jobs to pay his child support." As soon as I generalize from one person's bad situation or bad acts, and say it is typical of his entire race, I'm acting racist.

Return to Top
#973760 - 06/12/08 01:46 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! B_F
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Based upon what BF said and comments made by Hussein Obama, I would have to say he was a racist. Just like Neo and Ron must be to feel so ashamed of their feelings that they need to throw the word racist at other posts like its going out of style.

Return to Top
#973774 - 06/12/08 01:56 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Relax
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
would you quote a person in a book you were writing if you didn't think they were a great person or a great role model that you would like others to identify with?

Of course I would. I would even quote George Bush if it related to what I was writing. The idea that you only quote people that you agree with doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
blood being "expunged" (which Webster tells us means to erase or remove completely, which why would you want something good erased or removed...and Malcolm X is 1/2 white

Why? Well, Malcolm X refers to it in the quote when he talks about violence. He indicated that his white background was a result of his grandmother being raped. Obviously, that has a bearing on whether he considers it to be something good. It is also something totally unrelated to Obama's experience, which was quite different.

Return to Top
#973775 - 06/12/08 02:01 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Yossarian
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Yossarian, Ron, and Neo...

If I said you were all typical black people, would that be racist?

Return to Top
#973783 - 06/12/08 02:08 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! B_F
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Yossarian, Ron, and Neo...

If I said you were all typical black people, would that be racist?

No. You'd just be stupid, since I am white.

Return to Top
#973789 - 06/12/08 02:10 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Imagine
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
While the "white blood" line is not listed here; from the Obama campaign comes a website set up to debunk the kinds of myths that BF and company try to spread to create false fear regarding Obama.

Quote:
A recent email forward allegedly quotes passages from Senator Obama's books related to race and religion. The majority of these are alterations, deliberate manipulations, and in one case, an outright fabrication, of Obama's words.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/invite/therealquote

Return to Top
#973793 - 06/12/08 02:13 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Imagine
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Gasp, imagine that. Obama is trying to say "what I meant was"....

Return to Top
#973797 - 06/12/08 02:16 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! B_F
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Oh, and notice, he says nothing about wanting his white blood to recede and knowing it can't. Why? Because he can't.

Return to Top
#973798 - 06/12/08 02:16 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! B_F
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
I posted the actual "white blood" quote. In talking about Malcolm X, Obama said:

"He spoke of a wish he'd once had, the wish that the white blood that ran through him, there by an act of violence, might somehow be expunged. I knew that, for Malcolm, that wish would never be incidental. I knew as well that traveling down the road to self-respect my own white blood would never recede into mere abstraction."

So, that's it. Obama's white heritage would never recede into mere abstraction. Not particularly racist, is it?

What Obama wrote, in context:

"Only Malcolm X's autobiography seemed to offer something different. His repeated acts of self-creation spoke to me. The blunt poetry of his words, his unadorned insistence on respect, promised a new and uncompromising order, martial in its discipline, forged through sheer force of will. All the other stuff, the talk of blue-eyed devils and apocalypse, was incidental to that program, I decided. Religious baggage that Malcolm himself seemed to have safely abandoned toward the end of his life. And yet, even as I imagine myself following Malcolm's call, one line in the book stayed with me. He spoke of a wish he'd once had, the wish that the white blood that ran through him, there by an act of violence, might somehow be expunged. I knew that for Malcolm, that wish would never be incidental. I knew as well that traveling down the road to self-respect, my own white blood would never recede into mere abstraction. I was left to wonder what else I would be severing, if and when I left my mother and my grandparents at some uncharted border."

I wonder what the reaction would be if McCain had written a book in which he said that, "David Duke's memior spoke to me..." and "while I longed to follow his call, I just couldn't get there..." [for this or that reason]... I'm sure that wouldn't be any big deal, right?

Return to Top
#973801 - 06/12/08 02:18 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! B_F
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian

How about simple hatred and intolerance of another race? Simple enough for you?

Thank you for answering my question. It makes your posts easier to understand. My confusion stems from a difference in our respective definition of 'racist'. Mine is: "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

Return to Top
#973825 - 06/12/08 02:42 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
I think you put the wrong part in bold:

"His repeated acts of self-creation spoke to me. The blunt poetry of his words, his unadorned insistence on respect, promised a new and uncompromising order, martial in its discipline, forged through sheer force of will. All the other stuff, the talk of blue-eyed devils and apocalypse, was incidental to that program, I decided. Religious baggage that Malcolm himself seemed to have safely abandoned toward the end of his life."

So your comparison with David Duke fails because once you take away the racial comments from Duke, there is nothing left. None of the poetry or respect that Obama referenced.

Return to Top
#973842 - 06/12/08 02:46 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Yossarian
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Strangely, Yoss, there's no bold face in the book. On the other hand, there are repeated references to "the white man" and his desire to be black and not white.

Return to Top
#973854 - 06/12/08 02:55 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Yossarian
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

"His repeated acts of self-creation spoke to me. The blunt poetry of his words, his unadorned insistence on respect, promised a new and uncompromising order, martial in its discipline, forged through sheer force of will. All the other stuff, the talk of blue-eyed devils and apocalypse, was incidental to that program, I decided. Religious baggage that Malcolm himself seemed to have safely abandoned toward the end of his life."

So your comparison with David Duke fails because once you take away the racial comments from Duke, there is nothing left. None of the poetry or respect that Obama referenced.

Amazing.

Return to Top
#973866 - 06/12/08 03:05 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Jokerman
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Jokerman

Amazing.

Those were my thoughts as well. I guess some parts are just more important than others.

Return to Top
#973871 - 06/12/08 03:09 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster

Amazing.

Thank you.

And I would imagine you don't believe him when he says that it was the "poetry" and "insistence on respect" that spoke to him rather than the "incidental" racial stuff that he refers to as baggage that even Malcolm X abandoned.

Return to Top
#973875 - 06/12/08 03:16 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Yossarian
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
hmmm i knew a guy once that thought god talked to him in morse code.

Return to Top
#973876 - 06/12/08 03:16 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: straw
while it is true that the words hate and overcome have existed for longer than you've been on this earth, when asked how obama's words could be racist and you have to include them within your paraphrasing, you are making up context it would seem.

Wait a minute. Isn't it you have argued, ad infinitum, that words do not convey all the meaning, but that is all we have to convey what is truly meant.

Or do go to that argument only when it is convenient?

ok, so where in his context is he implying those words?

So then these words convey everything he means or is there, as you have argued, some deeping meaning to the words, the hidden, implied meanings?

Return to Top
#973877 - 06/12/08 03:17 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! kms
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I know a guy in Washington who believes that God speaks through him.

Return to Top
#973881 - 06/12/08 03:25 PM Re: I'm Voting Republican! Yossarian
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

Amazing.

Thank you.

And I would imagine you don't believe him when he says that it was the "poetry" and "insistence on respect" that spoke to him rather than the "incidental" racial stuff that he refers to as baggage that even Malcolm X abandoned.

Is it possible that while Obama sees poetry in Malcolm's words, others see hatred? Where Obama sees insistence on respect, others see insistence on violence?

And that these words are the flip side of the David Duke's of the world? Can you at least concede that this line of thought is possible?

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5