BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#973858 - 06/12/08 02:58 PM Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06112008/business/chrysler_bldg__on_the_block_115016.htm

"Sources say the super-rich Abu Dhabi Investment Council is negotiating an $800 million deal for a 75 per cent stake in the Art Deco treasure that has defined the Midtown skyline since 1930."

"The deal follows last month's sale of the GM Building and three other Macklowe/Equity Portfolio properties for $3.95 billion to a group of investors including the wealth funds of Kuwait and Qatar and Boston Properties."

I don't know what to say about this. There was a huge movement some time back where people were saying "buy American". I think we need to say "sell American" instead of letting them sell America! This should be an outrage. They're using your hard-earned gas money to do this, you know that, right!? And we have an idiot lame duck President who tries to negotiate with these OPEC jerks who say, Oh, yeah, we might be able to help with your gas prices, but we won't decide anything until September, after we enjoy our summers on the dimes and backs of the American worker. They have ski lifts I the middle of the desert, thanks to our wallets.

They are inferior to us in every way. They are inferior to us militarily. They are inferior to us intellectually. They are inferior to us as a progressive society. They are inferior to us in every religious aspect you can think of. All they are is lucky enough to live where a lot of oil is. And we are, too, don't forget that. But the morons who want to save the trees don't want oil exploration to interrupt the mating seasons of birds and grasshoppers. They don't want the fish in the see to have to swim around oil derrick legs. They don't want their view of the coast to stop looking pretty. They want to save all of that so eventually the Arabs will be able to enjoy it once they buy the country wholesale from the rats who would rather sell us off little by little for a profit than to keep America for Americans. After all, our fathers and grandfather fought the World Wars so foreigners could enjoy this land, not you.

Okay, got that out of my system. I need some coffee.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#973869 - 06/12/08 03:06 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing iAutomate
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: iAutomate

They are inferior to us in every way. They are inferior to us militarily. They are inferior to us intellectually. They are inferior to us as a progressive society. They are inferior to us in every religious aspect you can think of. All they are is lucky enough to live where a lot of oil is. And we are, too, don't forget that. But the morons who want to save the trees don't want oil exploration to interrupt the mating seasons of birds and grasshoppers. They don't want the fish in the see to have to swim around oil derrick legs. They don't want their view of the coast to stop looking pretty. They want to save all of that so eventually the Arabs will be able to enjoy it once they buy the country wholesale from the rats who would rather sell us off little by little for a profit than to keep America for Americans. After all, our fathers and grandfather fought the World Wars so foreigners could enjoy this land, not you.

The only thing "inferior" I see around here is your ability to be tolerant and respectful of other cultures.

When you call someone "inferior" intellectually but end your drivel with, "After all, our fathers and grandfather fought the World Wars so foreigners could enjoy this land, not you" it shows who is "inferior" intellectually.

I am shocked and apalled by your comments.

My Grandfather fought in World War II NOT to ensure that we became a xenophobic society. They fought it so the people of the world might be free from tyranny.

Return to Top
#973873 - 06/12/08 03:12 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing iAutomate
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Take a deep breath and then go get your coffee, if that doesn't work we may need to bring in the valium

Return to Top
#973874 - 06/12/08 03:13 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing Imagine
GLKS Offline
Gold Star

They are inferior to us in every way... ...They are inferior to us intellectually.

yikes

Return to Top
#973878 - 06/12/08 03:18 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing Imagine
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
We need Charlie Day here to go America all over everybody's a$$! You want to throw down with the Patriot?

This is the greatest country in the world but alot of people forget that! We do too much whining now a days. What happened to American Pride?

We have been tolerant and respectful of everyone else but do not receive the same treatment from other cultures. I think it's gone on way too long.

Return to Top
#973879 - 06/12/08 03:18 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
fought it so the people of the world might be free from tyranny.

How do you reconcile that statement this with your views on Iraq and our presence there (I won't even get into the views of your President-elect Obama)?

Return to Top
#973884 - 06/12/08 03:27 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing HappyGilmore
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I remember this same nonsense spreading in the early 90's when the Japanese were buying up everything, including 30 Rock. It was the end of the world then too, but somehow, the Japanese economy sputtered, the Yen's value retreated and those investments in all these US properties lost millions.

But good to see that people learned from that and are not overreacting.

Return to Top
#973887 - 06/12/08 03:28 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing HappyGilmore
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I remember during the cold war a building was going up across the BW parkway from NSA, the russians tried to buy but uncle sam forked over the dollars to keep them from having it. If we do not want our stuff sold abroad then we need to appeal to the people (donald trump, bill gates etc) to help keep those properties in the us

Return to Top
#973892 - 06/12/08 03:32 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing kms
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
That was a national security isue. Can't have the Russians in the building across from the NSA. Having oil sheiks buy the Chrysler building is not exactly a national security issue.

Return to Top
#973896 - 06/12/08 03:37 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing Imagine
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
I'm going to take a shot in the dark, Imagine, and assume you take your call sign from Lennon's song. If I'm right then that tells me everything about you.

My grandfather came back from WWII with three purple hearts, and they weren't for splinters on his feet.

Do you know anything about the world we lived in during the war? before you come up that kind of politically correct rhetoric? There was no political correctness back then. All there was was xenophobia. We didn't want THEM to come over here, remember? Back then they were "Krauts", "dirty Germans", "Japs"...you picking up what I'm putting down??

I REFUSE to be tolerant OR respectful of people or cultures that aren't tolerant or repsectful towards mine. And if you think we should regadless, then you're worse off than I think.

How many world-class universities are in the Middle East? List some world-changing innovations that have come from the Middle East. How many of the wealthy in this country send their sons to Arabia to attend college. The only thing they have going for them is oil.

Return to Top
#973901 - 06/12/08 03:41 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing iAutomate
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Why do you need to feel you are better than other people?

Return to Top
#973905 - 06/12/08 03:45 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing straw
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
straw, I'm not better than anybody. I'm just a mutt who knows how to do a few things that others don't, yet SO many others do, and better!

I'm talking about being proud to be an American. I don't want to be "equal" to other countries. I want to be better. Because if you're equal, it's easier to be taken advantage of or taken over. If you're superior that becomes less likely. Why do you want to level the playing field on the world stage? Why does that make you sleep better knowing that your enemies have just as good a chance at destroying us, either by force or by economic means? Why do you think it's okay for this country to take a back seat to ANY country?

I don't understand.

Return to Top
#973910 - 06/12/08 03:48 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing iAutomate
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
straw, I'm not better than anybody. I'm just a mutt who knows how to do a few things that others don't, yet SO many others do, and better!

I'm talking about being proud to be an American. I don't want to be "equal" to other countries. I want to be better. Because if you're equal, it's easier to be taken advantage of or taken over. If you're superior that becomes less likely. Why do you want to level the playing field on the world stage? Why does that make you sleep better knowing that your enemies have just as good a chance at destroying us, either by force or by economic means? Why do you think it's okay for this country to take a back seat to ANY country?

I don't understand.

Here's the difference. If you are proud, then talk about what is great about you, your country, your way of life. Don't need to put down someone else and their way of life. If anything, I feel bad for the people in the Middle East (sans Israel) who cannot enjoy the way of life we enjoy here in America.

Furthermore, why in the world does a foreigner buying anything from us (including real estate) mean we are taking a back seat to them?

It has happened before (see my earlier post) and goes in cycles with the dollars value. It is nothing to get tweaked over and it is not the end of the world.

Return to Top
#973912 - 06/12/08 03:49 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing iAutomate
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Just thought I would let you know IBV(a europeon company) is try to buy budweiser. IBV makes Becks

Return to Top
#973927 - 06/12/08 04:03 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappearing straw
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Well, the people in the Middle East aren't allowed to enjoy the way of life we have, it's not that they can't.

Aren't you going to get tired of it? WHAT is more American than New York and Manhattan...and the Chrysler Building.

Okay, let's say things happens:

In 2008 they buy the Chrysler Building
In 2009 Dubai buys the Empire State Building
In 2010 Kuwait buys a controling interest in Disney
In 2011 Arab investment companies buy up most of the Vegas strip
in 2012 Saudi Arabia buys the rights to Apple Pie!!!

I don't want any of that to happen, but it will because they have a lot of money and morons here want it and will sell off what our grandfathers fought and died to GIVE US (no matter what others say). It doesn't make sense to have foreigners have ANY interests in this country. Regardless where they are from. I don't want Canadians buying Rigley Field. I don't want the French to buy the Alamo. I don't want Australia to buy the Hollywood sign.

Return to Top
#973959 - 06/12/08 04:23 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari kms
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: kms
Just thought I would let you know IBV(a europeon company) is try to buy budweiser. IBV makes Becks

i love it! i think it is hilarious! ibv also makes stella artois which is belgian budweiser. what's budweiser going to do with all their jingoist commercials and redneck customers?

Return to Top
#973962 - 06/12/08 04:26 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Well, the people in the Middle East aren't allowed to enjoy the way of life we have, it's not that they can't.

Aren't you going to get tired of it? WHAT is more American than New York and Manhattan...and the Chrysler Building.

I don't want any of that to happen, but it will because they have a lot of money and morons here want it and will sell off what our grandfathers fought and died to GIVE US (no matter what others say). It doesn't make sense to have foreigners have ANY interests in this country. Regardless where they are from. I don't want Canadians buying Rigley Field. I don't want the French to buy the Alamo. I don't want Australia to buy the Hollywood sign.

And what exactly happens after all these things you fear happen?

Return to Top
#974000 - 06/12/08 04:43 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari straw
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
I'm convinced you're just having your fun with me, straw, because I don't believe that you don't see it: we will be losing America. There won't be Americans here, just "people of the world" like yourself. Andy by that I don't mean we'll all of sudden have a huge crowd of Arabs coming here. I mean the American ideal will be lost.

And before you go on about "what is an American, really" I'll answer. An American is a person of ANY origin that holds the interests of THIS country first. An American is a person of ANY origin that will help preserve our way of life. An American is a person of ANY origin that will defend THIS country against all others. An American is a person of ANY origin that is willing to protect THIS country from becoming just a part of a continent instead of a country with an identity.

Is that you, straw? Can you say all those things about yourself? Probably not, because you have a problem with those that do.
Last edited by iAutomate; 06/12/08 04:44 PM.

Return to Top
#974002 - 06/12/08 04:45 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Before we go off on a tangent to prove who is a better American, more patriotic, or has a bigger member, how is that foreign ownership of these "prized" properties causes us to lose America?

What is lost? How does foreign ownership mean there won't be Americans here?

Return to Top
#974007 - 06/12/08 04:47 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari straw
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Originally Posted By: straw

And what exactly happens after all these things you fear happen?

The end of the world...December 21, 2012

Return to Top
#974011 - 06/12/08 04:49 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari straw
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
from my edit:

"...by that I don't mean we'll all of sudden have a huge crowd of Arabs coming here. I mean the American ideal will be lost."

If you had a house that your grandfather built for your father when he was a boy, do you think you're father would sell it to some guy across town just because he offered a lot of money? No, because you're father would want to leave the house to you? So, now that OUR fathers have left this country to us, why do you want to sell it off?

Return to Top
#974017 - 06/12/08 04:54 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
How is the American ideal lost? I am not asking these questions to play with you, I really don't see how an American owning 30 Rock versus a Japanese or Arab owning it means the American ideal is lost.

By the way, most of these assets are bought and sold by companies. Does it really matter if the company is HQ'd in America or not?

Return to Top
#974052 - 06/12/08 05:19 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari straw
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
The American Dream is to own a house, have a family, be successful. All of these "prized" properties are the result of Americans seeking that dream by working hard, getting things done and never stopping until they've made it. Don't we have any pride of ownership as a nation anymore? It's not about business it's about us. What if they want to buy Mt. Rushmore next? To you it wouldn't matter? That's another prized property, isn't it? Shouldn't matter who owns it?

You know, straw, it's all about the money. I'm sure those crackpots who are willing to sell this country down the river would never dream of doing so if the money wasn’t there. Do you think they’d take an offer from Bill Gates and the Don if it was less than what the Arabs are offering? Nope.

Return to Top
#974053 - 06/12/08 05:23 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Had to post this:

ON THE LIGHTER SIDE
" A spokesman for United Arab Emirates Airlines says this summer it will launch nonstop flights from the U.S. to Dubai. The spokesman said, 'We want to give Americans a chance to visit their money.'" -- Conan O'Brien

Return to Top
#974064 - 06/12/08 05:28 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Would you sell your own house to an Arab offering more money than an American?

If these properties are sold, it is a reflection of the American dream and in no way endangers your home, your family, etc.

Mount Rushmore is owned by the government, so bad analogy.

By the way, according to a Wiki article (take it for what it's worth), the negotiations are over the building's lease, as the land and building are owned by a private college.

Property
The land on which the Chrysler Building stands was donated to The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art,[20] a private college that offers every admitted student a full tuition scholarship, in 1902.[21] The land was leased to the Chrysler Corporation to construct the building in 1929.[20] The land and the building continue to be owned by the college;[22] however, the lease has changed several times. In 1957, it was leased to real-estate moguls Sol Goldman and Alex DiLorenzo, and later leased to the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company. The lobby was refurbished and the facade renovated in 1978–1979.[23][24] The building was leased by Jack Kent Cooke, a Washington, D.C. investor, in 1979. The spire underwent a restoration that was completed in 1995. In 1998, The Cooper Union leased the building to Tishman Speyer Properties and the Travelers Insurance Group. In 2001, a 75% stake in the lease of the building was sold to TMW, a German investment group.[25] On June 11, 2008 the New York Post reported that the Abu Dhabi Investment Council was in negotiations to buy TMW's 75% stake in the building.

I hope you can sleep better tonight knowing that the Chrysler building will still be owned by a college and therefore, our way of life is safe.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3