Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#974204 - 06/12/08 07:11 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari straw
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
straw, help me with this, because I don't want to be on the other side of the road if I don't have to be.

It's like with my kids. If I had a business I'd rather hire my kids to work it than someone elses. Honestly, even I thought the other kids could do a better job, it's my business and I want my kids to work it.

Wouldn't it be a little disloyal to my kids? As a father shouldn't I support my kids above all others?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#974215 - 06/12/08 07:17 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari straw
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
But wait, if a german company has owned 75% of teh building lease since 2001, then hasn't our way of life already been lost?

For the record, when I sell my house, I will be selling it to the person willing to pay the most for it. i don't care if they are from here, Timbuktu, Mars, or somewhere else. I won't care what color they are, what language they speak, what religion they are, or if they are gay, straight, or a combination of both. Because the American dream of home ownership also means I can sell this home however or whenever I want. There are no restrictions on the American dream. This country is populated by nothing but generations of immigrants and their descendants. Selling a piece of real estate will not change this...

Return to Top
#974221 - 06/12/08 07:19 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
If you hire your kids to run your business,even though they don't want to be there and someone else would do a better job, that makes you a poor businessman. That makes you an enabler, not loyal. And also it makes you a poor parent.

Return to Top
#974228 - 06/12/08 07:20 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari HappyGilmore
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
We're all going to be using the Amero before long anyway.

Thanks, all, for the volley...

Return to Top
#974230 - 06/12/08 07:21 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari HappyGilmore
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
I smell Lou Dobbs' kool-aid around these parts.
Anyone else?

Return to Top
#974232 - 06/12/08 07:22 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: iAutomate
We're all going to be using the Amero before long anyway.

Thanks, all, for the volley...

Automate, may I ask you a question?
You said, I believe, that you are a minority.
May I ask what minority group to which you belong?

And why the fear/hatred of the Arab world?

Return to Top
#974266 - 06/12/08 07:44 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
Automate, may I ask you a question?
You said, I believe, that you are a minority.
May I ask what minority group to which you belong?

And why the fear/hatred of the Arab world?

Why do I picture the Peanuts comic strip with Lucy in her wooden box with the sign "The psychiatrist is in" when I read this?

Return to Top
#974305 - 06/12/08 08:31 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari HappyGilmore
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Happy, that made me laugh out loud.

Imagine, I'm Hispanic. And, I think I've covered in the past that I don't hate the Arab world. I don't trust it.

They have some very very poor regions. There is an ultra-wealthy elite over there. The oil folks and all their pals. They treat their own people like dirt, so what's the chances they look on us any different. Apparently it's easy to buy us off because like you said, if the money is there you're going to take it. I'm sure they laugh at us that they can do that, and eventually in the future they're going to do it so much that we will start to lose, in my opinion, the country, because they will eventually own enough and have enough influence in our goverment to do whatever they want to do regardless of what the American people say.

Return to Top
#974315 - 06/12/08 08:41 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Interesting.

Are you in favor of an isolationalist foreign policy?

I'm not trying to start trouble, for a change, but I'm interested in knowing what your proposals for US foreign policy are going forward from 2008.
Last edited by Imagine; 06/12/08 08:42 PM.
Return to Top
#974319 - 06/12/08 08:53 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
There is an ultra-wealthy elite over there. The oil folks and all their pals. They treat their own people like dirt,

within reason, that can be said about just about every nation on earth, our included...

Return to Top
#974323 - 06/12/08 08:54 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari Imagine
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Our foreign policy is supposed to protect the interest of this country, nothing more. We should not be furthering the interests of any other country, bar none. And I know what that means, too, don't think I don't. But I would rather other countries live in fear or poverty before mine. Look how much money Bush has sent to Africa in all forms of aid. Aid for food, for AIDS and everything else. Billions. Billions that could help stop hunger in this country, or set up trade schools to educate those that can't afford college but might be able to afford to learn a trade.

A strong and viable foreign policy would disallow the sale of American interests, here or abroad, to foreign entities. That's my opinion.

Return to Top
#974325 - 06/12/08 08:55 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
I'm interested in knowing what your proposals for US foreign policy are going forward from 2008

I'm fairly certain that his posts have given you his thoughts on this...or, do you think he is secretly a McCain mole working in BOL to find out what everyone thinks, and you want to supply his info to President-elect Obama so he can add this to his Hope & Change tour?

Return to Top
#974326 - 06/12/08 08:55 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari HappyGilmore
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
True, but our system of classes, if you can call it that, is not as extreme as theirs.

Return to Top
#974343 - 06/12/08 09:11 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
True, but our system of classes, if you can call it that, is not as extreme as theirs.

If it is not a class system, what sort of system do we have?

Return to Top
#974346 - 06/12/08 09:14 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
A strong and viable foreign policy would disallow the sale of American interests, here or abroad, to foreign entities. That's my opinion.

I don't think that's viable at all. Granted, there are exceptions you make for national security - we're not going to engage in commerce with Iran - but why we need to be concerned about one foreign country buying lease rights to an American building from another foreign country, or why we need to be concerned about one foreign country running our ports instead of another foreign country, has always kind of escaped me. Isolating ourselves economically is the ultimate example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Return to Top
#974356 - 06/12/08 09:25 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari Jokerman
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
It's in your second sentence: national security. When you have foreign entities owning or running things that are of national interest, which include instruments of our economy and infrastucture, then the possibility of people who have beliefs contrary to ours and interests contrary to ours increases exponentially. Nothing good can come of that.

Return to Top
#974368 - 06/12/08 09:35 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari Imagine
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
It's an acceptable class system, I guess. We do have the "middle class". But we don't deny basic human rights because of your "class".

Return to Top
#974374 - 06/12/08 09:41 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
When you have foreign entities owning or running things that are of national interest, which include instruments of our economy and infrastucture

I fail to see the Chrysler Building as national interest, economic or structure wise...

are you aware of the vast number of foreign owned companies that are majority shareholders in American businesses, or are outright conglomerates operating ehre? Sony, Kia, Shell, Citgo, Nokia, Erricson, the list goes on and on...

Return to Top
#974381 - 06/12/08 09:54 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari HappyGilmore
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
He had mentioned the port deal...

Sony - Japan
Kia - Korea
Citgo - Venezuela (a joke in terms of threat)
Shell - Dutch
Nokia - Finland
Ericson - Sweden

Among which of those countries are you likely to find those that can be sympathetic towards terrorists and their beliefs?
Last edited by iAutomate; 06/12/08 09:56 PM.

Return to Top
#974384 - 06/12/08 10:02 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I would be leary of the Dutch myself.

Return to Top
#974405 - 06/12/08 10:33 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
straw, help me with this, because I don't want to be on the other side of the road if I don't have to be.

It's like with my kids. If I had a business I'd rather hire my kids to work it than someone elses. Honestly, even I thought the other kids could do a better job, it's my business and I want my kids to work it.

Wouldn't it be a little disloyal to my kids? As a father shouldn't I support my kids above all others?

Problem with the analogy is it presupposes that an individual owns the property and has family to leave it to, and further analogizes all americans as part of the family.

These properties are owned by businesses, typically public with shareholders, to whom the officers owe a fiduciary duty to maximize returns. It would be a breach of that duty to sell an asset for a lower price than could be obtained based on the nationality of the purchaser.

Finally, if we are only talking about purchasing a lease, rather than the property itself, does that give you pause or do you not see the difference.

Return to Top
#974408 - 06/12/08 10:35 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore

Sony - Japan
Kia - Korea
Shell - Dutch
Nokia - Finland
Ericson - Sweden

Among which of those countries are you likely to find those that can be sympathetic towards terrorists and their beliefs?

Which terrorists and which beliefs?

Return to Top
#974430 - 06/12/08 11:30 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari iAutomate
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

Sony - Japan
Kia - Korea
Shell - Dutch
Nokia - Finland
Ericson - Sweden

Assuming all Arabs are terrorists, how would a terrorist owning the Chrysler building be a danger to our way of life?

Return to Top
#974445 - 06/12/08 11:48 PM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari Hrothgar Geiger
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian

Sony - Japan
Kia - Korea
Shell - Dutch
Nokia - Finland
Ericson - Sweden

Which terrorists and which beliefs?

From this list I would say Venezuela vis a vis the neo-marxist Columbian terrorist group FARC. That being said, I cannot say I can subscribe to a hard-line John Birch-like isolationism espoused by my esteemed colleague.

Return to Top
#974503 - 06/13/08 02:18 AM Re: Greed, the Sale, and why America is disappeari Blade Scrapper
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I'm sorry, but I thought this was a thread about not selling America to foreigners, not about terrorism. Must have missed that segue. For teh record, the Dutch have had sleeper cell operate there, and have a very large Muslim community. Japan and Korea have both had internal terrorism (remember the subway attack with Sarin gas?). I don't know that you could pick a country today that has not had some type of terrorism, whether external or internal. Clearly, not all people of the middle east are terrorist. You certainly can't be advocating that, can you?

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3