Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#974992 - 06/13/08 06:10 PM Stored value cards - prepaid phone cards
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
If we have a customer that is a small convenience store and they sell pre-paid phone cards on a rack at the cash register - are they to be considered an MSB? What if they sell gift cards to big retail stores (e.g. - Wal Mart, Toys-R-Us) - are they and MSB because of this? I'm a little confused about the whole stored value card concept.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#975377 - 06/14/08 02:09 PM Re: Stored value cards - prepaid phone cards AuditorK
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Selling pre-paid phone cards or gift cards does not make them an MSB.

Return to Top
#975513 - 06/16/08 01:05 PM Re: Stored value cards - prepaid phone cards MagicCity
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Subject to the dollar threshold, it may make them an MSB:

Quote:
(3) Issuer of traveler's checks, money orders, or stored value. An issuer of traveler's checks, money orders, or, stored value (other than a person who does not issue such checks or money orders or stored value in an amount greater than $1,000 in currency or monetary or other instruments to any person on any day in one or more transactions).

...but they are not required to register as an MSB.

Quote:
(a) Registration requirement--(1) In general. Except as provided in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, relating to agents, each money services business (whether or not licensed as a money services business by any State) must register with the Department of the Treasury and, as part of that registration, maintain a list of its agents as required by 31 U.S.C. 5330 and this section. This section does not apply to the United States Postal Service, to agencies of the United States, of any State, or of any political subdivision of a State, or to a person to the extent that the person is an issuer, seller, or redeemer of stored value.

Dunno why.

For the best discussion of stored value cards I know of, go to page 20 (document, not pdf) of the U.S. Money Laundering Threat Assessment. For those who don't understand the risks perceived in MSBs generally, read the entire section.

Return to Top
#975563 - 06/16/08 01:36 PM Re: Stored value cards - prepaid phone cards Elwood P. Dowd
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
In all reality, are there any convenience stores or gas stations that wouldn't be considered an MSB in today's world? How do we know or monitor if the customer participates in any of this activity for one person in amounts greater than $1,000 per day? They may tell us that they can't remember ever selling phone cards to any one person for that much in one day, but they can't say for sure that it won't or hasn't happened.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z