Thread Options
#977612 - 06/18/08 07:48 PM Obama quote
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Notable & Quotable
June 18, 2008
Barack Obama speaking at a campaign event in Ohio, June 12:

I also believe that part of how to keep us safe is making sure that we use our military wisely and we don't just rely on our military. And I think the war in Iraq was unwise. So much of the antagonism towards the United States right now has to do with the Iraq invasion. . . . So I think we have to end the war in Iraq. . . . And we have to initiate diplomacy. And we have to talk to countries we don't like, and John McCain and I have had an argument about this. He says, "Oh, that's naive. Obama wants to go sit down with Ahmadinejad and the leaders of Iran."

I don't want to just sit there and have tea with them. What I want to do is to explain: Here's the position of the United States. We want you to stop threatening Israel. We want you to stop building nuclear weapons. We want you to stop funding terrorists. And if you do those things, we'll give you incentives and help you with your economy. And if you continue to do them, we will sanction you.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121374723421282655.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries

Now I understand. It is simple. Because we don't negotiate with them, the Iranian govt. doesn't know that the US govt. wants them to stop threatening Israel, stop enriching uranium and stop funding terrorists.

We just have to sit down and tell them this because they don't currently know that and all of these issues will be solved.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am voting for Obama. If he can figure this out while no one else can, he deserves my vote.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#977623 - 06/18/08 07:57 PM Re: Obama quote straw
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I thought we'd made it quite clear we wanted them to stop enriching uranium, stop funding terrorists, and stop threatening Israel WITHOUT Ahmadinejad getting to sit down with our President.

Return to Top
#977634 - 06/18/08 08:06 PM Re: Obama quote B_F
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Yes, but not with the power of Hope and Change backing us up.

Return to Top
#977639 - 06/18/08 08:14 PM Re: Obama quote Blade Scrapper
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Frankly, the only "change" I see coming should Obama managed to get elected, is in my paycheck. I expect dollars to turn to cents as he raises taxes on those making more than minimum wage, and gives to those who aren't working, provides health care for everyone, and invests all our hard earned wages into alternative energy source research while ordering that all currently used energy sources be outlawed.

Return to Top
#977642 - 06/18/08 08:21 PM Re: Obama quote B_F
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
You silly bunch of conservative right wing whackos---> do you not see that Obama will use his unique and well-documented ability to articulate well, and the result will be that Achmadineyabadabadoo will feel, like Chris Matthews, a neat sensation running up his leg?

Get real already, his speaking ability and extensive experience will win the day with Iran. sheesh

Return to Top
#977646 - 06/18/08 08:29 PM Re: Obama quote TheManofSteel
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Is this a case of if you can't do anything concrete, baffle them with bull?

Return to Top
#977650 - 06/18/08 08:33 PM Re: Obama quote B_F
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Is this a case of if you can't do anything concrete, baffle them with bullRonisms?

Fixed.

Return to Top
#977656 - 06/18/08 08:42 PM Re: Obama quote TheManofSteel
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Funny, no one has come out to defend their idiot?

Return to Top
#977661 - 06/18/08 08:48 PM Re: Obama quote Sound Tactic
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
That Obama just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It's so unfortunate you big, bad conservatives take everything unpatriotic, naive, racial, and empty he says and make it seem like he is unpatriotic, naive, racial, and empty.

Return to Top
#977668 - 06/18/08 08:55 PM Re: Obama quote GuitarDude
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
VH-they are all in a huddle working on a "clarification statement"...give them a moment...

Return to Top
#977672 - 06/18/08 08:58 PM Re: Obama quote TB 12
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
it did get awfully quiet

Return to Top
#977682 - 06/18/08 09:06 PM Re: Obama quote B_F
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
I thought we'd made it quite clear we wanted them to stop enriching uranium, stop funding terrorists, and stop threatening Israel WITHOUT Ahmadinejad getting to sit down with our President.

Obviously not, since Obama says he needs to sit down and make it clear to them.

Return to Top
#977704 - 06/18/08 09:37 PM Re: Obama quote straw
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
Originally Posted By: straw

want you to stop funding terrorists. And if you do those things, we'll give you incentives and help you with your economy. And if you continue to do them, we will sanction you.

Now maybe I am just too young to get it...or maybe I'm too back woods...but we are one of the most powerful countries in the world...and the best 'punishment' we can offer is "we will sanction you"? That's like saying "wait until your father comes home". The bottom line is that "stop funding terrorists or we will send our very best...our very elite...and kick the living sh!t out of you...all before dinner."

You may now begin the bashing...

Return to Top
#977705 - 06/18/08 09:41 PM Re: Obama quote Lisa_Bates
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
nah the ones that would bash you are in a group think right now

Return to Top
#977903 - 06/19/08 01:32 PM Re: Obama quote kms
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Honestly, I think after we finish in Iraq, the next nation we decide to go to war with should be utterly defeated and left to clean up their own mess. If terrorists move in, we hit them again. And again. And again.

Return to Top
#977908 - 06/19/08 01:38 PM Re: Obama quote B_F
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
Let our soldiers be soldiers - not police, not ambassadors, not peacekeepers. Soldiers!

Return to Top