Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#978802 - 06/20/08 02:44 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? B_F
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
If teenagers were smart enough to make decisions on their own, why don't they reach the age of majority until 18?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#978804 - 06/20/08 02:46 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Hrothgar Geiger
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
To be fair, what you seem to be saying is that having sex with children under the legal age of consent would still be a crime for some age, not for others, maybe not for boys, maybe for girls, maybe not. And that perhaps the child's parents should send a thank you gift to the adult for providing such a valuable service.

No, that's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying the age of consent is wrong.

Return to Top
#978805 - 06/20/08 02:47 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Retired DQ
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
If teenagers were smart enough to make decisions on their own, why don't they reach the age of majority until 18?

Good question. Why can our youth go out and join the army at 18, but they can't order a beer for another 3 years?

Return to Top
#978815 - 06/20/08 02:54 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? DEL
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
It's amazing to see where we are as a nation. Coddled, even being told when to become an "adult." We've engineered our society so much, and so indoctrinated people that we've lost sight on the contributions of "children" in the past. Have you ever heard the story of the USA's first Admiral, David Farragut? Here's a little taste:

"David followed his adopted father to the sea at the tender age of eight and received his first naval appointment as midshipman at large at the age of nine and a half. At age eleven he saw his first combat and even commanded a vessel at age twelve!"

Ben Franklin ended formal school at age 10, and was a printer's apprentice at age 12.

I'm getting off the point of this thread, about the current crime that happened, but I don't buy the argument that younger people 12-18, don't have the judgment to make decisions. If people could do it 200 years ago with less technology and education, I'm sure the people of today could do much better. But do they? The more I read, the more I think our species is being dumbed down. Especially, after you read about people like Farrgut and Franklin.

Return to Top
#978818 - 06/20/08 02:57 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? FBH
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I agree with FBH. I was advanced for my age. I learned to walk when I was only 8! About that same time I stopped making doo doo and wee wee in my pants. I'm gifted.

Return to Top
#978827 - 06/20/08 03:01 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? FBH
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
BF,

I apologize. I became confused by your statements:
Quote:
I am of the opinion that at 13, our children must be ready to make their own decisions. At age 10, it's not ok. Is it ok for a female as much as a male? I don't know.

I would be glad to ask the parents of any 14 year old boy if they thought he was trying to get some from 14 year old girls, and then ask if they think it is better that when it happened, which if he wanted it was going to happen, if they would prefer he be with a young girl who would risk pregnancy, etc., or an older woman who I would hope was smart enough to take precautions against any unwanted issues.

Return to Top
#978839 - 06/20/08 03:05 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Peepers
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Inappropriate? yes. Rape? no. The boy knew what he was doing. In fact, one of the boys had a condom with him and the boy who had sex with Ms. Honeycutt went and got the condom from his friend and returned to have sex with her.

The other boy who went in the shower with her, well, she "gave him a hand" and then laid in the tub while he "gave himself a hand". Trying to avoid getting deleted here. Read the affidavits that are part of the link. He must have been completely uncomfortable and taken advantage of to do that twice in a row.

Return to Top
#978854 - 06/20/08 03:10 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Comp Guy No More
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
CompGuy,

Inappropriate? Yes. Rape? Yes. There's an actual law involved here, with words and sentences and definitions and everything. It actually means something.

Sheesh....

Return to Top
#978885 - 06/20/08 03:24 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? B_F
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen

Good question. Why can our youth go out and join the army at 18, but they can't order a beer for another 3 years?
Interesting question, though a little off topic. Some states are pushing legislation to lower the drinking age to 18 for US servicemen.

Return to Top
#978893 - 06/20/08 03:28 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Blade Scrapper
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
What I'm saying is that at age 13, these children are making (or at least should be making) an informed decision.

Good grief - have you ever actually met a 13-year old boy? They're about as capable of making responsible decisions as I am of making sense of your posts.

Originally Posted By: FBH
It's amazing to see where we are as a nation. Coddled, even being told when to become an "adult." We've engineered our society so much, and so indoctrinated people that we've lost sight on the contributions of "children" in the past. Have you ever heard the story of the USA's first Admiral, David Farragut? Here's a little taste:

"David followed his adopted father to the sea at the tender age of eight and received his first naval appointment as midshipman at large at the age of nine and a half. At age eleven he saw his first combat and even commanded a vessel at age twelve!"

Ah, the good ol' days. Hopefully David's father waited until David had matured to eight and a half before he purchased his first night with a hooker.

I can't believe that there are actually people arguing that sending children into combat or sex in the shower with the 38-year old nanny would be good ideas, or, at the least, things that shouldn't be a crime.

Return to Top
#978898 - 06/20/08 03:30 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Hrothgar Geiger
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i think the stat rape laws were made one size fits all so that we wouldn't have to weigh the dynamic individually especially with consideration between females and males under 18.

the great blue hen makes a great point about maturity. or put another way, it's not like something magical happens at 18.

just focusing on the male perspective, i am really struggling to find what harm these boys experienced. of course, a different set of facts might require a different conclusion.

Return to Top
#978918 - 06/20/08 03:38 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Jokerman
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Good grief - have you ever actually met a 13-year old boy? They're about as capable of making responsible decisions as I am of making sense of your posts.

The same could easily be said for most 18 year old boys. What's changed?

Return to Top
#978934 - 06/20/08 03:51 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? B_F
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I'm with BF & FBH on this one.

Return to Top
#978936 - 06/20/08 03:51 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? B_F
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
We seem to be split into a couple of camps...

Camp 1.
45 year old has sex with 14 year old = This a bad thing. The 45 year old should be charged with statutory rape.

Camp 2.

45 year old woman has sex with 14 year old boy = Woo Hoo! High fives all around.
45 year old man has sex with 14 year old girl = Grrrrr! Shotguns! Pitchforks! Torches!
45 year old man has sex with 14 year old boy = Grrrrr! I told you they needed to recruit! That boy is ruined now!
45 year old woman has sex with 14 year old girl = Oooh! Is that on Showtime? Can I DVR it?

Return to Top
#978938 - 06/20/08 03:52 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? B_F
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Originally Posted By: Jokerman

The same could easily be said for most 18 year old boys. What's changed?

That follows for many 50 year old men too!

Return to Top
#978940 - 06/20/08 03:52 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Blade Scrapper
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
SC, when i was stationed in AZ, the drinking age was 18 on base. They didn't want people heading to mexico to go drinking

Return to Top
#978963 - 06/20/08 04:00 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Hrothgar Geiger
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
camp 2 rocks! we beat up camp 1 and steal their gorp and arts and crafts supplies!

Return to Top
#978971 - 06/20/08 04:06 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? kms
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
Well I think the women involved in this were just plain stupid. Why in tarnation would a woman of that age want anything to do with a 15 year old no matter how mature the kid is?

Return to Top
#978997 - 06/20/08 04:24 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? yy2say
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
As a man, I would have loved to have this happen to me when I was 15, or right now for that matter, but as a father I'm thinking I would be pretty mad if this were my son. I'm thinking for these women to do this, there must be some mental issues going on, and I wouldn't want that kind of influence around my kids. Plus, having a daughter also, I can't help but think this might affect how these guys treat girls going forward.

Return to Top
#979009 - 06/20/08 04:27 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Hrothgar Geiger
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH

Camp 1.
45 year old has sex with 14 year old = This a bad thing. The 45 year old should be charged with statutory rape.

Camp 2.

45 year old woman has sex with 14 year old boy = Woo Hoo! High fives all around.
45 year old man has sex with 14 year old girl = Grrrrr! Shotguns! Pitchforks! Torches!
45 year old man has sex with 14 year old boy = Grrrrr! I told you they needed to recruit! That boy is ruined now!
45 year old woman has sex with 14 year old girl = Oooh! Is that on Showtime? Can I DVR it?

You forgot your camp, camp blow it out of proportion and pretend people said something they didn't.

I know I for one said I'm not sure about 14 year old girls. I've never been one, so I can't guess at what they are thinking. Heck, I can't even guess at what 18, 28, 38, 48, or 88 year old women are thinking. I have the wrong chromosomes.

And I don't remember homosexuality coming in anywhere until you brought it up either.

All I'm saying is that 18 is an arbitrary age, and I'm not sure it's right. Why is is license to drive at 16, license for sex at 18, and license to drink at 21? Either we are ready to be an adult at 16 or at 21. Myself, I think it is 13. Do young kids make mad choices? Yes. Why? Because people make bad choices at any age, AND we baby them and try to protect them from the real world instead of preparing them for it.

Return to Top
#979016 - 06/20/08 04:32 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? B_F
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Fine. I'm just not leaving any underage girls in your care.

Return to Top
#979017 - 06/20/08 04:33 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Hrothgar Geiger
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman

Camp 1.

Camp 2.

sigh. Do you always have to make a farce out of the other guy's position? I'm in camp 1, but camp 2 isn't saying what you say they are.

Return to Top
#979019 - 06/20/08 04:33 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? Hrothgar Geiger
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
BOL Paradox of the Day

BF: Liberal Position
AMLB: Conservative Position

Return to Top
#979024 - 06/20/08 04:37 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
I'm in camp 1

you'd better believe that your gorp is the first that i go for!

Return to Top
#979027 - 06/20/08 04:38 PM Re: QB, Coed Sleepover? B_F
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Well, FBH and BF, consider that we live MUCH longer than they did in Farragut and Franklin's day. They had to grow up much faster - they didn't have as much time as we do today. Our Children have 60 years or more of adult decisions and living with the consequences. Let them have their childhood unencumbered with unnecessary complications and enticements. We can prepare our kids for adulthood and for making sound decisions without throwing them into situations that prey on their feelings instead of their brain/conscience/morals.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3