Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#977992 - 06/19/08 02:36 PM Probably need to get rid of my cat
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I think it might be time to get rid of one of my cats....

Just for a little background, my fiance and I have two cats, a boy and a girl.

I've written about the boy before - problems with him biting people. We took him to the vet about two months ago, and it was very tramatic. The cat was biting everybody, and the Vet was barely able to give him his shots. The vet said he would not care for him in the future, that he was too much of a liability to the staff. He talked to us about how he is at home (he's not that bad, but he would try to bite visitors sometimes). He has never broken skin, but he does bite hard.

Well, the vet had a strong recommendation. We told him that we would be trying to start a family in about a year, and he told us that we could definitely not have the cat around when my fiance is pregnant (something about only being able to take antibiotics once while prego). The vet even went as far to say that the cat is really a liability to anybody, and giving him away will push the problem to another family, and talked to us about possibly putting him down (that there is something 'just not right' with the cat).

Well, that was tramatic for the both of us. The cat is a pain, but putting him down is just terrible. We do know that we'll have to get rid of him in a year when we decide to start having kids. Since the vet visit though, the cat has seemed calmer (I think he understood). He would still bite (usually when just playing), but not nearly as much.

Now, we have another problem on top of that. The cat has decided to stop using his litter box, and instead uses the entire basement. It's like it's almost every day that there is some kind of mess in the basement (and it has been both kinds of messes). It's been going on since before I left for vacation (end of May). It's getting a lot to handle, with our basement getting ruined (it was a finished basement), and knowing about the biting problems.

I think it will be time for us to give him up. I hate to do it, I feel aweful. He can be really good at times (for short amounts of time), and could probably be ok again with someone single that does not have other pets. I do not want him to go to a shelter and have them end up putting him down. I can't find anyone else that could take him. I feel so bad when I see him everyday....

Return to Top
#978016 - 06/19/08 02:49 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Skunk Boy
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Research your area for "no kill" shelters and be very open and honest with them about the problems the cat is having. You can also check with a national organization called Best Friends in Utah. They deal with "problem" animals at their shelter and may have some suggestions for you.

I have a couple of "problem" cats and I know what you are going through. I rescued them from bad situations and I know they have baggage, but sometimes you just get tired of dealing with all of the shenanigans.

Hang in there. There is an answer outside of euthanasia. I trust you will make the effort to look for it. If you didn't care the cat would be dead already and you would never have posted this message.

Return to Top
#978035 - 06/19/08 03:01 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat MichelleDawn
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Skunk, Where are you living now? I can probably help you find him a home.

A few questions:

Is he altered?
How old is he?
Declawed or not?
Do you have a photo?

Return to Top
#978296 - 06/19/08 05:51 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Skunk Boy
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
It's probably not easy with an aggresive animal, but has he been thoroughly checked out by a vet? Cats start going outside the litter box when they're trying to tell you there's a problem. Years ago I had a cat that took to peeing on plastic bangs and storage stuff. Just as long as it was plastic. Turned out to be a nasty kidney infection.

Whether it's a physical problem or a psychological one, not using the litter box is a typical red flag from a cat. You moved recently, didn't you? The cat may be freaking out or have actually gotten sick. Check around for a vet that will be willing to help you figure this out before you give up on your buddy.

Return to Top
#978352 - 06/19/08 06:13 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Truffle Royale
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10

Return to Top
#978762 - 06/20/08 01:59 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Retired DQ
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Thanks Bengalfan, I'll PM you. (I was out all day yesterday)

We really can't take him to the vet he saw last, that vet won't see him (cause of the biting). When he was there a few months ago, he was physically ok. It makes me think that everything is pyschological, specially since he had the biting problem for so long.

We did find a shelter in town that is guaranteed 100% non-kill (we know someone that works there). Although I'd really like to just find a person to give him a good home.

Return to Top
#978789 - 06/20/08 02:38 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Skunk Boy
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
BTW, happy birthday.

Return to Top
#978790 - 06/20/08 02:38 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Skunk Boy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
SB,

Talk to the shelter, and ask if they list their animals on a website or do fostering. Then, see if they can list him for you, and offer to foster him until you find a home for him.

It sounds like he has issues with too many people.

Return to Top
#980324 - 06/23/08 08:18 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat B_F
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
If you want to look into different drugs that might help. There are some out there that can help like they do for people. I would rather give the cat/dog a drug instead of putting them down if the drug does not have side effects.

Return to Top
#980397 - 06/23/08 09:46 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat KAT
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Make him an outdoor cat? You should know preggo women cannot take care of a litter box.

Return to Top
#980430 - 06/23/08 11:09 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Dip
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
we have the cutest little litter of feral cats (3), now about 8 weeks old - we were able, with the feral cat society's help, catch the mother and she is now back in the neighborhood with her tubes tied -

but domesticating the kittens and finding them homes is getting wearisome - we are allergic to cats and they need to go, but this is the season for litters and there are so many ready for adoption

they sure are cute ----

I hope you find a solution Skunk!!

Return to Top
#980705 - 06/24/08 02:07 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Pale Rider
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
He's gone. We brought him to the shelter that our friend works at on Friday (yeah, on my birthday). My fiance was at home and the cat had a bad episode - he started peeing on the couch WHILE my fiance was downstairs. She went right away to start cleaning up, and he then tried to jump at her and bite her. It was just too much, so her and friend brought him the same day.

We feel really bad, but didn't know what else to do. It's not like he was ever really a normal cat, we always knew he was a problem. Hopefully he'll find a new home soon - i think it could work out if he's in a house with no kids and no other pets.

Return to Top
#980917 - 06/24/08 03:46 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Skunk Boy
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA

Return to Top
#982196 - 06/25/08 06:56 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Dip
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I don't think those links are really appropriate for this situation.

Return to Top
#982241 - 06/25/08 07:19 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat MichelleDawn
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
OK.

Return to Top
#983084 - 06/26/08 05:56 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Dip
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I came to the thread too late to help, but for anyone else who may ever experience a problem with "going outside the box" cats, try "Cat Attract" litter, readily available at PetSmart or any other national chain pet supply store. This stuff works! My cat went through a horrible phase of always going outside the box. We had her thoroughly checked out by a vet, got her on some medication for a pancreas problem, but the bathroom problems still happened. I read on the internet in desperation and have started using Cat Attract litter. She hasn't gone outside the box a single time since we started using it.

It has some kind of organic pheromones or something which make the cat want to use the litter. I'm not easily taken in by gimmicks, so I was skeptical of trying this stuff, and it is quite a bit more expensive than normal litter. However, I would recommend this stuff to anyone. It genuinely works, and is worth its weight in gold. Now that it's been many months without an accident, we've started mixing Cat Attract Litter with regular litter, about half and half (to save money), and it works just as well.

SB, I'm happy that you found a no-kill shelter for your cat.

Return to Top
#983205 - 06/26/08 07:08 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat BurntSienna
Peepers Offline
10K Club
That's interesting about the cat litter.

I hope that SB's cat finds a good home.

I have a kitty problem (well, not really, it's more like a smart ass statement, but then what does everyone expect from me).

We have two cats (which is about three too many). The fat lazy one just doesn't seem to cover its stuff in the litter box. The faster, slimmer (yet dummer) one covers it up for her. Is this cat some kind of equivelant to a sucker fish in a fish tank, always there to keep things clean?

Return to Top
#983237 - 06/26/08 07:26 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Peepers
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Peeps, I have the same issue with one of my cats, she never covers up but her brother will do it for her. I think she just doesn't want to get herself dirty, she is so prissy. He tries to cover up all kinds of things.

SB, sorry to hear you had to get rid of the cat but you probably did the best thing for all of you.

Return to Top
#983248 - 06/26/08 07:29 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat CRAatBOK
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
When Puka (dog) was using a litter box, my cat would bury her stuff for her for the first week or so, then he gave up

Return to Top
#983495 - 06/26/08 11:01 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat MichelleDawn
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Originally Posted By: MichelleDawn
I don't think those links are really appropriate for this situation.

I don't even like cats and agree with this statement...wowsa

Return to Top
#983500 - 06/26/08 11:07 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Mrs. Rizzo
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
OMG, it's not like SB had to put his cat down. He didn't want to deal his problem cat any more, so he gave it away-- HIS CHOICE.

Based on the description of his cat, it fit the little cartoons. Nothing wrong in bringing that to light.

It's not like his cat got hit by a truck and I'm posting pics of cat road kill. If you want to get all upset over someone's posts, go knock yourselves out in one of the political threads

Return to Top
#983513 - 06/26/08 11:21 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Dip
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Dip, pumpkin...SB was obviously upset about having to give his pet up regardless of it's behavior. Having a pet yourself, I'm sure you can relate and would not like someone making light of your situation.

Return to Top
#983840 - 06/27/08 02:47 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Mrs. Rizzo
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Dip, as usual, inappropriate.

Return to Top
#984083 - 06/27/08 05:01 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat #Just Jay
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
If you've ever owned a difficult animal, you'd understand that there really isn't much choice involved.

It's a very tough situation and the only choice is where to take the animal so they aren't harmed or killed.

Return to Top
#987911 - 07/03/08 06:36 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Sing A Little
smoothsailing Offline
Ok, here is my "experienced" opion. reading your situation reminds me of exactly what I went through about 4 years ago. My wife and I had a cat, and the cat was perfectly normal around us and very loving. It suddenly changed and would start attacking people that came to the house. Family and friends were scared of the cat, even though it showed nothing but love to us.
Then it starting peeing on everything, which as you know, you can't really get rid of that smell. The cat got out of hand to the point where something had to be done.

I was so attached to this cat b/c it acted like I was it's mother, but hated everyone else. Then we had a baby and although it never tried to hurt the child, the cat started urinating in our bed after my wife would get up from nursing the baby.

that was it. the last straw. As painful as it was, and as much as I actually cried all the way down there, I drove it to the pound and basically gave the cat to them and told them what was wrong with him. They said chances are good he would be put down b/c no family would want him.

It was hard, but looking back on it, the best thing I did. No way would I continue to let him ruin the house and cause harm to others.

Just get rid of the cat. It is hard for a while, but you will look back and realize you did right.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett