Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#982321 - 06/25/08 08:13 PM Balloon Maturities/Call Reports
02bonne Offline
Platinum Poster

If you have a balloon that matures and the customer keeps making payments under the balloon note terms, assuming the note doesn't get renewed timely, does this need to be classified as past due on the Call Report? I looked everywhere and couldn't find discussion of this circumstance, even on the call report instructions. Thanks,

Return to Top
General Discussion
#982343 - 06/25/08 08:29 PM Re: Balloon Maturities/Call Reports 02bonne
Ray_ Offline
Platinum Poster
Dallas, TX
If the balloon was due and not paid in full or renewed it is past due.

Return to Top
#982396 - 06/25/08 09:14 PM Re: Balloon Maturities/Call Reports Ray_
02bonne Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks, is there any document that explicitly states that? Or is it just implicit from the definitions on the call report instructions?

Return to Top
#982434 - 06/25/08 10:08 PM Re: Balloon Maturities/Call Reports 02bonne
Ray_ Offline
Platinum Poster
Dallas, TX
Not that I know of. I based my answer strictly on the terms of the note.

Return to Top
#982476 - 06/25/08 11:00 PM Re: Balloon Maturities/Call Reports Ray_
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
From the Call Report instructions -- Schedule RC-N --

"The past due status of a loan or other asset should be determined in accordance with its contractual repayment terms."

In the example, the balloon payment is past due.

Return to Top
#982488 - 06/25/08 11:19 PM Re: Balloon Maturities/Call Reports califgirl
Ray_ Offline
Platinum Poster
Dallas, TX
Yeah, there ya go! =]

Return to Top
#982732 - 06/26/08 02:16 PM Re: Balloon Maturities/Call Reports Ray_
02bonne Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks for the responses! I did read what Califgirl cited and came to the same conclusion after reading it. However, I came across this yesterday from the TFR Q&A. I take this to mean that as long as the bank keeps accepting payments under the terms of the matured note, the loan can be excluded from being classified as past due. While this pertains to a construction loan, I would assume this would extend to a non-construction balloon note maturity also. Am I reading this correctly?

http://www.ots.treas.gov/docs/8/87000.html#q179

Q&A No. 179
SUBJECT: Loans Past Maturity
LINE(S): Schedule PD
DATE: September 5, 2002
Question: We have a portfolio of construction loans that require interest-only payments due monthly with the principal due at maturity. Some of these loans are past their maturity date. The borrowers have continued to pay the contractual monthly interest payments. Should these loans be excluded from Schedule PD?

Answer: If management has restructured or extended a loan -formally or informally, then the loan would not be past due. An informal extension (not the same as a restructuring) is when the bank has agreed to accept interest payments until the property is rented or sold. The extension should be for a limited and reasonable length of time and the bank should get the extension in writing. From the borrower's perspective, if he is doing what the bank has told him, the loan is not in default and does not have to be reported in Schedule PD.

Return to Top
#982980 - 06/26/08 04:46 PM Re: Balloon Maturities/Call Reports 02bonne
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Yikes. Yes, looks like you are reading it correctly.

I am not at all familiar with OTS or savings banks. I do not believe this would be acceptable for a commercial bank call report.

Do you have a contact at OTS? If so, you could always call for clarification.

Return to Top