Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#98680 - 07/18/03 04:55 PM Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
How many BOLers are using Adobe Acrobat (the full product, not just the reader) and what kinds of solutions are you producing? I've been playing with fill-in forms and javascript powered forms and am very impressed with some of the newer features.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#98681 - 07/18/03 05:01 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
We use the full acrobat product. Of course, we use it for delivering policies and procedures, converting pdf files, etc. We have just started with fill in forms, etc. (I use it at home also!)
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#98682 - 07/18/03 05:02 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
I have just started using Adobe Acrobat, primarily to produce and distribute clean, combined report packages when the source documents are in numerous different formats.

I haven't had the opportunity to research other uses, but am interested in doing so.

Return to Top
#98683 - 07/18/03 05:06 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
111 Offline
Gold Star
We don't use it, but I've been curious as to why it would be useful for a long time. Of course, we all use the Reader as ITI publishes system manuals in the format. Our staff has a difficult time with MS Word and Excel, so I would not want to add another product unless it really would lead to a higher level of productivity in an important area.

Return to Top
#98684 - 07/18/03 05:45 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I use it much as kaybee described. I went to the full version when, as Webmaster, I was posting downloadable policies and procedures.

As to why it is used, it provides a similar viewing experience for all readers and is a simple method to protect it against erroneous changes by most readers/users.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#98685 - 07/18/03 05:55 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
How about using Acrobat docs with forms that gather or display data housed in databases on your systems?

Return to Top
#98686 - 07/18/03 07:01 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
I use Adobe for our User's Manual. It's just a Word document that I convert to pdf. All the bookmarks make it really easy to find information. That is, if the people would even read it, which they don't. But that's another story.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a question about Adobe Acrobat. How do you do the fill-in forms thing? I have a bunch of forms that I don't want anyone to modify and it sounds like this would be perfect.

Thanks for your help!

Return to Top
#98687 - 07/18/03 07:26 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
One other nice feature of documents delivered as pdf is the search feature. Combined with the "inability to make changes" it is ideal for policies and procedures. We had people sending out "locked" word documents and everytime you clicked on anything you were back to page 1. I finally sent an email and told them that for about $350 they could have adobe. They bought the software.

I also use it convert entire OCC books to rtf files so I can more easily incorporate into my work papers.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#98688 - 07/18/03 07:32 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Sounds like us. I spent 3 months writing a comprehensive IRA Desk Manual. Conveted it to a pdf file and posted it on our intranet. Had links between sections so they could jump to the info the needed and sample forms.

The most anyone did was print out all 340 pages - even though we specifically asked them NOT to. Nobody ever goes there to look things up; they just call me for the answers. <sigh>

To set up a fill-in form, create the document like you normally would (in Word or whatever), convert it to a pdf file, then use the "forms tool" to create the boxes where people will type. You can put text boxes, check boxes, radio buttons, drop-down lists, and all kinds of stuff. Have fun!

Return to Top
#98689 - 07/18/03 07:33 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
croak44- In version 4 and above you use the forms tool to paste form fields onto documents after they are in Acrobat format. There's quite a bit of discussion in the Acrobat help section about working with forms and a few books have been published on the subject.

Return to Top
#98690 - 07/18/03 07:42 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
ABirkla Offline
100 Club
ABirkla
We used it to create a policy and procedure page. It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to draft, revise and finalize those procedures. We did not want our employees to be able to print these procedures for fear they would refer to the written copy which at times may be outdated due to making revisions on the adobe file. Adobe has an option that prevents users from printing documents.

Return to Top
#98691 - 07/18/03 07:43 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
Thanks Richard. I only have version 3.1 so that explains why I haven't been able to do that. I think I'll have to requisition a newer version!

Return to Top
#98692 - 07/18/03 09:32 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
CarlD Offline
100 Club
CarlD
Acrobat avoids all of the foibles and follies inherent in Word or Excel.

I often use it in the Printer mode - Acrobat PDF Writer looks like a printer but outputs to a pdf file.

Some advantages are
1) recipients are less worried that the document might harbor a virus,
2) the document is not easily modified. Acrobat solved a problem I used to have with Word files that automatically update the date fields. And
3) they maintain the desired print size. Many jpgs and bitmaps will errantly print over multiple pages, but print correctly from Acrobat.

Return to Top
#98693 - 07/18/03 10:20 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
111 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

Acrobat avoids all of the foibles and follies inherent in Word or Excel.

CarlD: You are not saying the Acrobat can replace MS Word and Excel in a bank work environment, are you? Is it logical that one would use Word and Excel and convert those files to Acrobat files for some reason. MS Word and Excel have protection (passwords and to protect against changes), so I'm just not getting why Acrobat should be considered, but realize that a lot of people are using the product - I'm probably behind the curve of this.

Return to Top
#98694 - 07/19/03 12:35 AM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
"pdf" stands for Portable Document File - was developed way back when, when not everyone had Word and / or Excel, and might not be able to open .doc or .xls files. Since the Acrobat reader to view the .pdf files was free, "anyone" could open them for viewing.

While Word and Excel are more widely used now, there are still some people who might not have them.

Acrobat won't ever replace Word and Excel, since Acrobat itself can't be used to create the original document. (Or, I should say I haven't been able to figure out how to make a new document if there is a way, but I'm nowhere near an expert...) But it's a clean way to make documents available without worrying that someone's going to change a key phrase.

I occasionally get feedback from our web dudes, however, that they prefer large files posted on our intranet to be in html, instead of pdf. The pdf files are HUGE, and they'd rather have them in nicely compact html files. Unfortunately, hardly anyone but them knows how to write code...

Return to Top
#98695 - 07/19/03 02:29 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Quote:

Adobe has an option that prevents users from printing documents.

This feature will save trees, but doesn't it create problems for your employees who may need to grab small sections of a procedure and print a page or two for reference while they handle an unfamiliar activity?

Return to Top
#98696 - 07/21/03 12:30 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Kash Offline
New Poster
Kash
West Virginia
The search capability is fantastic. We have developed a Compliance Resource Center on our intranet that is accessible to all our employees. All 20,000 pages are in adobe format. Every employee who has installed the Adobe Reader search feature can run a search on the whole database within seconds.

Also, when an employee has a compliance question, we email them the direct link to the exact spot in our resource center that contains the answer. It sure has made life easier.

Return to Top
#98697 - 07/21/03 03:47 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Quote:

All 20,000 pages are in adobe format.

Wow! What kinds of resources do you include & how many FTEs does it take to maintain this knowledge base?

Return to Top
#98698 - 07/21/03 04:34 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
CarlD Offline
100 Club
CarlD
In reply to:
I occasionally get feedback from our web dudes, however, that they prefer large files posted on our intranet to be in html, instead of pdf.

In Word, you can Save As - HTML format. When you view the saved file in your browser, it invariably has misplaced/misaligned elements.

It would take a separate preparation stage to clean up the format with an HTML editor.

Acrobat keeps everything in its correct perspective and placement, just like sending the document to a printer.

Occassionally, it will substitute a generic font for a unique font used by Word. If that matters, you should use the more advanced product called Acrobat Distiller.

Return to Top
#98699 - 07/21/03 04:56 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Word just has to be the poorest choice for creating html files.

Return to Top
#98700 - 07/21/03 05:01 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Quote:

Acrobat won't ever replace Word and Excel, since Acrobat itself can't be used to create the original document. (Or, I should say I haven't been able to figure out how to make a new document if there is a way, but I'm nowhere near an expert...) But it's a clean way to make documents available without worrying that someone's going to change a key phrase.

If you have the full version not just the reader, you can set your default printer to " Acrobat Distiller" and anything you print will be in .PDF format

Return to Top
#98701 - 07/21/03 05:04 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
There are also options for optimizing output for print or screen. I haven't quite figured them out, but there's quite a difference in file size. Maybe some experienced users can explain it?

Return to Top
#98702 - 07/21/03 05:06 PM Re: Tools of the trade: Adobe Acrobat
CarlD Offline
100 Club
CarlD
In response to
Adobe has an option that prevents users from printing documents -

Acrobat security is easily cracked. It only slows down the honest folk. A Google search for "pdf password recovery" will illustrate the point.

Return to Top