Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#987191 - 07/02/08 10:27 PM 3 cheers for the new GI bill???
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I just don't understand why there hasn't been a windfall of "hip hip hoorays" for the new GI Bill. I vividly remember a certain group of posters slamming Bush as anti-military when he threatened to veto it the first time around. Now that he has signed it into law, where is the praise?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#987199 - 07/02/08 10:44 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? HappyGilmore
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
He can only do bad, no good! Anything good that happens is a coincidence.

Return to Top
#987207 - 07/02/08 10:59 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? GuitarDude
buggs Offline
Power Poster
The folks around here are actually pretty nice to GWB compared to another forum I particiapte in. Over there I've actually been seriously accused of being a murderer because I try to gently point out other ways of viewing things when they are obviously way over the line in their accusations of GWB. However, that's to be expected because I think most of them are regulars over at Daily Kos.

I've actually been accused of being an idiot by one poster because I dared suggest that Kim Il Sung (and what he has done to North Korea) is worse than what GWB has done.

It's a strange world out there, folks.

Return to Top
#987215 - 07/02/08 11:26 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? buggs
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Happy,

Thanks for pointing out that Pres. Bush signed Webb's GI Bill update. I was unaware that he'd signed it into law.

It was the right thing to do, and I'm glad he did it.

Return to Top
#987220 - 07/02/08 11:46 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? Hrothgar Geiger
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
It was the right thing to do and it isn't often Bush will change his mind like that.

On the other hand, at the bill signing Bush said:

"I want to thank members who worked hard for the GI Bill expansion ó especially Senators Webb and Warner, Graham, Burr, and McCain. This bill shows the American people that even in an election year, Republicans and Democrats can come together to stand behind our troops and their families."

Interesting. Of the five senators McCain fought against the bill and then didnít vote on it. Two (Graham and Burr) fought against the bill and voted against it. Republican Chuck Hagel, who was an original sponsor of the bill, was ignored.

Return to Top
#987221 - 07/02/08 11:48 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? Yossarian
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
You can't believe anythign Bush says anyway. In fact, I bet he didn't sign his signature to the bill.

Return to Top
#987222 - 07/02/08 11:48 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? Yossarian
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Yossarian,
I know, I found that puzzling, too. But, at least, Shrub signed it.

Maybe that's his version of bi-partisanship, you thank people who voted against the bill, and people who didn't vote on it at all...
Last edited by AML-Barbarian; 07/02/08 11:52 PM.
Return to Top
#987223 - 07/02/08 11:51 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? straw
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: straw
You can't believe anythign Bush says anyway. In fact, I bet he didn't sign his signature to the bill.

You know, now that I think about it, the signature did seem to say "Bob Barker".

Return to Top
#987224 - 07/02/08 11:53 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? straw
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: straw

It was disappearing ink.

Return to Top
#987266 - 07/03/08 03:29 AM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? GuitarDude
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I love this, I never had any intention of leaving the AF until they made me, so I assumed I would just get my education while serving, and I did get quite a bit, but I never elected to take the GI bill, so now I have a chance to go back to school and be like my hero...

Return to Top
#987367 - 07/03/08 01:20 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? kms
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
now I have a chance to go back to school and be like my hero...

awww thank you! you have a weird way of showing it sometimes.

Quote:
Interesting. Of the five senators McCain fought against the bill and then didnít vote on it. Two (Graham and Burr) fought against the bill and voted against it. Republican Chuck Hagel, who was an original sponsor of the bill, was ignored.

classic.

Return to Top
#987404 - 07/03/08 01:35 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? Yossarian
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
It was the right thing to do and it isn't often Bush will change his mind like that.

On the other hand, at the bill signing Bush said:

"I want to thank members who worked hard for the GI Bill expansion ó especially Senators Webb and Warner, Graham, Burr, and McCain. This bill shows the American people that even in an election year, Republicans and Democrats can come together to stand behind our troops and their families."

Someone who votes against a bill, and argues against certain points of it can actually be more effective in shaping the bill than someone who simply vote for or against a bill.

Were you there? Do you know how many changes were made from the initial actions based on those who stood against the original bill in comparison to the current law? No, you were not, so stuff it.

Return to Top
#987409 - 07/03/08 01:39 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? B_F
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Someone who votes against a bill, and argues against certain points of it can actually be more effective in shaping the bill than someone who simply vote for or against a bill.

BEST QUOTE EVER!!!

(mikey, you really put that one on a tee for me.

Return to Top
#987474 - 07/03/08 02:25 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? B_F
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:

You conveniently omit the fact that the statement was that Bush wanted to "thank members who worked hard for the GI Bill expansion". You could oppose certain parts of it and work to change them, but voting AGAINST the final bill means you opposed the expansion.

Return to Top
#987500 - 07/03/08 02:34 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? Yossarian
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
You know this bill was tied into war funding, and relief for the midwest and extension of unemployment benefits, so I could see people being against somthing in the bill, especially the war funding, but Bush got what he wanted out of it so he gave in on the stuff he believed shouldn't have been in this bill

Return to Top
#987509 - 07/03/08 02:40 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? kms
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
sorry kms, only the voting record counts.

Return to Top
#987536 - 07/03/08 02:50 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? Hated By Some
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
well no matter who voted for what, I am happy that it passed in many ways.

Return to Top
#987553 - 07/03/08 02:57 PM Re: 3 cheers for the new GI bill??? Hated By Some
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Ronzilla
sorry kms, only the voting record counts.

Nice segue, lol, and it's good to see you're still clinging on to your beliefs, no matter what.

Yes, a person's voting record counts, especially over time.

Do you not agree that a consistency of a person's ideas will be identified by their voting record over a period of time?

IMO, of course aberrations occur in the short term, but over an extended period of time one's voting record will evidence their beliefs.

Return to Top