Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#987912 - 07/03/08 06:37 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Sing A Little
smoothsailing Offline
Ok, here is my "experienced" opion. reading your situation reminds me of exactly what I went through about 4 years ago. My wife and I had a cat, and the cat was perfectly normal around us and very loving. It suddenly changed and would start attacking people that came to the house. Family and friends were scared of the cat, even though it showed nothing but love to us.
Then it starting peeing on everything, which as you know, you can't really get rid of that smell. The cat got out of hand to the point where something had to be done.

I was so attached to this cat b/c it acted like I was it's mother, but hated everyone else. Then we had a baby and although it never tried to hurt the child, the cat started urinating in our bed after my wife would get up from nursing the baby.

that was it. the last straw. As painful as it was, and as much as I actually cried all the way down there, I drove it to the pound and basically gave the cat to them and told them what was wrong with him. They said chances are good he would be put down b/c no family would want him.

It was hard, but looking back on it, the best thing I did. No way would I continue to let him ruin the house and cause harm to others.

Just get rid of the cat. It is hard for a while, but you will look back and realize you did right.

Return to Top
#987913 - 07/03/08 06:37 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Sing A Little
smoothsailing Offline
Ok, here is my "experienced" opion. reading your situation reminds me of exactly what I went through about 4 years ago. My wife and I had a cat, and the cat was perfectly normal around us and very loving. It suddenly changed and would start attacking people that came to the house. Family and friends were scared of the cat, even though it showed nothing but love to us.
Then it starting peeing on everything, which as you know, you can't really get rid of that smell. The cat got out of hand to the point where something had to be done.

I was so attached to this cat b/c it acted like I was it's mother, but hated everyone else. Then we had a baby and although it never tried to hurt the child, the cat started urinating in our bed after my wife would get up from nursing the baby.

that was it. the last straw. As painful as it was, and as much as I actually cried all the way down there, I drove it to the pound and basically gave the cat to them and told them what was wrong with him. They said chances are good he would be put down b/c no family would want him.

It was hard, but looking back on it, the best thing I did. No way would I continue to let him ruin the house and cause harm to others.

Just get rid of the cat. It is hard for a while, but you will look back and realize you did right.

Return to Top
#988203 - 07/05/08 02:45 AM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat smoothsailing
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I have to disagree. You can make sure the cat goes to a no-kill shelter so it isn't put down. The cat may have been fine in another home without children.

Return to Top
#988208 - 07/05/08 02:58 AM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat MichelleDawn
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
I have to disagree md... If the cat was attacking everyone besides it's owners and peeing all over everything, it is not going to be "fine" somewhere else..

Return to Top
#988218 - 07/05/08 05:15 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Blessed
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I work at a shelter and there are options. Many of these cats need to be worked with. Additionally, there are refuges like Best Friends in Utah that will keep "problem cats" for life in a special sanctuary. There are options other than putting the cat down.

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
Last edited by MichelleDawn; 07/05/08 05:50 PM.

Return to Top
#988228 - 07/06/08 01:16 AM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat MichelleDawn
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
Michelle dawn... The no-kill part wasn't the thing I was disagreeing with, it was the "fine in another home without children" part.

Return to Top
#988244 - 07/06/08 07:31 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Blessed
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Some CAN be. There are cats who just need to be "behaviorally reprogrammed" and then placed into a different home situation. I have six cats and work in an animal shelter; I've seen it. Additionally, my post said the cat "may" have been fine in a home without children. My whole point is that we need to stop thinking of death as the first option. Other options exist. Pets aren't disposable.

Return to Top
#988875 - 07/07/08 05:29 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Blessed
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Audit_gal
Michelle dawn... The no-kill part wasn't the thing I was disagreeing with, it was the "fine in another home without children" part.

Very few animals cannot be put into a home and live a normal adjusted life. ESPECIALLY ones who were fine until something in the household changed prior to their attitude change.

I've had cats, dogs, and birds that I was told were all incorrigible, mean, and would never be adjusted to another home. I've had ONE that I was not able to find a way to put into a healthy environment and rehabilitate. ONE out of close to 100 animals I've worked at rescuing. I find it lazy and insulting for anyone to say that an animal cannot be rehabilitated. In nearly every case where you have an animal that is mean or problematic in the home, the reasons for these problems are caused by the people who live in the home or a medical condition, and not just the animal becoming mean. I've dealt with animals that were beaten, who have had pipes shoved down their throats to prevent them from barking, who have been shaved completely and burnt, who have been very aggressive and bitten people, and frankly, all you need to do is address the medical issues, teach the animal to trust and respect you, and lead them to following your lead, and you can rehabilitate them. Is it easy? No. But to say it can't be done? LAZY and FALSE.

Return to Top
#988968 - 07/07/08 06:14 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat B_F
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
If you read the story on-line today about Michael Vick's former fighting pitbulls, you (now this is a collective 'YOU', I'm not stating this to anyone in particular) can see that Michael is correct.

I can also vouch for our greyhound. I don't think Attitude ever had a malicious bone in his body, but he has cigarette burns on his stomach where he was trained to quickly come out of the box at the beginning of a race, and he is missing 1/2 an ear. Of that we have no idea what happened. He has the most amazing personality and just wants to be loved and give love in return.

Return to Top
#989468 - 07/08/08 01:57 PM Re: Probably need to get rid of my cat Skittles
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I adopted a beautiful little cat who was 3 months old from the ASPCA. When I took her to the vet for the first time, he told be she was probably "thrown away" because she looked as if she was being bred and had a "mistake". She was a blue silver (probably a korat) but he showed me that there were faint black stripes that shouldn't be there. You could only see them when she was in motion. I thought she was the most beautiful cat I ever saw because I thought she "shimmered" when she walked as a result of the allusion of the stripes (what did I know). She was loved and gave love for 19 years.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett