Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#989738 - 07/08/08 04:40 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Yossarian
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Quote:
When the Republicans took over Congress in 1994, they at least delivered on the Contract with America

That just isn't true, very little of that was ever passed. There were some rules changes in Congress, but most of the major things like a balanced budget amendment, term limits and reducing government agencies did not.

Name one thing they promised that they didn't do.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#989762 - 07/08/08 05:02 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Jokerman
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I think this is just Americans saying they want a major overhaul of the system. While not sure what that is, something has to be modified. Wasn't there another thread recently saying that once a government has been perfected it self destructs??

Return to Top
#989777 - 07/08/08 05:09 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Hated By Some
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Ronzilla
just remember:

mccain=old
obama=change

the american people have spoken

Ron,
Can you explain what, exactly, Obama will change?
Thanks.

Return to Top
#989790 - 07/08/08 05:14 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Hated By Some
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
just remember:

mccain=oldintegrity
obama=changehollow

the american people have spoken got to resist the Kool-aid...

Fixed.

Return to Top
#989797 - 07/08/08 05:19 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Hated By Some
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
just remember:

mccain=old
obama=change

the american people have spoken

McCain = Honest
Obama = Rhetoric, Lies, and Racism

Return to Top
#989804 - 07/08/08 05:21 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits GuitarDude
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Ron,

Just out of curiousity (and not to get off the subject), but where are you working this summer? What internship did you take? Most top tier MBA programs set you up with a summer internship so that you can get good experience in your specialization. Usually you go back and work for them for a second year. Its a nice gig and usually gives that experience necessary for that six figure job.

But it seems like your not doing that. Why? Are you not in a top tier program, or were you just not interested in the jobs (outside of pizza dilvery). Maybe you can go back to that job at the law fir... oh wait.

Return to Top
#989818 - 07/08/08 05:29 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Sound Tactic
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Ron, out of curiousity, are you against the series of checks and balances in our Constitution? I mean if a Democratic controlled congress won't even ATTEMPT to write laws if there's a chance they will get vetoed, meanwhile stonewalling Republican presented ideas in the hopes they can get a Democrat elected, perhaps there is a more serious issue at hand than simple partisanship.

Return to Top
#989856 - 07/08/08 05:49 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits B_F
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I dont think Ron read the article, to me it sounded like he was trying to be a republican. Oh wait that was another article. Bimmer you still have that one?

Return to Top
#989876 - 07/08/08 05:55 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits B_F
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Ron, out of curiousity, are you against the series of checks and balances in our Constitution? I mean if a Democratic controlled congress won't even ATTEMPT to write laws if there's a chance they will get vetoed, meanwhile stonewalling Republican presented ideas in the hopes they can get a Democrat elected, perhaps there is a more serious issue at hand than simple partisanship.

It's actually just another example of learned helplessness. It simply follows the MO of "There will always be a problem with people doing drugs so let's legalize them," "There will always be terrorists so let's quit standing up to them," et al.

Return to Top
#989903 - 07/08/08 06:04 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits kms
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: kms
I dont think Ron read the article, to me it sounded like he was trying to be a republican. Oh wait that was another article. Bimmer you still have that one?

Do you mean this one???

Return to Top
#989917 - 07/08/08 06:12 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Bimmer
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Oh yeah that is the one, maybe Ron should read it to see his boy is trying to become as conservative as Mccain..

Return to Top
#989946 - 07/08/08 06:34 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Quote:
When the Republicans took over Congress in 1994, they at least delivered on the Contract with America

That just isn't true, very little of that was ever passed. There were some rules changes in Congress, but most of the major things like a balanced budget amendment, term limits and reducing government agencies did not.

Well, if your idea of "delivered" means just voting on it without getting it enacted, they probably did, just as the Democrats did with their First 100 Hours. If you mean what didn't they get enacted into law: balanced budget amendment, zero-based budgeting, and term limits.

The Democrats did enact the minimum wage increase, implementing the 9/11 Comission recommendations, ethics reform, and reducing Student loan interest rates.

Return to Top
#989970 - 07/08/08 06:42 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

The Citizen Legislature Act
An amendment to the Constitution that would have imposed 12-year term limits on members of the US Congress (i.e. six terms for Representatives, two terms for Senators). H.J.Res.73[6] rejected by the U.S. House 227-204 (a constitutional amendment requires a two-thirds majority, not a simple majority), 3/29/95; RC #277.

A November 13, 2000 article by Edward H. Crane, president of the libertarian Cato Institute, stated, "... the combined budgets of the 95 major programs that the Contract with America promised to eliminate have increased by 13%." [1]

Return to Top
#990027 - 07/08/08 07:13 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
C'mon guys - you're attorneys, you can read a contract, right?

"we shall bring to the House Floor the following bills, each to be given full and open debate, each to be given a clear and fair vote and each to be immediately available this day for public inspection and scrutiny."

The issue they were attempting to resolve was that the Democrat majority that preceeded them would never allow a vote on these bills - their members would tell their constituents that they supported this or that, but they never had to vote on it. The Republicans promised up or down votes, and delivered. If members of Congress refused to vote for term limits, then it was up to the voters to hold them accountable. They didn't - but it wasn't the fault of the Contract with America.

Return to Top
#990043 - 07/08/08 07:18 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Ok, but how about the spending growth in the programs they promised to eliminate?

Return to Top
#990059 - 07/08/08 07:23 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Can you give a citation for that promise?

Return to Top
#990062 - 07/08/08 07:24 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Hated By Some
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
great, reds. i hope that this presidential election subterfuge pays dividend for you all.

(i don't disagree with removing pelosi and reid though!)

Ron, there is no presidential election subterfuge to it. People who support Senator Obama (you) and people who support Senator McCain (me) both believe that this Congressional leadership leaves much to be desired. I am certainly not saying that one should vote for Senator McCain because the Congressional leadership sucks. I think people should vote for Senator McCain because I think he will be a better President than Senator Obama.

I think the outcome of the Congressional election is totally independent of the Presidential election. I think that chances are good that Senator Obama will indeed be elected. If that happens, I think that people will be disappointed with the results, because of the same issues that plagued the Congressional leadership in 1993-94 - a decided lack of leadership.

Return to Top
#990082 - 07/08/08 07:31 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Can you give a citation for that promise?

A November 13, 2000 article by Edward H. Crane, president of the libertarian Cato Institute, stated, "... the combined budgets of the 95 major programs that the Contract with America promised to eliminate have increased by 13%." [1]

Return to Top
#990087 - 07/08/08 07:33 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
How about a citation from the document itself?

Return to Top
#990092 - 07/08/08 07:35 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
your internet not working?

Return to Top
#990094 - 07/08/08 07:36 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits straw
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
which document? The contract with america or the article?

Return to Top
#990102 - 07/08/08 07:38 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
The Contract with America - you're citing an article written by a libertarian (probably critical of Congressional Republicans, if I had to guess) six years later, as evidence of what was in a document that you could easily find, if your internet was working.

Return to Top
#990110 - 07/08/08 07:42 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Jokerman
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Hey where did Ron go?

Return to Top
#990113 - 07/08/08 07:43 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits kms
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: kms
Hey where did Ron go?

To file for bankrupcy protection?

Return to Top
#990180 - 07/08/08 08:24 PM Re: Congressional approval rating in single digits Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster

Quote:
C'mon guys - you're attorneys, you can read a contract, right?

That's why I made a point of saying:

Quote:
Well, if your idea of "delivered" means just voting on it without getting it enacted, they probably did, just as the Democrats did with their First 100 Hours. If you mean what didn't they get enacted into law: balanced budget amendment, zero-based budgeting, and term limits.

Both parties can "deliver" that way. I was just commenting that not much of the Contract was actually enacted.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5