Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#996926 - 07/16/08 06:06 PM W-9 Changes?
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
Does anyone have information on some changes/revisions that IRS made to the W-9 particularly related to new specifications for LLC payees (something about disregarded entities)? I looked on the IRS website and read the W-9 publication but didn't really see much there.

Thank you!
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
General Discussion
#997467 - 07/17/08 01:23 AM Re: W-9 Changes? CalifDreamin
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Neither the W-9 form or instruction have been updated in 2008. What was the source that generated your question? I think they added an LLC check box in 2006 or 2007. Prior to that you had to check the "other" box and enter LLC. Is that what you are referring too?? The instructions regarding a disregarded entity concerning what name goes where and having to use the owner's number did not change.

Return to Top
#997630 - 07/17/08 01:05 PM Re: W-9 Changes? rlcarey
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
Well, we too hadn't heard of anything really new or complicated. But, our mortg. dept. received information yesterday regarding an upcoming webinar that caused them to ask me the question. The ad for the webinar says:

Quote:
Are you compliant with the new rules and regulations surrounding Form W-9?

Do you have a W-9 on file for all of your vendors?

Using Form W-9:

Compliance Guidelines for TIN Reporting

Course Description: Form W-9, "Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification," was recently updated by the IRS, with new specifications for LLC payees. Find out how to ensure your organization is in compliance in this need-to-know audio conference.

In just 75 minutes, you'll find out:

What name information you need from the payee in order to report payments appropriately
Why there might be a difference between a payee's name and its business name, and why the IRS distinguishes between the two
What information you need from your LLC payees
Why you should presume that your LLC payees are not corporations
What is a disregarded entity
Who receives a Form 1099 when dealing with a disregarded entity
How to identify confusing information provided by your payees, what they may be trying to tell you, and what additional questions you should ask of them
When the form must be signed under penalties of perjury
Plus, you'll get the answers to your specific W-9 questions in the interactive Q&A session following the presentation.

To me, this didn't seem worth the high cost, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thank you!
Last edited by FlamingoGal; 07/17/08 01:05 PM.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#997853 - 07/17/08 03:28 PM Re: W-9 Changes? CalifDreamin
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I agree with rlcarey's analysis...

Nevertheless, the folks in your mortgage department are not going to have a lot of interest in this program anyway. Forms 1098 are only filed on individuals; interest on loans to entities, including LLCs, is not reportable anyway.

Return to Top
#998052 - 07/17/08 05:34 PM Re: W-9 Changes? Elwood P. Dowd
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
Thank you both for the confirmation.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><