Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#995938 - 07/15/08 08:14 PM Sending billing notices after a BK is discharged
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
We had a borrower file Ch 7 BK in 1/08. He has a HELOC with us. We stopped billing notices. The BK was discharged in 6/08.

He's still paying us and intends to do so - in fact his loan matures today and he will be signing a modification to extend the maturity date by another 3 yrs - no new note though (since his is no longer personally liable for the debt).

Can we start sending billing notices again?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#996045 - 07/15/08 08:59 PM Re: Sending billing notices after a BK is discharged Many Hats
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
(since his is no longer personally liable for the debt).

If your loan was included in the bankruptcy and discharged and he did not officially reaffirm the debt through the bankruptcy court then he has no legal obligation to repay you and you have no legal basis to be sending him billing notices.

You probably should be discussing this with your attorney.

Return to Top
#996059 - 07/15/08 09:06 PM Re: Sending billing notices after a BK is discharged Dan Persfull
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
If he requests that we send them, and we have something in writing, could we do it? He actually wants us to; otherwise he has to call each month to find out what is due, so it's an inconvenience to him.

By the way, I have asked our attorney and they are researching it. I guess it's more complicated than a simple yes or no answer.

Return to Top
#996083 - 07/15/08 09:16 PM Re: Sending billing notices after a BK is discharged Many Hats
Marnie Offline
Gold Star
Nevada
You are saying he reaffirmed with you but did not reaffirm his debt with you with the BK Court? Then you say he is no longer personally liable for the debt but you are going to do an extension for a debt he discharged? Definitely get your bank's lawyer involved because I am not sure you are allowed to do this since his debt was officially discharged. That is what BK protection is suppose to prevent; regardless of his reasons for wanting to pay you, he had the chance to reaffirm with you and didn't.

Return to Top
#998238 - 07/17/08 07:00 PM Re: Sending billing notices after a BK is discharged Dan Persfull
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
Quote:
(since his is no longer personally liable for the debt).

If your loan was included in the bankruptcy and discharged and he did not officially reaffirm the debt through the bankruptcy court then he has no legal obligation to repay you and you have no legal basis to be sending him billing notices.

You probably should be discussing this with your attorney.

Our attorney reviewed the BK law and informed us that "they feel comfortable that Riverside can still send notices, even though there was no reaffirmation."

Since he wants notices anyway, I am fine with it, but do you think we should have him submit a written rewuest to us to civer ourselves?

Return to Top
#998251 - 07/17/08 07:09 PM Re: Sending billing notices after a BK is discharged Many Hats
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Man I wish this thing had spell check.

Return to Top
#998309 - 07/17/08 07:37 PM Re: Sending billing notices after a BK is discharged Many Hats
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I'm not sure how the customer can reaffirm this debt after it has been discharged but I would get the attorney opinion in writing and I would get something in writing from the customer.

Spell checker:

http://www.iespell.com/

Return to Top
#998340 - 07/17/08 07:49 PM Re: Sending billing notices after a BK is discharged Dan Persfull
Ray_ Offline
Platinum Poster
Dallas, TX
Dan you have a link for everything!

I sure would like to know what compliance/reference goodies you use!

Return to Top
#998413 - 07/17/08 08:44 PM Re: Sending billing notices after a BK is discharged Ray_
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I got the spell check link from Andy a few years ago.

I primarily use AllRegs, but I have links to the FDIC Rules and Regs, the GIR, the MPIG, FEMA, FFIEC, some that I got from others posting in the threads and others that I've accumulated over the years; and I'm fairly decent at searching... :).

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z