Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#24775 - 07/22/02 07:02 PM Free Checking
Mary B Offline
Mary B
Kansas
If you have multiple types of checking accounts, and one of them does not meet the definition of free, can you do a TV commercial which says that we have free checking? We do have free checking - and we don't. Now I know that TIS says you can't advertise an account as free if it isn't, and this isn't advertising an account - but rather a type of account. I always thought that you couldn't advertise your checking accounts as free, if they weren't all free. But apparently, other banks are doing this, and therefore, I should be, too. ????

Return to Top
General Discussion
#24776 - 07/22/02 07:12 PM Re: Free Checking
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
So, if I understand this right you have many different types of account buy you are advertising something like "Come see us at First National Bank. We offer mortgage loans, CD's, Free Checking and Safe Deposit!" ( Now you know why I am in compliance and not marketing )
Yes, you can advertise that you have Free checking as long as one of you checking accounts qualifies under TIS as a free account. It is the customer's choice if they choose to open a free account or go with another one.

Return to Top
#24777 - 07/22/02 07:17 PM Re: Free Checking
Anonymous
Unregistered

We advertise our free checking account and we also have another account that is not free. I don't see what the problem is...you are advertising a specific account that you offer.

Return to Top
#24778 - 07/22/02 07:42 PM Re: Free Checking
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
I have always been taught that it is only FREE if it is really free (in other words, you are not charging anything, no check charges, no overdraft charges, etc.) but if it is free from monthly service charges than you can say that -- Service Charge Free - or something like that. (And, I used to be in Marketing.....)

Opinions are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.

Return to Top
#24779 - 07/22/02 09:03 PM Re: Free Checking
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Sue -- Imposing a charge on a free account for NSF or overdrafts does not take away your ability to advertize it as free. The only fees that kill your use of "free" are those imposed if a minimum balance requirement is missed, a maintenance fee or an activity fee.

But ATM charges are not fees if the customer can access the account via other than the ATM. Certified check fees are OK, too. And charges for checkbooks are acceptable.

Take a look at the Commentary to ยง230.8.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top