Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#35995 - 10/04/02 08:12 PM HIPAA Compliance Plan
Jayda's Mom Offline
100 Club
North
Just wondering if anyone has already filed their HIPAA Compliance Plan with Dept. of Health and Human Services. If so, is anyone willing to share?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#35996 - 10/04/02 08:49 PM Re: HIPAA Compliance Plan
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
We just heard of this for the first time yesterday. Since then we were scrambling around trying to decide if it was applicable to us, thankfully not. Do you have a copy of the sample letter?

Return to Top
#35997 - 10/04/02 09:00 PM Re: HIPAA Compliance Plan
Jayda's Mom Offline
100 Club
North
I pulled a copy of the extension letter from this link.
http://www.hipaabanking.org/HIPAAextensionltrfinal.doc

Return to Top
#35998 - 10/04/02 09:39 PM Re: HIPAA Compliance Plan
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
For a while there when we were unsure if this was going to apply to us, we considered filing that letter to buy more time. The way that I read the letter is that it lets you plead ignorance if you're not sure if it is applicable to you. Then they contact you based on the information you provided to them to assist you in your determination. Good luck.

Return to Top
#35999 - 10/04/02 10:01 PM Re: HIPAA Compliance Plan
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
The information I've heard is that the extension is granted automatically upon filing of the extension letter, no questions asked. If you've read the ABA/NACHA white paper, you know that they have raised some issues that will have to be addressed as far as how HIPAA applies to banks. Word on the street is that there won't be a reply to the white paper before 1st quarter next year. I feel any bank who even has the slightest question of whether this applies to them should file the extension letter and then wait for more interpretation.

Return to Top
#36000 - 10/07/02 07:54 PM Re: HIPAA Compliance Plan
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
We are filing extension letters for all of our banks. Until DHHS responds to the white-paper recommendations, we are going to sit tight.

Return to Top
#36001 - 10/10/02 08:11 PM Re: HIPAA Compliance Plan
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, 10/16 is almost here!

To file an extension or not to file an extension...that is the question. And the answer is.....?

Return to Top
#36002 - 10/10/02 08:27 PM Re: HIPAA Compliance Plan
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
File it! It just says that it's still unclear whether you're covered by the law, and that if you're deemed to be covered, you'll be in compliance by the deadline (10/16/03).

Return to Top