Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#59860 - 02/07/03 05:10 PM Replies and Such
elcinoca Offline
Platinum Poster
Elizabeth City, NC
Sometimes it is better just to let it go.

Perhaps one thing more annoying than the "Vegan2" or the "Grist" are the threads that run on for pages and pages allowing our membership to be attacked whilst we keep on goading the attacker. All of us remember our parents or teachers at least 100 million times in our lives say "if you ignore it, it'll go away!"

Sometimes the best reply is NO reply at all.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few -- or the one." Spock, USS Enterprise

MarkB

Return to Top
General Discussion
#59861 - 02/07/03 05:22 PM Re: Replies and Such
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Agreed! Perhaps we should create a rule for our forum that states, "Silence does NOT imply consent".

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#59862 - 02/07/03 05:57 PM Re: Replies and Such
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with that statement too, but it bothers me when someone attacks someone I respect like Andy. (who gave a great reply)

I had to sound off here since I held my tongue on the other thread.

LA anon. Have a great day!

Return to Top
#59863 - 02/07/03 06:01 PM Re: Replies and Such
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Is it not time to consider "closing" the discussion forum, so that only those who have registered can access it? I know that it won't stop all irrelevant and/ or abusive postings, but it will stop the casual net surfer from feeling they can march in here and mouth off.

Return to Top
#59864 - 02/07/03 06:03 PM Re: Replies and Such
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Or maybe only a registered user can use the Anonymous feature (for anonymity of course
on sensitive issues).

Return to Top
#59865 - 02/07/03 06:07 PM Re: Replies and Such
Anonymous
Unregistered

I value my privacy and prefer to post as anon. Ocasionally I sign as LA anon knowing a few users can recognize that, but I hope this site does not restrict nonregistered users.

Return to Top
#59866 - 02/07/03 06:07 PM Re: Replies and Such
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Good idea - have a "Post anonymously" check-box, like the "Email all replies..." and "I want to preview my post" options that appear above the "Continue" button when writing a new post.

Return to Top
#59867 - 02/07/03 06:20 PM Re: Replies and Such
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I see your point, and I have posted anonymously myself in certain situations. But I would hate to see an ill intentioned visitor hijack your LA anon designation and reduce the perceived value of your contributions.

Return to Top
#59868 - 02/07/03 06:29 PM Re: Replies and Such
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
LA anon, I agree with JacFSB. Protect your alias. Also, give us a little information in your profile when you register. I don't think that knowing if you work for a Commercial Bank, a Savings Bank or a Credit Union would give you away. Nor would indicating if you are a Compliance Officer or an Auditor or an attorney. You might even give your state without breaching your confidentiality.

Those sorts of thing help us understand your perspective (if necessary), and registering gives the ability to "recognize" you (so you can build credibility), even if we don't know who you are.

Return to Top
#59869 - 02/07/03 06:41 PM Re: Replies and Such
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I am so glad that you said something about this. By reading the post in question, I was wondering why anyone even bothered to say something. However, everyone registered (or not) had some valid points. I have to agree that the best response in cases like this is no response.

Return to Top
#59870 - 02/07/03 07:23 PM Re: Replies and Such
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Amen! I've been reading and it appears the responses are fueling anon's desires. It has become a game.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#59871 - 02/07/03 07:43 PM Re: Replies and Such
Anonymous
Unregistered

ya it has kinda become a game im bored now, at first it wasnt a game now it is. Maybe ill register and make it really intresting.

Return to Top