Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#202840 - 06/22/04 06:50 PM Elections going on in town
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have an election for sheriff here in town and the one candidate has put a flyer in our lobby I didn't think we could do this. We are in Oklahoma. Can anyone help me with this?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#202841 - 06/22/04 08:03 PM Re: Elections going on in town
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
This is the guidance for national banks. If you're nationally chartered, you probably need to get the flyer out of your lobby.

Return to Top
#202842 - 06/23/04 12:40 AM Re: Elections going on in town
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Leslie, does this mean as an officer of a National bank you cannot make a contribution to a campaign?

"In addition, it is unlawful for any officer or any director of a national bank to consent to any political contribution or expenditure prohibited by the Act, and it is unlawful for any candidate, political committee, or other person to knowingly accept or receive a political contribution or expenditure prohibited by the Act. 2 USC 441b."

Return to Top
#202843 - 06/23/04 08:31 PM Re: Elections going on in town
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
If Lestie is making the contribution in her capacity as an officer of the bank, yes. This National Bank Act prohibits banks from making contributions. It does not prohibit private citizens from making contributions.

Lestie, I presume that you consider the free advertising forum "a thing of value," and therefore a contribtution under the Act?

Return to Top
#202844 - 06/23/04 10:15 PM Re: Elections going on in town
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Quote:

I presume that you consider the free advertising forum "a thing of value," and therefore a contribtution under the Act?

That's how we've always interpreted it. Seems like that's how the candidate's opponent would interpret it as well.

Banks usually form PACs (political action committees) whereby officers can make individual donations, and the PAC supports candidates, etc. Just has to be completely separate from the Bank.

Return to Top
#202845 - 06/24/04 01:25 AM Re: Elections going on in town
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Hey, its in Oklahoma...Sooner or

Return to Top