Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#292197 - 12/22/04 07:32 PM Hold Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you suspect a customer of check kiting.....and you place a hold, do you still have to give notice?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#292198 - 12/22/04 09:24 PM Re: Hold Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, you could place an exception hold and use the notice for "reasonable cause to doubt collectibility." I believe ours has some language such as "we have confidential information that indicates the check may not be paid."

Return to Top
#292199 - 12/22/04 10:04 PM Re: Hold Notice
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Anonymous #2 is correct, you can use the reasonably cause exception hold and you do have to provide the notice. Under reasons, you can use the statement "We have confidential information that indicates the check may not be paid" on the customer's notice. However, on the bank's copy of the notice (which you are required to retain), you must note the specific information that led to this hold, such as "we had evidence that the customer is kiting." Simply having the confidential information statement on the bank's copy of the notice is not enough.

Return to Top
#292200 - 12/22/04 10:07 PM Re: Hold Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to you both for your reply.

Return to Top
#292201 - 12/22/04 10:12 PM Re: Hold Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

I for some reason am having trouble finding the reference, but don't you have to provide a CASE by CASE hold notice for a NON-EXCEPTION hold if you extend say beyond your general policy of next day? Does anyone have the reference for that section?

Return to Top
#292202 - 12/22/04 10:13 PM Re: Hold Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Never mind to the posting just above about the reference number.....I FOUND IT!!! Thanks anyway.

Return to Top