Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#362283 - 05/20/05 08:10 PM Operations Training
Trigger Mike Offline
I have spent the first 5+ years of my banking career in the areas of audit & compliance. Now, I am preparing for a shift into operations management. Does anyone have any advice as far as training programs, seminars, etc. that might be useful in helping prepare me for this switch? I am attending Year 1 of the BAI Grad. School of Bank Operations & Technology @ Vanderbilt Univ. in June, followed by Year 1 of the Grad. School of Retail Banking @ Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison in July. I'm hoping these will be a great start, but would appreciate any insight that other industry professionals (such as all of you!) might have.

Thanks!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#362284 - 05/20/05 08:29 PM Re: Operations Training
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
Your audit knowledge will help you make the transition. Just use your experience to keep from making the types of mistakes you found in those areas you audited.

I went from Audit to IT and am now in Risk Mgt. You should be fine. Make sure you get some Management training - dealing with people working for you - if you have not had that responsibility before.

Return to Top
#362285 - 05/21/05 12:13 AM Re: Operations Training
RedRaven Offline
Downey, CA
Having gone from Operations (14 years Branch) to Audit (2) and now to Security (5), I can tell you that my Operations experience has been very important. Use this opportunity to learn from those who have been in operations a long time. Basic banking knowledge is critical and if you learn the system well, you're previous experience will be a big bonus. Good luck!

Return to Top
#362286 - 05/23/05 02:13 PM Re: Operations Training
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
I would advise spending time on the front line running a cash drawer, opening new accounts, and taking a few loan applications. I've found that doing these positions also helps you to understand why things work like they do in the backroom opeations areas.

Return to Top
#362287 - 05/24/05 04:01 PM Re: Operations Training
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went from loan ops to compliance to audit and recently promoted to senior operations officer. I can tell you that my audit and compliance experience has been extremely helpful now that I down in the trenches. I have taken as many operations seminars, purchased resource material, gone to operations conferences (great info here, and thank goodness for my Cashier buddies who are always so helpful in providing some insight. However, nothing like getting down in the trenches and getting involved in as much of backroom ops as possible. Get good supportive and knowledgable staff, use all your resources and above all stay focused. Too much to deal with when you are in this position such as staffing, operating costs and controlling expenses, pricing and product development, training and good controls, customer service, setting goals and objectives and much more. The toughest part has been dealing with staff issues, however, I never stop learning. Best wishes
Gigi

Return to Top
#362288 - 05/24/05 07:48 PM Re: Operations Training
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope you have lots of time after you finish both schools if you plan on attending year 2 at both. Unless things have changed and I'm sure they have since I was in Madison there is a lot of homework, with deadlines, to be completed before returning for year 2. You might plan on not having much of a social life while trying to attend both schools. They both are very good and you will learn a lot. I'm guessing you're going to be one tired person by Christmas when the first project is due. Good Luck

Return to Top