Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#506086 - 02/28/06 05:45 PM Documentation for Municipal Account
tamhat Offline
New Poster
We have a city treasurer that facilitates the changing of signatures on the many checking accounts that the City has with us. She argues that they are exempt from having to produce board minutes or any written documentation for the signers to be changed. I can't find anything to support this claim. Please help.
thank you, Tammy
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 02/28/06 05:50 PM.
Return to Top
General Discussion
#506087 - 03/02/06 11:56 AM Re: Documentation for Municipal Account
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
There are no federal legal requirements that you obtain board minutes or documentation in support of changes in signatories. It's purely a matter of due diligence as implemented by bank policy. Accordingly, the only source of "exemption" is your bank.

Giving the Treasurer the benefit of the doubt, it's possible that other banks have told her the municipality is not subject to CIP. That's true, but irrelevant to documents demonstrating who has authority over the account.

This is an odd source of resistance; such meetings would generally be "public," and most states have "open record" laws. Generally, anybody could see those minutes and obtain copies.

Return to Top
#506088 - 03/02/06 03:58 PM Re: Documentation for Municipal Account
tamhat Offline
New Poster
thank you,
isn't the bank at risk & in compiance violation if we don't get these documents?

Return to Top