Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1055163 - 10/01/08 03:08 PM FDIC Interim Rule Change Naming Beneficiaries
lblu Offline
Gold Star
lblu
I need some help figuring out one component of the recent FDIC Interim Rule. I would appreciate your thoughts on the following.

The notification of the Interim Rule stated "We strongly encourage owners of revocable trust accounts to make certain that the names of their beneficiaries are included in the bank's records."

I just looked at the Federal Register published Interim Rule. I noticed the following was paragraph was no longer there:

"330.10(f)(4) In order for a depositor to qualify for the living trust account coverage provided under this paragraph (f), the title of the account must reflect that the funds] in the account are held pursuant to a formal revocable trust.[b There is no requirement, however, that the deposit accounts records of the depository institution indicate the names of the beneficiaries of the living trust and their ownership interests in the trust."[/b] However, the only reference to requiring beneficiary records was for informal trusts.

Based on the above, is there still no requirement that foraml revocable trusts indicate beneficiary names in the deposit account records? Thanks for your help.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1055686 - 10/01/08 06:39 PM Re: FDIC Interim Rule Change Naming Beneficiaries lblu
nbk2yj2 Offline
Platinum Poster
Paradise!
Yes that is right.

"The notification of the Interim Rule stated "We strongly encourage owners of revocable trust accounts to make certain that the names of their beneficiaries are included in the bank's records." This is referring to informal revocable trusts (POD)

Return to Top
#1055856 - 10/01/08 08:06 PM Re: FDIC Interim Rule Change Naming Beneficiaries nbk2yj2
Marnie Offline
Gold Star
Nevada
For informal trust accounts, POD accounts, the title should read "Jane Doe, POD". It is not required to put the beneficiary names in the title, only on the account records, i.e. sig card, sytem, etc. I asked this question directly during one of the FDIC teleconferences on FDIC insurance recntly.

Return to Top