Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1216683 - 07/13/09 08:09 PM Board of Directors - What to Train on?
hsimmers Offline
100 Club
The EVP wants to do continuing training with the board of directors about compliance issues. Probably once a quarter, he wants to go "over" something to do with either a Reg or some other issue. Anyone have any suggestions? What do you "train" your board on?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1216734 - 07/13/09 08:55 PM Re: Board of Directors - What to Train on? hsimmers
Skyline Offline
Platinum Poster
Skyline
IMHO...BSA, Information Security/Privacy, CRA, and Reg O are where I would begin.

Consumer related regs would be next: ECOA, HMDA, FCRA, TIL, TIS, etc. (the ones that the regulators concentrate on).

Then address the others and don't forget about other areas like HR.

Document, document, document.

Return to Top
#1216742 - 07/13/09 09:06 PM Re: Board of Directors - What to Train on? Skyline
TMichelle Offline
100 Club
I do a 5 or 10 minute training session with our Board each month. I try break down different pieces of BSA, CIP, OFAC etc. One paragraph of what it is, one paragraph of what we do to comply and last what repercussions we could have for not complying properly.

Return to Top
#1216846 - 07/14/09 01:09 PM Re: Board of Directors - What to Train on? TMichelle
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I try to put it at the 30,000 level for them...

why we are training them, what is the rule or group of rules we are looking at, how does it affect the bank, what am I or the bank doing to comply, what are the penalties (monetary and non-monetray) for non-compliance, and if applicable, how can they personally be held accountable as directors for inaction.

Usually just a short 5-20 minute dicussion on a new topic each month, about 8-9 months out of the year.

My topics are:

Annual Program Intro
Various sections of the FDI Act
BSA/AML/USAPA
Fair Lending Laws
Deposit Regs Summary
GLBA/Privacy
Credit Regs Summary
CRA/Reg O

Return to Top