Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1259785 - 09/30/09 10:29 PM Annual Board Compliance Training
dollars & sense Offline
Gold Star
Would anyone be willing to share what they do for annual board of director compliance training? Handouts? Powerpoint? Anything?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1260577 - 10/02/09 12:42 PM Re: Annual Board Compliance Training dollars & sense
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Usually a power point package in paper form, they like it.

Return to Top
#1260582 - 10/02/09 12:49 PM Re: Annual Board Compliance Training dollars & sense
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
I used the booklet "The Executive Guide to Compliance Regulations" from BOL. It provides a reg on a page (high level summary), and is 31 pages long, and was relatively inexpensive.

I give each board member a copy and pick a few regs to talk about at each session. My copy has marginal notes with talking points on why the law came into being or penalties for non compliance.

Return to Top
#1262076 - 10/06/09 10:48 AM Re: Annual Board Compliance Training dollars & sense
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The FDIC's Pocket Guide for Directors is a good starting point in general, but it is not devoted to compliance issues.

Return to Top
#1263040 - 10/07/09 04:30 PM Re: Annual Board Compliance Training Elwood P. Dowd
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City put out a "Basics for Bank Directors" a few years back, that is very comprehensive.

I use it as the basis for mopst of my Board training, as the first chapter ia Regulatory Compliance. Also very heavy on soundness information as well. It is a good resource to use as a starting point, IMO.

Return to Top
#1263185 - 10/07/09 06:37 PM Re: Annual Board Compliance Training #Just Jay
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
We are a very small bank. A couple of years back we only provided compliance training annually to the Board. Examiner was not happy with this frequency so we have been training quarterly since then.

Return to Top
#1263221 - 10/07/09 07:10 PM Re: Annual Board Compliance Training OnTheEdge
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
dollars & sense - I am very surprised that your regulators are happy with annual training. Most banks I work with migrated to ongoing training (covering some topic at each meeting); many after being "strongly encouraged" to do so by their examiners.

From a compliance perspective, I think it makes much more sense to manage the training on an ongoing basis. Many of the routine agenda items provide ideal opportunities for a compliance discussion. Most of these are short and specific.

For example, when reviewing the Annual GLBA Info Security report, they also get a 5 to 10 minute GLBA training presentation. Just be sure to document it as such.

Return to Top