Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1532467 - 04/06/11 08:03 PM Employee orders a credit report on himself
Tessie Offline
100 Club
The manager of our bank orderd a credit report for himself because of his car insurance that went up because of his credit score. He was checking for fraud on his credit card. Can an employee order his own credit score from his business to check his score. It wasn't because he had a loan or anything like that.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1532496 - 04/06/11 08:17 PM Re: Employee orders a credit report on himself Tessie
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
No. This can invalidate your contract with the credit bureau and at my institution could get you fired.

It's not a permissable purpose. The bank has to have a permissable purpose to pull a CR. "Checking my own credit b/c my car insurance" doesn't factor into that. He had other avenues to monitor/confirm his credit information. Does he not understand how the credit bureaus work, FCRA, etc? annualcreditreport.com ???

Return to Top
#1532531 - 04/06/11 08:46 PM Re: Employee orders a credit report on himself Always In Training
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
This is not good at all and should be investigated and he should be at least reprimanded, if not terminated.

Return to Top
#1532563 - 04/06/11 09:34 PM Re: Employee orders a credit report on himself Skittles
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I agree - reprimand and introduce to annualcreditreport.com.

Return to Top
#1532601 - 04/06/11 11:49 PM Re: Employee orders a credit report on himself BrendaC
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Although the report was on himself, you have to ask yourself, was this law violated?

§ 619. Obtaining information under false pretenses [15 U.S.C. § 1681q] Any person who knowingly and willfully obtains information on a consumer from a consumer reporting agency under false pretenses shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.

Return to Top
#1532648 - 04/07/11 12:42 PM Re: Employee orders a credit report on himself rlcarey
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Although the report was on himself, you have to ask yourself, was this law violated?

§ 619. Obtaining information under false pretenses [15 U.S.C. § 1681q] Any person who knowingly and willfully obtains information on a consumer from a consumer reporting agency under false pretenses shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.

What would you consider to be the false pretense?

Return to Top
#1532652 - 04/07/11 12:47 PM Re: Employee orders a credit report on himself Bob The Banker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
No permisibile purpose and used his position (under false pretense) to obtain the credit report through the bank by violating the bank's certification under the bank's contract with the credit bureau.

Return to Top