Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1633359 - 11/30/11 01:34 AM CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The CFPB has submitted for publication in the Federal Register a request for comment from "the public for streamlining regulations it recently inherited from other Federal agencies. This Notice asks the public to identify provisions of the inherited regulations that the Bureau should make the highest priority for updating, modifying, or eliminating because they are outdated, unduly burdensome, or unnecessary. The Notice discusses several specific requirements that may warrant review. It also seeks suggestions for practical measures to make complying with the regulations easier."

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Streamlining_Notice_1129.pdf
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1633360 - 11/30/11 01:39 AM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs Kathleen O. Blanchard

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Also, 14 laws are being moved to Chapter X of Title 12, the CFPB:

The Consumer Leasing Act, the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (except with respect to Section 920 of that Act), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (except with respect to Sections 615(e) and 628 of that act), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Subsections (b) through (f) of Section 43 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act, Sections 502 through 509 of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (except for Section 505 as it applies to Section 501(b)), the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the S.A.F.E. Mortgage Licensing Act, the Truth in Lending Act, the Truth in Savings Act, Section 626 of the Omnibus Appropriations Act, 2009, and the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act.

Return to Top
#1633393 - 11/30/11 12:29 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs Kathleen O. Blanchard
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Great! 20 years of memorizing specific regulatory citations will be vaporized. I think I am going to retire smile

Return to Top
#1633408 - 11/30/11 01:33 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs rlcarey
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
This sounds like a complete cluster xxx waiting to happen. What a mess this could be!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1633409 - 11/30/11 01:36 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs RR Joker

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Maybe they should leave these regularly used regs and switch the FRB and the CFPB in the CFR! laugh Of course, some of the other FRB regs are referred to all the time as well but not quite as much as these. (And of course RESPA will move from HUD.) But it had to happen, and actually was expected. I will need a huge chart!
Last edited by Kathleen B; 11/30/11 01:37 PM.

Return to Top
#1633485 - 11/30/11 03:01 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs Kathleen O. Blanchard
cbinder63 Offline

Platinum Poster
cbinder63
Colorado
It'll be simple now - Chapter X.

Return to Top
#1633492 - 11/30/11 03:08 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs cbinder63
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
CRA - will CRA be moved to the Bureau?

Return to Top
#1633494 - 11/30/11 03:09 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs cbinder63

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I meant for the individual line item citations such as each requirement under Reg Z. If all that changes is the chapter number, that will be great. If the Subchapter and part numbers change, it will be a big conversion in our heads.

But this is speculation. We will see how they convert the info.

Return to Top
#1633507 - 11/30/11 03:21 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs Kathleen O. Blanchard
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
My hope is that for all the transferred regulations that are currently the FRB's "lettered" regulations, that, for example, they just make the FRB's Regulation B the CFPB's Regulation B with a similar numbering system. That would minimize the changes for those regs and keep the familiar lettering terminology.

Return to Top
#1633509 - 11/30/11 03:23 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs Ted Dreyer

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I hope so too. That would be simplest. And since the Fed's Reg D does not transfer over, there is no conflict with the CFPB Reg D. The others can fall into place around it.

Return to Top
#1633533 - 11/30/11 03:42 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs Kathleen O. Blanchard
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What's with Chapter X anyway? First FinCEN and now this??? I feel like this has something to do with the X Files or something smile

Return to Top
#1633539 - 11/30/11 03:45 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs rlcarey

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
It was available?

Return to Top
#1633603 - 11/30/11 04:37 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs Kathleen O. Blanchard
NU Rhules Offline
Gold Star
NU Rhules
SE, Nebraska
X Files....the Tin foil hat discussion is in that other forum. smile
This could be a mess, but hopefully they have a big white board and some cool heads helping to keep it organized as they take inputs and reduce both agency overlapping regs and confusion. Looking forward to a reg combing RESPA and TIL. Also for clarification, today they only issued a Draft Notice as part of their press release. The actual Fed Reg publication will be in about 5-7 days. You can always tell the real NPRM or Notice - it has the actual Comment period defined.

Return to Top
#1633607 - 11/30/11 04:39 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs NU Rhules

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
That's why I said they had submitted for publication in the Federal Register! All that will change will be the date of publication and resulting comment period. Might as well start reading now.

I think we should all be glad of an opportunity for improving things.

Return to Top
#1635147 - 12/05/11 01:36 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs Kathleen O. Blanchard
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The Notice and request for information was published in today's Federal Register (12/5/11), 76 FR 75825. There's a 90-day comment period ending March 5, 2012 to be followed by a "comment on the comments" period of 30 days, ending (at least for now) on April 3, 2012.

Readers and commenters, start your engines!
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1635157 - 12/05/11 01:57 PM Re: CFPB Request for Comment - Inherited Regs Burgess
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: burgess
CRA - will CRA be moved to the Bureau?

CRA isn't a consumer protection law, and it's used in making branch, merger and acquisition application decisions. It is not one of the 14 consumer laws being transferred to the Bureau.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top