Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2166052 - 02/27/18 07:46 PM Donation Jars
Karen A. Luttrell Offline
Karen A. Luttrell
Central NY
Are banks allowed to set up donation jars at the teller windows to collect money for cancer benefit?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2166092 - 02/27/18 09:42 PM Re: Donation Jars Karen A. Luttrell
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sure, but where does it stop and who gets the choose the charity and how will you control the funds collected? Also, check your code of conduct.

Return to Top
#2166250 - 02/28/18 10:26 PM Re: Donation Jars Karen A. Luttrell
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
There is no prohibition but as Randy noted, good causes can come out of the woodwork. We also had someone just grab a jar and leave and I've heard of people who just come in looking like they belong and start collecting the jar money. The person wasn't THE person. In our case the bank then felt an obligation to replace the funds stolen.

Verify the cause is real, not a fake cancer patient scam.
Who will the bank do these for, and who won't it?
Who handles collection and accounting?
Who checks on who is collecting?
What must the bank do, secure them at night?

At the end of the day it turns into a little work.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2166255 - 02/28/18 10:45 PM Re: Donation Jars Karen A. Luttrell
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
It's a good way to catch a teller dropping that extra nickel into the jar so they balance at the end of the day.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2166263 - 03/01/18 12:12 AM Re: Donation Jars Karen A. Luttrell
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Karen - All the comments above list good reasons NOT to get involved in things like this. There's no business case that this is good for your shareholders. Policy permitting, the bank might want to contribute to the cause--simple, clean, responsive to a perceived need in the community--and causing no loss of staff productivity.

Return to Top
#2167675 - 03/12/18 07:16 PM Re: Donation Jars Karen A. Luttrell
TaraSue Offline
I'm a little late commenting here, but have a bit of experience with the. I work at a small community bank. We actually bought a large piggy bank and have it at the information desk. We match donations and focus on locally based charities. We clean out the bank once a quarter. It probably takes us about a half hour each quarter to count and get a check out the door. Our customers have appreciated having the chance to donate. Perhaps keeping away from the teller line and having it something that can not be easily reached into is the key. We're had this out for about two years now with no problems.

Return to Top
#2204350 - 01/29/19 09:20 PM Re: Donation Jars Karen A. Luttrell
Cschaefer Offline
New Poster
We are Participating in red awareness day. The employees donate to that particular charity and in return, they wear a that color (red in this Case). My question is, we are contemplating selling buttons from this charity to employees and customers if they wish. All funds collected will go to the charity. Is this allowed??

Return to Top