Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2235349 - 04/21/20 07:48 PM Weapons in Safe Deposit?
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
Weird situation.... need some advice.... not sure, if any reporting needs to be done. I am going to start research now, but figured I would ask a question.

Customer came in to access his Safe Deposit Box. Apparently he had a pistol stored in his Safe Deposit Box and did not bring anything to properly conceal the weapon leaving the building. As such, he asked the tellers for a bag or something to properly store it for removal. This obviously shook them up a bit.

Questions...
Can you legally store a firearm in a safe deposit box? Should we report this?

- No threats were made. We are a small community bank, I think the guy genuinely wanted to follow the laws and properly conceal it leaving the building.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2235353 - 04/21/20 08:15 PM Re: Weapons in Safe Deposit? praBSA
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
1. Check with legal counsel as safe deposit law varies by jurisdiction.
2. Have legal counsel review your safe deposit agreement as you have the right to state in the agreement what items you will not permit to be stored in the box.

Return to Top
#2235386 - 04/22/20 10:50 AM Re: Weapons in Safe Deposit? praBSA
praBSA Offline
Gold Star
Our safe deposit box does indeed prohibit storing firearms in safe deposit boxes. We are exiting that relationship due to the breach. The customer returned the weapon to the box until he could safely transport the weapon out while concealed. He has an appointment to come back in today. We are requesting local police be on scene when he obtains it.

Return to Top
#2235391 - 04/22/20 12:21 PM Re: Weapons in Safe Deposit? praBSA
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Wow. Somehow it seems extreme, but again probably depends on jurisdiction. At my prior much larger community bank, we had safe sized lockers and some customers had quite the collection I've heard.

Seriously, though, if you are going to limit what can be stored in your boxes, you might consider adopting a policy of actually going over those limitations with customers. As you know, it's rare anyone reads the fine print.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2235400 - 04/22/20 01:47 PM Re: Weapons in Safe Deposit? praBSA
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Unless you're in a very restrictive state, why the police? The customer was upfront with the bank.

Community bank - a gun collector rented a large SD box - they were seasonal and preferred not to leave some valuable guns unattended during the summers, besides being secured, temperature and humidity controlled, etc. Several pistols were 1700 and 1800 museum quality worth $100K + each.
(No, he did not show them around the bank - knowledge as a family friend)

Return to Top
#2235435 - 04/22/20 03:39 PM Re: Weapons in Safe Deposit? praBSA
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Prohibiting the storage of firearms in safe deposit boxes seems extreme and unnecessary (unless state or local laws are a factor.) A handgun is no more dangerous than a box of paperclips until it is loaded. If you want to ban something, ban ammunition.

Return to Top
#2235573 - 04/23/20 08:27 PM Re: Weapons in Safe Deposit? Richard Insley
TomS Offline
Gold Star
USA
And the problem with banning anything is that you don't know (or aren't supposed to know) what a customer puts in their box. Nothing wrong with banning something, but it's certainly not foolproof.

Return to Top