Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#15780 - 04/18/02 07:04 PM Finance Charges & Amount Financed
Bville Offline
Diamond Poster
Bville
Out West
I have a very basic question about a situation that makes absolutely no sense to me. I really need to understand this. When figuring amount financed, why do you subtract prepaid finance charges? If I get a loan for $50,000 and I prepay $100 in interest then (ignoring everything else) the amount financed is $49,900? But I still owe $50,000 of principal because that is what I owe, but it's not the amount financed. Is there something basic about lending that I don't understand?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#15781 - 04/18/02 08:28 PM Re: Finance Charges & Amount Financed
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
The purpose of the TIL disclosures is to provide the borrower with the cost of the benefit they receive from the borrowing. You subtract the prepaid interest from the loan amount amount beacuse it is part of the cost of obtaining the credit not part of the credit itself.

Return to Top
#15782 - 04/18/02 09:08 PM Re: Finance Charges & Amount Financed
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Paul is absolutely on target. It comes out of the amount financed, is added into your finance charge(because that $100 is a finance charge) and thus affects your APR calculation. This is one of those calculations that make no sense to any loan officer ever! It's really fun to explain when the customer pays it out of pocket and it's not financed. Same thing occurs - it has to or the APR will not be correct.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#15783 - 04/19/02 04:14 AM Re: Finance Charges & Amount Financed
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I like to think of it this way. The loan amount is the "gross" amount. I owe you this plus simple interest calculated on this. The amount financed is the "net" amount of the loan. This is how much my checking account is increasing. I realize that this may not be the anwer to the question you asked, but I thought it might be helpful.

Return to Top
#15784 - 04/19/02 01:27 PM Re: Finance Charges & Amount Financed
Anonymous
Unregistered

The way I explain to our folks is, the amount financed equals the funds the borrower actually has for his/her use.

Return to Top